Gmail & Email issues...

This is a discussion on Gmail & Email issues... within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I did a search already for this & could not find anything. I have both a Gmail account & a Hotmail account (set up under ...

Thread: Gmail & Email issues...

I did a search already for this & could not find anything.

I have both a Gmail account & a Hotmail account (set up under Email) on my phone. Lately, I have been trying to empty all folders in those accounts, to open more space on my phone. I will go in & delete all unwanted emails in the inbox, go into drafts and sent & delete all emails in there. And then finally go into trash and delete every single email in there, till it is empty.

Then, the next day, I will go back in either Gmail or Hotmail, and look in the trash and see that every single email that I deleted from the trash, is back. I mean, every single one. So I go thru and delete them all again. Later, go back in and they are all back again. I use my browser to go to the mobile websites for both Gmail & Hotmail, and delete all trash that way. Go on my phone later, and they are all back again. Go to my PC and delete all trash. Same thing, its back again, when I check on my phone.

What is going on!? How am I ever supposed to get rid of these emails on my phone!? When I check from my PC or from browser, there are no emails in my trash. But when I check the trash from my phone, its full of everything I deleted. And I'm talking montths of deleted emails. Stuff I trashed from way back september is in there and won't go away.

Does anyone know why this is happening? And what can be done? Because I was told to make sure I got rid of all unwanted emails and trash on my phone, because it takes up space. So I f I am delting months and months of emails and they keep showing back up, then they must be taking up space on my phone.

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by nicolett80 View Post
    I did a search already for this & could not find anything.

I have both a Gmail account & a Hotmail account (set up under Email) on my phone. Lately, I have been trying to empty all folders in those accounts, to open more space on my phone. I will go in & delete all unwanted emails in the inbox, go into drafts and sent & delete all emails in there. And then finally go into trash and delete every single email in there, till it is empty.

Then, the next day, I will go back in either Gmail or Hotmail, and look in the trash and see that every single email that I deleted from the trash, is back. I mean, every single one. So I go thru and delete them all again. Later, go back in and they are all back again. I use my browser to go to the mobile websites for both Gmail & Hotmail, and delete all trash that way. Go on my phone later, and they are all back again. Go to my PC and delete all trash. Same thing, its back again, when I check on my phone.

What is going on!? How am I ever supposed to get rid of these emails on my phone!? When I check from my PC or from browser, there are no emails in my trash. But when I check the trash from my phone, its full of everything I deleted. And I'm talking montths of deleted emails. Stuff I trashed from way back september is in there and won't go away.

Does anyone know why this is happening? And what can be done? Because I was told to make sure I got rid of all unwanted emails and trash on my phone, because it takes up space. So I f I am delting months and months of emails and they keep showing back up, then they must be taking up space on my phone.

Thanks.

Don't know about hotmail, as I have no hotmail account. As for gmail, that's my main account. When you delete the email from gmail on your phone, it's not really deleting the message because it's still on google's servers. That's why it stays on your phone. When you log on to gmail on your PC, you'll see all the email you deleted from your phone. Delete it there, and it will not be on your phone. Not that it matters, but leaving email in your gmail account does not take up memory on your phone since it's stored on google's servers, so I never delete it from my phone (it's work mail anyway, so I like to have access to it at all times).

Quote Originally Posted by glockman39 View Post
    Don't know about hotmail, as I have no hotmail account. As for gmail, that's my main account. When you delete the email from gmail on your phone, it's not really deleting the message because it's still on google's servers. That's why it stays on your phone. When you log on to gmail on your PC, you'll see all the email you deleted from your phone. Delete it there, and it will not be on your phone. Not that it matters, but leaving email in your gmail account does not take up memory on your phone since it's stored on google's servers, so I never delete it from my phone (it's work mail anyway, so I like to have access to it at all times).

Okay thanks. I had seen other posts that said all emails take up memory on your phone. Good to know that it doesn't. So I don't have to really worry about clearing out the trash so odten then. I will try again at deleting it on the PC. Thanks for the help. It must be the same way with Hotmail, cuz it does the same exact thing.

If you setup a pop email account using the default email application (Not Gmail), all emails that are downloaded are stored on your phone's memory. Any email that you delete is also stored on your phone's memory in the Trash folder. You have to delete the email from the Trash folder to remove it from the phone's memory.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    If you setup a pop email account using the default email application (Not Gmail), all emails that are downloaded are stored on your phone's memory. Any email that you delete is also stored on your phone's memory in the Trash folder. You have to delete the email from the Trash folder to remove it from the phone's memory.

Ok, my Hotmail is set up in the default email application. So then with that one, I should clear out the trash often. But with Gmail, not necessary. Good to know.

Ok, I logged into my Gmail account and my Hotmail account from my PC. In both accounts, I went through and deleted every email in all folders. About 20 minutes later, I checked both accounts on my phone. The Gmail account was empty, all emails were gone. But in Hotmail, everything I had deleted was there. All the trash was still there. Why is this happening? If I am deleting from PC, shouldn't it be gone from my phone?

Quote Originally Posted by nicolett80 View Post
    Ok, I logged into my Gmail account and my Hotmail account from my PC. In both accounts, I went through and deleted every email in all folders. About 20 minutes later, I checked both accounts on my phone. The Gmail account was empty, all emails were gone. But in Hotmail, everything I had deleted was there. All the trash was still there. Why is this happening? If I am deleting from PC, shouldn't it be gone from my phone?

My guess would be that even though you deleted your hotmail from your PC, it will remain in your phones memory until you delete it there, too. My verizon mail does the same thing. When I delete it from both my phone and my PC, it doesn't reappear on my phone.

I encourage everyone to check out the program k-9. It has an option to delete from server when you delete it from your phone and it will clean up the trash with one click and then you can compress the program to keep it nice and tidy. Also, you can create a different ringtone for each email account and led color. There are also push settings so you get your email immediately rather than having it check on a time schedule. I love me some k-9 mail!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak8s View Post
    I encourage everyone to check out the program k-9. It has an option to delete from server when you delete it from your phone and it will clean up the trash with one click and then you can compress the program to keep it nice and tidy. Also, you can create a different ringtone for each email account and led color. There are also push settings so you get your email immediately rather than having it check on a time schedule. I love me some k-9 mail!

I tried K-9 for a while, but had too many issues with it, so I dumped it.

The default app has a setting that deletes an email from the server when deleted from the phone. It just doesn't have a 1 click empty trash option.
    Motorola Droid 4

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links