A bunch of questions

This is a discussion on A bunch of questions within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I just got the LG Ally and am really frustrated so far because I have never had anything but a basic cell phone. 1. I ...

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A bunch of questions

  1. #1
    Android Lurker Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8
    I just got the LG Ally and am really frustrated so far because I have never had anything but a basic cell phone.



    1. I need to stop my business address from syncing until I need the emails to show up on the phone. I have my laptop with me 90% of the time but when I go to my cabin, or travel, I would like to get my emails. How do I turn the syncing off and on so I don't get charged for data for the hundreds of emails I get which I handle on my laptop?



    2. I have no clue when I have a voice mail and I a seem to be missing a great many calls. How do I know if there is a voice mail?



    3. I can kill apps with Advanced Task Killer Free and they come right back the next time the p\hone is touched, how can I kill these permanently? Voice Search, Skype, Back up Assistant, City ID, Corporate Calendar, Clock, etc.



    4. Is there any way to tell how much data will be used? I ONLY want data for managing business emails on the occasions I am away from my laptop and I have had two Verizon reps tell me there is a chart which gives you a rough idea and two reps tell me the other two reps are full of it! I have not downloaded anything and I have not used anything and yet I have used up 40M in three days on a 150M plan...................HOW?

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Android Junkie allyAndroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,413
    Syncing, Voice Mail, ATK, and Data Usage are all covered in the forum. Please search the forum.
    Motorola Droid 4

  4. #3
    Android Lurker rec9140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I just got the LG Ally and am really frustrated so far because I have never had anything but a basic cell phone.



    1. I need to stop my business address from syncing until I need the emails to show up on the phone. I have my laptop with me 90% of the time but when I go to my cabin, or travel, I would like to get my emails. How do I turn the syncing off and on so I don't get charged for data for the hundreds of emails I get which I handle on my laptop?


    Disable the sync under Settings| Accounts and sync| Auto Sync uncheck it.





    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    2. I have no clue when I have a voice mail and I a seem to be missing a great many calls. How do I know if there is a voice mail?


    Should get an icon in the notification area. I don't use voice mail, so if you call me and leave a message you've just talked to a black hole. I don't think I even set it up. Call back or it wasn't important. If I don't answer I am not interested in talking.



    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    3. I can kill apps with Advanced Task Killer Free and they come right back the next time the p\hone is touched, how can I kill these permanently? Voice Search, Skype, Back up Assistant, City ID, Corporate Calendar, Clock, etc.


    The various task killers have the ability to nuke this on a regular basis. Some one who uses these can chime in on which is the better to use...



    To TOTALLY remove them will require you to "root" the phone to be able to delete them, permanently.



    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    4. Is there any way to tell how much data will be used? I ONLY want data for managing business emails on the occasions I am away from my laptop and I have had two Verizon reps tell me there is a chart which gives you a rough idea and two reps tell me the other two reps are full of it! I have not downloaded anything and I have not used anything and yet I have used up 40M in three days on a 150M plan...................HOW?


    For #4



    http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/data monitor



    Take a look at these applications, maybe some body will chime in with a favorite or constructive review of which is the better one. I don't use any of these..



    Sync will use data, as will any applications which pull things like backup assistant, it has an option to sync up on a schedule.



    If you only want the data to sync up when you need, it you will need to disable sync use totally till you need it.



    Also may want to disable Background data under Settings | Accounts & Sync to cut down on data use.

  5. #4
    Android Lurker Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks, I finally got some straight answers from Verizon tech support.......I swear I don't know how Verizon finds these people......they are flat out dumb!



    I was told my business email could not be stopped from syncing, only the Gmail account. I could however tell my business email account to "NEVER" check for email.....this was after spending 45 minutes with a tech-rep who was trying to tell me how to "unsunc" it.



    Then, they went on to tell me that it really doesn't matter because with a Droid phone you absolutely have to have an unlimited data plan because the OS communicates with the network 24/7 and there is nothing you can do to stop it.......this was after they sold me a 150M data plan!



    Oh well, I like the phone..............

  6. #5
    Android Lurker 1968_Roadrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13
    Not to hijack your thread but your data usage is what caught my attention. I just got my Ally phone 3 days ago. Of course the first day i was messing with a lot, but 1/2 of it was with WiFi. That night I checked my usage (because I alo bought the 150 mb plan) and it said I had used 74!!! I called the salesperson the next morning and got no real answers. She said if I was in the market place searching for Apps it uses a lot of data. I told her that a 150 MB plan was never going to work if I had used 74MB after having the phone for 6 hours. She told me not to use the market or download apps unless I was connected to WiFi. I think something is messed up. Now I noticed that this morning my data usage is knocked down to 70 from the 92 it was at last night. What the heck is going on. I'm afraid to use my phone!

  7. #6
    Android Addict Qasar324's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_E View Post
    Not to hijack your thread but your data usage is what caught my attention. I just got my Ally phone 3 days ago. Of course the first day i was messing with a lot, but 1/2 of it was with WiFi. That night I checked my usage (because I alo bought the 150 mb plan) and it said I had used 74!!! I called the salesperson the next morning and got no real answers. She said if I was in the market place searching for Apps it uses a lot of data. I told her that a 150 MB plan was never going to work if I had used 74MB after having the phone for 6 hours. She told me not to use the market or download apps unless I was connected to WiFi. I think something is messed up. Now I noticed that this morning my data usage is knocked down to 70 from the 92 it was at last night. What the heck is going on. I'm afraid to use my phone!


    Eric, try a search. There are threads here about "data usage." "WatchDog" is another term to search. When you search make sure the target is Forums in the box between the search box and the magnifying glass.

  8. #7
    Android Lurker 1968_Roadrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13
    ok. Thanks!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

how backup data on ally

,
how can i use a bunch of data on lg ally
,
how to back up data on lg ally
,
lg ally i kills apps and they come back
,
market+app missing
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum