Turning off data download/upload

This is a discussion on Turning off data download/upload within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Is there a way to turn my smart phone into a stupid phone? I'll be on St. John in a couple of weeks. There are ...

Thread: Turning off data download/upload

Is there a way to turn my smart phone into a stupid phone?

I'll be on St. John in a couple of weeks. There are places that you can get Verizon service for .69 a minute in St. John. I shudder to think what a MB of data might be on the island. Is there a way to turn off the data in and out and still be able to use the phone?

Airplane mode turns the phone off doesn't it?

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I don't know of any way to turn off all the data. You may want to leave WiFi on so that hopefully any data usage will be over WiFi. Turn off sync and GPS. That is about all I can think of.
    Motorola Droid 4

You can disallow roaming, so I imagine it would do what you want. Can I come to test it out?

Perhaps a call to Verizon would be informative. If you contact VW, can you share what you find here, please?

Airplane mode doesn't turn your phone off. It disables wireless connections. You can still play games or type E-mail drafts, etc.

Qasar,

I think he was referring to being able to use the phone in airplane mode to make phone calls and not the phone's power being off. You can't make or receive phone calls in airplane mode since all radio signals are off.
    Motorola Droid 4

This reminds me of the horror story about the ship still being at port, but the AT&T customer still being billed 7K for watching the Superbowl or World Series at international roaming data rates. It was a couple of years ago and my memory isn't very good, but that's the gist of the nightmare anyway. Certainly wouldn't want something like that to occur.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Quasar says "Can I come help test it out"?

That depends Quasar. Are you a 28 year old woman that is often mistaken for Megan Fox?

The app QuickSettings will let you turn everything off. You have to go into its "Customize" option before the mobile data network appears, but there you can turn it off (and then make sure Wi-Fi is off). As far as I can tell, that makes it into a stupid phone until you enable them again.

(This response is probably a bit too late, but I'll throw it out there anyway.)

Here's a link to it. It's free.

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...uick-zmDq.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    The app QuickSettings will let you turn everything off. You have to go into its "Customize" option before the mobile data network appears, but there you can turn it off (and then make sure Wi-Fi is off). As far as I can tell, that makes it into a stupid phone until you enable them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post

(This response is probably a bit too late, but I'll throw it out there anyway.)

It's not too late, leaving Saturday the 27th!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyboy09 View Post
    It's not too late, leaving Saturday the 27th!

Cool deal! Glad I could help! :-) I think the QuickSettings app is pretty cool. Make sure you turn the GPS off too.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links