Phone turning off and on

This is a discussion on Phone turning off and on within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; My LG ally is turning off and on by itself for no apparent reason. It started 4 days ago. I have not dropped it, nor ...

Thread: Phone turning off and on

My LG ally is turning off and on by itself for no apparent reason. It started 4 days ago. I have not dropped it, nor has it gotten wet. I tried to remove the battery, but haven't been able to get it out and I don't want to risk damaging the battery or the phone. Can anyone explain this or provide any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

If you run the phone down (on Internal Memory) it can sometimes restart. But since your phone is re-starting continuously, maybe it is a recent App that is not playing nice. Have you downloaded something questionable just before it started? Have you checked Running Services to see if something is running that you do not intend to be running? Do the re-starts happen right after an SD Card Notification sound?

Hit Menu > Settings > Applications > Running services.

What do the numbers at the bottom read?

Avail: ??MB+??MB in ? Other: ??MB in ?

What Apps are listed as running?

Avail: 10MB+33MB in 13 Other: 63MB in 6

Apps:

Google - GTalkService

Voice Search

Voice Search - Android keyboard

Alarm Clock - WidgetUpdateService

Backup Assistant - SyncService

Market - AlarmService

Lookout - NotificationService

Mail - Yahoo Push notification

The Weather Channel - WeatherService

I don't recognize a couple of these. I did download a couple of apps this week, but I don't remember which ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    If you run the phone down (on Internal Memory) it can sometimes restart. But since your phone is re-starting continuously, maybe it is a recent App that is not playing nice. Have you downloaded something questionable just before it started? Have you checked Running Services to see if something is running that you do not intend to be running? Do the re-starts happen right after an SD Card Notification sound?

Hit Menu > Settings > Applications > Running services.

What do the numbers at the bottom read?

Avail: ??MB+??MB in ? Other: ??MB in ?

What Apps are listed as running?

Apps start and stop all the time. It is the way Android works. Maybe one of your new Apps is interrupting a process the Android system needs.

"Avail: 10MB+33MB in 13 Other: 63MB in 6" looks good.

This means 10MB are free and available + 33 MB are currently being used by 13 App but those can be dropped at any moment (be made available immediately). 63MB are being used by 6 Apps that cannot be used.

You are definitely within good parameters.

Of those you list, these Apps are not on my list:

Market - AlarmService

Lookout - NotificationService

Mail - Yahoo Push notification

The Weather Channel - WeatherService

I took Market AlarmService out by changing my market settings to "Do not notify me." I still get notifications of any updates pending when I open the market. I thought this was making my phone sluggish, too, but I cannot be definitive about this being your problem because I didn't have it on long enough (and another App I removed could have been the culprit). To remove this open Market > Hit Menu > My Apps > Menu Again > Settings > Do not notify me.

I do not know "Lookout" at all. But the Yahoo Mail and The Weather Channel Widgets seem very popular. Too popular to likely be the source of your problem.

My last re-start problem happened a few weeks ago after I downloaded a new App. It was the same time I noticed Market AlarmService. They both had to go, and so did the problem. That App was some word game but I don't remember the title because I didn't like it.

So, now, there are three ways to test each App.

1. Uninstall each App and check your system's responses over and over again. This is good if you can narrow down which Apps came about the time your problem started.

2. Perform a Factory Reset to start from scratch but this time as each App is added you note how the phone is responding before adding another App. This is good to get a fresh start, or if you have no idea when your problem started.

3. Someone else has a better idea.

Thanks so much for your help. I've changed Market to Do not notify me, and have deleted a few of the apps I recently loaded. If this doesn't help, I'll delete and reload each app as you suggest. I truly appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this! Thanks again!

Android Lurker minroon@yahoo.com's Avatar
    I have run Lookout since August without any problems.

I don't know if it could be related but My first Ally did power cycled like this and the battery was also very difficult to remove . It also would get very hot. I had it replaced in July and have had no other problems. (Besides the app that's now hung up in the market!) The battery in my new phone was never as tight as the first one. The guy at the store almost couldn't even get it out.

I learned a new trick! I changed mine to stop notifying me because I don't want my maps updated. And it will alert me every time I go to the market that there is an update available and it is often times just maps. Thanks Qasar!

Ads