Question about memory

This is a discussion on Question about memory within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; On the bottom of manage applications, you see the memory make up. Like this..... XX available + XX in XX Other: XX in XX Can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about memory

On the bottom of manage applications, you see the memory make up.

Like this..... XX available + XX in XX Other: XX in XX

Can someone please explain what each of the variables mean? Thanks!

PS...I searched 'memory' here and couldn't find this question asked. If it has been, please direct me to the thread.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My phone currently says: Avail: 31 MB + 28 MB in 9 on the left side and Other: 73 MB in 6 on the right side.

What this means is that I have 31 MB of free RAM (memory not currently being used by any app) and 28 MB of RAM that is being used in 9 apps but can be made available by Android if it is needed. I also have 73 MB of RAM being used by 6 applications that cannot be made available.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thank you very much! Is there a way to tell how much memory each app is using? I know you can look at running apps, but does it show somewhere how much memory they are hogging?

Mine currently says available: 24MB + 36 in 14 Other: 54MB in 7

I think there is an app on the market that can give you that kind of information. I can not remember the name of it right now but it was posted on the forums at one time.
    Motorola Droid 4

Just to clarify, (at least on my Ally) those numbers appear at the bottom of the "Applications Settings" submenu, not the "Manage Applications" submenu. Is this the correct place to find them?

Oh, and AA, great explanation! Thanks!

For me they appear under Settings -> Applications -> Running Services.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thanks AA !! I just posted this question in the FAQ area then found the answer here.

I do have a follow-up question though, in your example you state that you have 28 MB of RAM that can be made available. How can the memory be made available?

It's not because the "running services" are using the memory I'm sure beacuse I don't have 9 applications (to borrow your example again) running. Your incite is appreciated in advance!

The system will keep your most recently used apps in the RAM so that you can pop in and out to apps. The Apps that are oldest are given less "priority." So as you open more apps those with the least priority are removed from the RAM for the newer App. Long press on the Home Key will summon your 6 most recently used apps. It is very helpful for switching between apps quickly.

With 256 MB of RAM, why are the avail numbers so low? When I look at Running services and close virtually everything I can, I'm still looking at (for example) 17 + 32 in 7 , other: 84 in 8. I only left "android keyboard" running and I know other "apps" must be running that ""Running Services" won't show, but what is using up so much of the 256 that is in the phone?

Kevin, who told you that you have that much RAM? Disregard Windows. Linux uses RAM very differently. Android is Linux based.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links