150mb vs unlimited

This is a discussion on 150mb vs unlimited within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I've had my Ally for a week. My wife got her's yesterday. Questions are about my wife's phone. She accidentally signed up for unlimited data. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150mb vs unlimited

I've had my Ally for a week. My wife got her's yesterday. Questions are about my wife's phone.

She accidentally signed up for unlimited data. I have the 150mb.

Both of us have Wifi available at work and at home. We don't stream anything, so 150mb will be more than enough. I'm at 13mb usage after 6 days.

So my wife and I have the same apps except she has ATK free. I have ATK premium. So hers runs ads at the bottom of the page.

The weird thing is that my wife uses the phone less than I (for internet) and she's used 83mb in only 3 days!

Does the unlimited data plan send large amounts of data to the phone for no reason?

Thanks for reading this long post.

Mike

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm just throwing out guesses here, but perhaps her wifi go turned off and reverted to 3G. Or maybe she has a lot of background processes fetching data. Does she spend more time away from the home or office where wifi isn't available such as shopping, longer commute etc?

The ads in ATK free will increase her data usage for sure. Plus, two different phones, two different sets of apps. She may be using an app that you are not using that has more data usage, like a weather app for example.

BTW, you should consider ditching ATK. One of the most unnecessary apps ever invented for Android. It's been shown to not only decrease battery life but also cause other issues because it can kill apps that Android needs to run. Plus, Android already does a great job of managing memory so ATK is not even needed to help the phone run smoother. Do a Google search for something like 'Do I need a Task Killer for Android' and read what has been said.

I did the same thing, in fact the $15 / 150 mb plan was what helped me talk the wife into getting a smartphone. After the 1st night I had used 22 mb and the wife had already used 148! I immediately signed us up for the unlimited. It will be an extra $30 a month that we weren't planning on, but not having to worry about how much we have used is nice. I too was wondering the same thing, if it had been the streaming video that ran it up to 148 so quick? Either way, so far we are really enjoying these phones.

I did the same thing, in fact the $15 / 150 mb plan was what helped me talk the wife into getting a smartphone. After the 1st night I had used 22 mb and she had already used 148! I immediately signed us up for the unlimited. It will be an extra $30 a month that we weren't planning on, but not having to worry about how much we have used is nice. I too was wondering the same thing, if it had maybe been the streaming video that ran it up to 148 so quick or what it was? Either way, so far we are really enjoying these phones.

I'm in the same boat as yourself, I have Wifi at work and at home so opted for the 150MB plan to start with (this is my first smart phone)

I've had the phone since Monday evening (11/8/10), so far I've only used 5 MB and i've downloaded a bunch of apps.

I dont stream music or video (yet) i have a ton of music on my SD card that i play at work at random times. I basically got the phone to sync my google calender and contacts since i live by google calender.

i did download a cool app called 3G Watch Dog that tracks usage in my notification bar that is very helpful, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    BTW, you should consider ditching ATK. One of the most unnecessary apps ever invented for Android. It's been shown to not only decrease battery life but also cause other issues because it can kill apps that Android needs to run. Plus, Android already does a great job of managing memory so ATK is not even needed to help the phone run smoother. Do a Google search for something like 'Do I need a Task Killer for Android' and read what has been said.

Android does not do a good job at managing memory. An ATK, used correctly does not cause issues nor does it decrease battery life. I use it all the time and have had no problems.
    Motorola Droid 4

Ads will use data. There could also very easily be a difference in your settings. There are a lot of places that change settings, and some Apps will override the system settings. The many Volume Settings is an example of this. You have Ringer Volume, Media Volume, Alarm Volume, etc. So are you sure all your settings are alike? Are you and your wife syncing on the same intervals? What about Facebook, Gmail, Google Voice, Voice Search, Contact Sync, etc., etc.

IMO the unlimited plan for $15 more is the way to go. Never having to worry about usage adds a lot of piece of mind... especially, when they make up random numbers to charge you when you are over the alloted usage.

Using Task Killers is not essential for your phone to run smoothly. They can be used as a short cut to stop apps you do not want running, or to autokill services you do not want running. But there are other ways to accomplish this built into Android 2.1. IMO Task Killers likely cause more problems than good for those who do not understand how they work. So please look into their use to get the most out of them.

I turned off all of my wife's syncs. I got rid of the free task killer with ads. She is on wifi at home. Tonight she did nothing on the phone other than listen to voice mails.

Her phone received 14mb of data in 3 hours with the phone just sitting on the table. I think it's time for a trip to verizon!

I turned off all the sync'd applications, facebook, email, etc.

Her phone was just sitting on the table and it downloaded 65 mb of data in 20 minutes. I'm not even sure what it's downloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links