Opening MS Office Files from Browser links

This is a discussion on Opening MS Office Files from Browser links within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; This I think is an easily answered question, but I have joylessly searched the forums and this one for the answer. What is the recommended ...

Thread: Opening MS Office Files from Browser links

This I think is an easily answered question, but I have joylessly searched the forums and this one for the answer. What is the recommended way to get files to just correctly open from the Ally browser in the appropriate program when links to MS Word/Excel docs are clicked. How about PDF's? We have installed "Quickoffice and Adobe Reader" Yet, when we try to click links to these file types, they are either downloaded, but since I'm trying to set this up for very novice computer users... it seems like there must be just a simple way to say always open these files with a specified program (you know like the old "mailcap" file from previous browsers)

Perhaps this is not possible with the stock Ally browser, and another browser is recommended?

Thank you!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

When a Doc is opened a menu comes up and asks with what App to Open the Doc. At the bottom of those options is a blank check mark that needs to be checked before you make your selection to set as default App.

To remove the default choice, use Settings >

Applications > Manage Applications.

ThinkFree Office that came on the phone should be able to view all those files. It can even create and edit them.

If the browser downloaded an App it usually went to the "SD Card/Download" folder. You can redirect them in Settings.

I used Dolphin HD for a minute. It had a lot more features but I didn't think it worth the space. I forced myself to use the stock browser. Maybe I'll try again in Feb when we get the infamous 2.2 update.

Hello and thank you very much -- your explanation sounds perfectly reasonable , and it is in fact how I expected things to work. However, from the google searches I have done this seems to be a systemic problem with permissions related to various file extensions that the default "Android" browser is trying to protect us from. Whenever I click on the links to download various document types (PDF, XLS. XLSX, DOC) the download manager (the one related to the android browser) reports immediately "

"Download Unsuccessful"

I was very relieved to figure out that things work just great through the Opera browser and download to the SD card successfully. . Surprisingly, whenI tested with the Dolphin HD browser, I encounter the exact same error (Although it seemed like the Dolphin browser uses the exact same Android download manager?)

From links in other forums: From links in forums, it sounds like "Astro Browser" might be the key -- that it somehow reconfigures permissions to allow the download of "other file types:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/che...rowsers-2.html

http://androidforums.com/register.php

The suggestion from those are:

• "You can download Astro File Manager from the market. Then open it and choose MORE - PREFERENCES and check ENABLE BROWSER DOWNLOADS."
    • " After you download astro you must go to settings and check off "Download any file in the Browser"."

This sounds more like an Unzip and View problem. I guess I never really took documents from the browser. They have been shared to my Gmail account. I have had very little problem downloading from Gmail.

Anyway, I think your really want "ASTRO File Manager." It includes the "file browser" and other features. Personally I use Linda File Manager because it is smaller and I prefer the User Interface.

Thank you for following-up on your solution.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links