I'm No Geek

This is a discussion on I'm No Geek within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Please don't misunderstand, I used the term "geek" out of jealousy. So I'm new to smartphones and am fairly proficiant at what I can and ...

Thread: I'm No Geek

Please don't misunderstand, I used the term "geek" out of jealousy. So I'm new to smartphones and am fairly proficiant at what I can and cannot do with the LG Ally but after cruzing the forums I feel so lost.

I have no idea what the 50% bug is??

What are ROM's??

To root or not to root, that is the question. It scares me more than a blind date.

Astro File Manager seems to be a waste since I still need to tether to my laptop to transfer files. I'm missing something for sure.

I read the forums with the hopes of enlightenment, and most times I am grateful for the community partisipation so when I ask myself "what is that geek talking about", I use it as a term of endearment and a lack of knowledge on my part. Geeks DO rule the world and I feel like a 7-11 employee working the midnight shift!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

No offense taken. I have only been a geek for a little more than 8 years. Before that I worked in a shop where the boss didn't think you had enough work to do if your clothes were still clean and you were able to move without your body hurting.

The 50% bug is simply a reading on the phone that shows your TWO "Time Without Signal" above 50%. If your TWO is high, it means that your phone is spending too much time trying to find a signal which will eat up your battery life. The bug occurs when it gives an incorrect reading that shows you have a higher TWO than you really do. It doesn't really affect anything other than give you a false reading. Having a high TWO does not necessary mean that you have the bug. The best thing to do is to dial *228 and choose Option 2. This will reset your PRL "Preferred Roaming List" which will help to keep your TWO lower.

The term ROM stands for "Read Only Memory" and is usually stored in a ROM chip. It is data that a system can read but not modify. An example would be a Nintendo game cartridge. The Nintendo system can play the game but not modify it. A ROM image is a copy of the data that is stored on the ROM chip. Normally, when someone talks about a ROM, they really mean a ROM image. Someone made a ROM image of the Android files, modified it to suit their needs, and then released it for others to copy onto their phone.

If you don't know if you should root or not, don't root. It is definetly something that should be left to a geek and in most cases to a super geek. You will void your warrenty on the phone and can brick the phone. Brick = Nice Paperweight

To move files in Astro:

1. Navigate to the file in Astro.

2. Touch Multi.

3. Touch each file you want to move. (The file name will change from white to orange.)

4. Touch Move.

5. Navigate to where you want to place the file.

6. Touch Paste.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thank's so much for the clarification!! All of a sudden I feel a bit more informed but still lack the capacity to understand what it all means to me. Never fear though, as I find reasons to WANT to modify my device then I will explore HOW to apply some of these terms, and now I have a reference.

I'll have more questions than answers but I will offer my "layman's" explinations to other users in an effort to assist the growing community!

And to AA, Thanks a bunch!!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links