Cannot Hear Calls

This is a discussion on Cannot Hear Calls within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I cannot hear anything out of my phone's regular speaker, except for the alarm, and the shutdown sound and turn-on sound. It is as if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Hear Calls

Android Lurker Headphone Jack Problem's Avatar

Cannot Hear Calls

I cannot hear anything out of my phone's regular speaker, except for the alarm, and the shutdown sound and turn-on sound. It is as if my phone is assuming the headphones are plugged in, when they are not plugged in. So the only way to make or receive a call is by actually plugging in my headphones to listen through those. Otherwise I cannot hear calls or media.

In addition, whenever I plug the headphones in, for some reason the phone automatically starts playing one of my audio files upon headphone entry.

This is a very new phone, and originally I did not have a problem for the first few weeks, although there was one minor glitch which was that sometimes when I would use the auxiliary cable to plug the phone into the car stereo, the connection with the stereo auxiliary port would not be recognized and it would just play the audio through the phone's regular speaker without sending it to the stereo. That was very frustrating but usually after a few tries it would start to work. It appears that was foreshadowing or an indication of something wrong that has caused the current problem. Of course now I have no problem ever playing through the stereo because the phone acts as if headphones are constantly attached.

What should I do? What is wrong with the headphone jack? Do I need to replace the phone?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

First, your in call volume is different than your other volumes. While in a call, you can adjust your in call volume with the volume keys.

There are plenty of threads in the forum that cover sounds and even using headsets. I don't remember off the top of my head what the solution, if any, was.
    Motorola Droid 4

I'm quite aware of volume settings and that they operate at different levels and you have to control each of them separately.

I put the CALL VOLUME on MAX and hear nothing out of the phone.

My problem is exactly as I described it, so please don't insist that I didn't check my volume or that my phone is on silent or anything else not related to this to deflect the issue. Literally the only way to hear calls is by putting the headphones in and listening through the headphones. That is precisely what is wrong.

So what do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    There are plenty of threads in the forum that cover sounds and even using headsets. I don't remember off the top of my head what the solution, if any, was.

Through search I saw only a few even slightly related to my specific problem, and none of them provide a solution. (Unless I'm missing something and you can point me to the right thread).

Were you suggesting that I shouldn't have posted my problem?

BTW, this has nothing to do with "headsets" or "sounds" - It's a problem with my headphone jack! The phone seems to think headphones are always plugged in.

Also, here is some additional information. When I call my voice mail (or anyone) (without headphones plugged in!), and I hear no sound coming out of the phone, I also notice that the "speaker" option is not available, whereas "mute" is available. Again, that evidence points to the fact that the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in, because only when using headphones are you unable to activate the speaker, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Headphone Jack Problem View Post
    I'm quite aware of volume settings and that they operate at different levels and you have to control each of them separately.

I put the CALL VOLUME on MAX and hear nothing out of the phone.

My problem is exactly as I described it, so please don't insist that I didn't check my volume or that my phone is on silent or anything else not related to this to deflect the issue. Literally the only way to hear calls is by putting the headphones in and listening through the headphones. That is precisely what is wrong.

So what do you recommend?

Am I am supposed to know what you do or do not know about your Ally? You didn't mention that you tried the volume settings already and most people do not realize that they are different. I also did not insist anything just starting with the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Headphone Jack Problem View Post
    Through search I saw only a few even slightly related to my specific problem, and none of them provide a solution. (Unless I'm missing something and you can point me to the right thread).

Were you suggesting that I shouldn't have posted my problem?

BTW, this has nothing to do with "headsets" or "sounds" - It's a problem with my headphone jack! The phone seems to think headphones are always plugged in.

Again, I did not insist or suggest anything other than to let you know that the topic has been covered before. I even added that I was not sure if a solution was found or not. You apparently found one of the threads http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/12...onger-working/ and here is another one http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/17...peaker-volume/
    Motorola Droid 4

You must still not understand the problem because that thread has absolute zero to do with my issue.

Maybe when I said that I can't hear anything, you thought I was exaggerating what is a very low volume? And so that prompted all of your comments pointing me to check the volume settings, look at threads which have to do with use of headsets and playing sounds, etc?

Well, it was not an exaggeration. I don't mean "the volume is really really low." I mean there is literally NO SOUND coming out of the phone for phonecalls. The other side can hear me, but no sound comes out at my end. I think I have diagnosed it fairly obviously - the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in.

So you ask if you're supposed to know what I know - No, but at least take my question at face value and accept that the problem is as I describe it. The phone thinks my headphones are plugged in when they are not plugged in (and therefore I can't hear my calls without headphones), and when I do plug in headphones, it automatically starts playing audio files for some reason. That is the issue. If you can't address it, fine, I will just take the phone to the store. It is really patronizing and irritating when you refuse to take my issue at face value. Do you work for LG? Android? etc? Or this is just a forum of people who use the phone?

Hmm, I seem to have read in that thread that you said was not related to your issue this comment from Ak8:

I've read that there is something screwy with the headphone jack not releasing once you pull the plug.

Which is your exact issue!

I know what I would do if it was my phone acting up but if I told you you would just go off on another "Your an idiot and I'm god" speech so figure it out on your own.

I have been trying to help you. With any kind of problem solving, you strat with the basics and keep going until you find a solution that works. Yet all you want to do is criticize me because I didn't give you the answer that solves all your issues.

This is a forum for users.
    Motorola Droid 4

Hmm, I seem to have read in that thread that you said was not related to your issue this comment from Ak8:

I've read that there is something screwy with the headphone jack not releasing once you pull the plug.

Well gee, this comment appeared in a THREAD that had nothing to do with this issue, so once I read the initial post, which was a different issue, I didn't think I should read an entire thread about something else. Do you really think that's reasonable to expect from me? Why not just quote that one sentence you found relevant from the get-go? Or, just paraphrase it and say in your own words what you recommend to me to do?

I know what I would do if it was my phone acting up but if I told you you would just go off on another "Your an idiot and I'm god" speech so figure it out on your own.

I never made any such speech.

I obviously don't know what to do with my phone, which was why I made this thread. Not to be told irrelevant things, even though you may be well-meaning.

And if you know so simply "what you would do" - How is it that that still hasn't been stated after all this time, to the point that you even want to withhold the information out of spite? Didn't you portend to answer my issue with your initial response? But now you admit, that wasn't "what you would do?" So either you really did misunderstand my problem (which is no offense to you, everybody makes mistakes pal), or you are being dishonest now.

I have been trying to help you. With any kind of problem solving, you strat with the basics and keep going until you find a solution that works. Yet all you want to do is criticize me because I didn't give you the answer that solves all your issues.

There was never any need or desire to criticize "you." "You" Ally Android, are an internet persona, I did not intend to decrease the lofty status of the internet persona "Ally Android" or the person behind it whom no one here actually knows in real life (certainly not me). I only intended to indicate to you that what you said did not address my problem, and it seemed you were deflecting the question in a flippant manner due to the total lack of relevance with which you responded. There's really no criticism of you personally by expressing any of that. I only criticized your post which responded to my question. Why do you take that as a personal attack on your character or moral fiber? If I think you said something irrelevant, that's a personal attack? You're not capable of mistakenly saying something irrelevant?

Since this is just a forum for users, I will simply take my device to the store and tell them what is wrong with it and ask what they recommend. Of course why would any of these multibillion dollar companies have a direct line of user support such as this kind of forum? I was delusional to even entertain that notion.

To the person who has named him/her self with the title of this thread: I can understand being frustrated when you have tried everything and nothing is helping. But from reading this thread the impression I get is that folks have been trying to help you, offering the simplest fixes (which often do get overlooked) first then when you say you have already tried that going on from there. But even from your first response I get the feeling that you are striking out at those trying to help you.

Trying to trouble shoot any problem is a process. At this point I feel that folks are getting more and more reluctant to give you a reason to strike out at them for trying to help you. There may be a simple, or even a complex fix, out there, I don't know. But I do know that any person will only try to help and get slapped down a limited number of times.

No one is saying you have not tried the suggested solutions. Sometimes we all try something and it doesn't work and someone else does what appears to be the exact same thing and it does work. Sometimes we are so used to doing something that we don't think about it and may skip one small step thinking we have done it.

Perhaps at this point you would be less frustrated if you do take the phone back to Verizon and get a replacement phone.

I am not saying your frustration is wrong, I am saying you have gotten so frustrated that you are not reacting as you would if you were not frustrated. Folks want to help you fix the problem. Please try to remember that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads