improving memory

This is a discussion on improving memory within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; This is what I have for memory right now, 13M + 29MB in 9 / 78MB in 6. I have emptied my email trash can, ...

Thread: improving memory

This is what I have for memory right now, 13M + 29MB in 9 / 78MB in 6.

I have emptied my email trash can, deleted all downloaded stuff from the internet and uninstalled a couple of useless apps I had. I am still getting the low memory message and every once in a while it will not let a text through because of lack of space. I'm not sure what else to do. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Since you've already deleted everything and still get the low memory icon, try a factory data reset. This resets the phone, NOT the SD card. Go to Settings, select Privacy, and the select Factory Data Reset. This will wipe your phone. Typical of most smartphones, doing this after a software upgrade can help too, if you notice lag or things just aren't running right. As soon as you set back up, if you still having anything saved in your market place download file, you'll be able to re-dl right away without searching. If it's already gone, and from a manual uninstall or incoming call after reset it will be gone, then you're stuck searching for apps again. I had to do this once after the last update VZW sent out and haven't had trouble since. Until we get Froyo so we can save to SD card, we have to watch how big our apps are.

Your internal memory may be full with apps. You will get that message when you are under a certain threshold. That threshold used to be 20MB left on the phone, but I think it was lowered with the last update. It could be 17MB nows, maybe 15MB. You'll have to remove a few Apps until we get App2SD. A factory reset will take everything out and let you reorganize your Apps, but removing Apps might be enough.

Also, try a File Manager that allows back-ups of Apps to the SD Card. I use Linda File Manager. That way if you ever have to factory reset again, your favorite apps are already there on your card. You can also store App lists in AppBrain at AppBrain.com. Seeing your Apps side by side lets you compare which you must have now, and which you can install when needed.

Damn, I can't wait for February and Apps2SD!

Post a list here of all the apps you have installed. You can get an app called myappslist and generate a txt or html file of all your installed apps. That will give us a better indication of what we are dealing with.

I think a factory reset is a bit extreme as a first resort.

Also get an app called "quick system info" then add the widget to your home screen called "quick cache cleaner". this will give you an icon right on your home screen (black box with a white C) that will empty the cahe of all your installed apps instead of having to go into Settings>Applications and doing them all one by one. This may end up freeing up enough space to get you going untill you clean up further.

Time out! Those numbers you listed are for RAM...not physical memory.

If you are getting low memory messages AND you use the email program please check your 'trash.' You have likely filled the phone with old email you thought you deleted. Once you clear that out, you will reclaim tons of space. If you have way too much trash to deal with, just delete your email account from the phone, reboot, then set it back up.

Whoops...I see that you deleted the trash. The browser cache gets huge and much to my dismay, the google reader app gets WAY out of control forcing me to delete and reinstall it after a week or two of use.

Help! How exactly do you empty the trash folder? When I delete all the email I can see in the trash folder it still shows that there are emails in the folder. There are no emails I can physically see, but the number next to Trash folder keeps going up.

Look in this thread and see if that helps. http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/88...ntry1000005431

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links