Text Notification Not Working

This is a discussion on Text Notification Not Working within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Hi there - I'm having some issues with my notification tone withing my Text Messaging settings. What the phone is set to: The phone's ringer ...

Thread: Text Notification Not Working

Hi there - I'm having some issues with my notification tone withing my Text Messaging settings.

What the phone is set to:

The phone's ringer volume is around 80%.

The "Use incoming call volume for notifications" is checked.

The ring-tone for the text messages is set.

Notifications is turned on to display in the bar (this isn't an issue).

The Problem:

When I receive a text message, my little light turns white, but there is no sound at all.

The only way I can be alerted if I have a text message is to turn the vibrate feature for notifications on.

Methods I've tried:

Changing all of my settings and notifications to silent, loud, downloaded ring tones, standard/preloaded ring tones --- This did nothing

Turning phone off, waiting for 2 minutes, and then back on --- This works briefly - maybe an hour or two and then no sounds again

Deleting all message threads --- This worked once, and never worked again as a solution

Turning phone off, removing battery momentarily, and then turning back on --- This did not work at all as a solution

Un-mounting SD card, removing it and wait a minute, and then replacing it --- This worked for about 2 hours and back to no sounds

Short of returning my phone and demanding something else, I've run out of ideas. Has anyone else experienced this and/or may have a suggestion that I have not tried?

Thanks for reading!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

"The ringtone for text messages is set."

Where? Are you using the default app? Did you open the Messaging App and select your ringtone there? Part of the post suggests you have only set them in Sounds & Display settings under Settings.

Yes, everything is set the way it should be

In the messaging app - Ringtone is set

In the sounds and messaging settings -- notification ringtone is set

After about an hour of the notification actually sounding, it stops sounding and I have only the icon in the top left corner to let me know I have a text message.

Yes, I'm using the default text messaging -- I didn't know there were others available.

I have just also reset all notifications to stock tones and still no luck.

This is referring to the general setting on the main menu for notifications, as well as the notifications inside of the Messaging settings.

I'm about to go crazy trying to fix this...

There is a thread about losing notification sounds. Perhaps that will help, but I doubt it. I was luckily one who has not experienced the loss of notification sounds.

In that thread people mention the "Missed Call" and "SMS Pop-up" Apps.

Good luck,

Q

Today I have lost all notifications... No sound for E-mails --- Google, Yahoo, and standard Email app that came with the phone. I have also lost the vibrate for the text messages being recieved. So now I must constantly look at my phone if someone wants to communicate with me.

I'm also happy to report that nothing in the thread mentioned by Qasar has helped in the least bit.

I think I will just turn my old "unsmart" phone back on. At least it works, holds a charge, and lets me know when something comes for me.

Did you try a factory reset? If your problem is hardware, this should let you know by it doing it again. If the problem is an interference/glitch with some random App, you'll know by re-installing each app then checking for notifications (in theory).

Good luck!

I am having the exact same problem. You are not alone. I want to throw the thing off a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blacklight Poet View Post
    Hi there - I'm having some issues with my notification tone withing my Text Messaging settings.

What the phone is set to:

The phone's ringer volume is around 80%.

The "Use incoming call volume for notifications" is checked.

The ring-tone for the text messages is set.

Notifications is turned on to display in the bar (this isn't an issue).

The Problem:

When I receive a text message, my little light turns white, but there is no sound at all.

The only way I can be alerted if I have a text message is to turn the vibrate feature for notifications on.

Methods I've tried:

Changing all of my settings and notifications to silent, loud, downloaded ring tones, standard/preloaded ring tones --- This did nothing

Turning phone off, waiting for 2 minutes, and then back on --- This works briefly - maybe an hour or two and then no sounds again

Deleting all message threads --- This worked once, and never worked again as a solution

Turning phone off, removing battery momentarily, and then turning back on --- This did not work at all as a solution

Un-mounting SD card, removing it and wait a minute, and then replacing it --- This worked for about 2 hours and back to no sounds

[b]Short of returning my phone and demanding something else, I've run out of ideas. Has anyone else experienced this and/or may have a suggestion that I have not tried?

Thanks for reading!

Are either of you using an Automatic Task Killer? This could cause notifications and sounds to stop working if not used correctly. If you are using it, try uninstalling it and seeing if that doesn't help.
    Motorola Droid 4

My S3 has just started doing this with the Whistle ringtone for messages. Sometimes it plays and other times it doesn't play the whole tune. I can't work out what it is but I will be returning to the shop tomorrow if I can't do it tonight.

Sponsored Links