Text Memory Full?

This is a discussion on Text Memory Full? within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I have got the native installed messaging app and Handcent, no messages in either but I get a message telling me that new messages have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text Memory Full?

Text Memory Full?

I have got the native installed messaging app and Handcent, no messages in either but I get a message telling me that new messages have been refused because text memory is full. What gives? I have deleted about all I can, moved everything possible to the SD card.

What else can I do? This has happened a few times and I actually don't know how it got fixed before. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Reality is for people with no imagination!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

When that's happened to me, I check the storage available to the phone. When it gets around 15mb, I get the "low Storage" warning, and it declines txt messages.

Pretty frustrating!

So, I end-up clearing the cache, or even deleting some useless apps. That'll free-up enough space for it to accept new txts.

not sure how to get the phone to use the SD card to store txt msgs.

Quote Originally Posted by kbm91 View Post
    When that's happened to me, I check the storage available to the phone. When it gets around 15mb, I get the "low Storage" warning, and it declines txt messages.

Pretty frustrating!

So, I end-up clearing the cache, or even deleting some useless apps. That'll free-up enough space for it to accept new txts.

not sure how to get the phone to use the SD card to store txt msgs.

This thing is aggravating the crap out of me. I went through and cleared all the cache I could find, deleted emails (I don't know if they use up the memory or not so I did it anyway), deleted apps and even deleted Handcent. So I just have the preinstalled messaging app. The "memory full" notification went away and everything was cool. Now, out of nowhere, I haven't added a thing, the full notification comes back on and tells me text messages are being denied.

I had gotten the phome memory up to almost 15 but now, and again I haven't added anything to the phone, I have 13.9 MB. Am I gonna have to just delete everything?
    Reality is for people with no imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheardad View Post
    This thing is aggravating the crap out of me. I went through and cleared all the cache I could find, deleted emails (I don't know if they use up the memory or not so I did it anyway), deleted apps and even deleted Handcent. So I just have the preinstalled messaging app. The "memory full" notification went away and everything was cool. Now, out of nowhere, I haven't added a thing, the full notification comes back on and tells me text messages are being denied.

I had gotten the phome memory up to almost 15 but now, and again I haven't added anything to the phone, I have 13.9 MB. Am I gonna have to just delete everything?

Welcome to the worst piece of crap phone EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just start deleting apps. That is the only way to deal with this issue. Well, that and pray for the time you can upgrade comes sooner. HMMM....a smart phone that has little to no internal storage, makes sense huh???? Do you have to wait 10 to 20 seconds for the phone app to start working when you try and make a call?? That will start soon for you I'm sure.

good luck.

I'm certainly not the expert, but I've read the experts here say to keep the phone memory up around 20mb.

I guess the phone O/S actually writes to the memory alot, and needs space to run. Keepin available storage up around 20mb will help it with sluggishness, too.

I just flashed the Frunisher1.0 ROM, and it deletes a whole lotta crap apps; I've got about 60mb available now, even with all my apps installed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheardad View Post

I think your "low storage" warning came on, even without you adding anything, because the phone itself is writing to the same memory (for webbrowsing cache, call logs, etc). That's why the phone needs as much additional space as it does

Try to get your available phone strorage up around 20mb, and see how that goes. That should help with the speed of apps loading, I think, too.

And, yeah, LG/Verizon didn't do a good job with the small phone storage and stock O/S bloatware. That's why so many ppl here have flashed custom ROMs (me just last week), and upped the CPU speed. It's a rockin little smartphone now! :-)

Which custom rom and how does one go about "flashing?" I have aleady upgraded my ally to android 2.2.1. Any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
    Which custom rom and how does one go about "flashing?" I have aleady upgraded my ally to android 2.2.1. Any info would be appreciated.

I flashed the "Frunisher 1.0" ROM a couple weeks ago and love it. Now, my phone was bought on eBay, so I had no warranty from Verizon to void (which flashin a new ROM does).

I'm not an expert on this, so go look around the forum here under http://www.lgallyfor...ng-development/, or under Droidforums.com under http://androidforums...ll-things-root/

Look up, "ROM Manager", "Rooting Ally", "Superoneclick", "z4root", "Frunisher vs Velocity ROMs", stuff like that. I learned alot there. Not for faint of heart, I would say! :-)

Good luck!

Clearly, I'm in an abusive relationship.

I've stuck with my little Ally through thick and thin, survived the (disappointing) Froyo wait & update, made do with the lackluster speed/performance, suffered (still suffering) with the homescreen lag, slogged through the dime-deep internal memory... but I think this phantom "Text memory full" message is the last straw. I've gotten this message a few times now (along with its tag team partner, "Phone storage is getting low"); I've been deleting texts, data, call logs, whatever I can to free up space. I got the message again today, even though I have fewer text conversations and apps running than I did before.

It's been fun, Ally, but I'm trading you in the very FIRST chance I get... assuming I don't throw you against a brick wall first.

Enough.

Move apps to SD card, to free up internal phone memory and speed up Android

I suggest you have a look at How to move almost all Android apps to SD card (no root required)
    It looks a bit scary but the results seem to work.
    The discussion includes this:
    "... moving apps to SD card is a good way to free up internal phone memory and speed up your Android phone.

MOVING (ALMOST) ALL ANDROID APPS TO SD CARD
    To run commands which will enable Move to SD card button for most installed apps, you need to have adb executable on your computer. Adb stands for Android Debug Bridge and is used for Android software development, but it is a very useful tool to have for any advanced Android user. You do not need to have a rooted phone to run adb commands.

To download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable), follow instructions from step 2 in the Installing the SDK article from the official Android development site. Note: you do not need to install any other software such as Eclipse for this procedure.
    After downloading the archive of the SDK, unzip it to any folder and remember its location (let’s call this folder <sdk>).
    If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver as described in USB driver for Windows section.
    Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
    Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).
    In the terminal window, navigate to folder containing file named “adb” (<sdk>\platform-tools folder) using this command: cd “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” (replace “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” with an actual path as shown in the screenshot below).
    Type the following lines in the terminal window and press Enter after each line:
    adb devices
    This checks that the phone is connected and is in the correct mode. You should see one entry in the list of the attached devices. If you get “device not found” error, see Troubleshooting section below.
    adb shell
    If you get “cannot find file” error and are using Mac or Linux, instead type: ./adb shell
    pm set-install-location 2
    (If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2. Thanks to polosco for the tip.)
    exit

Command prompt commands on Windows
    Now on your phone go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
    If you have Android 2.3 or later, click on USB Storage tab (may be called SD card). This tab shows a list of apps that either can be installed to SD card or are already on SD card. The ones that have checkbox on the right side are already moved to SD card (credit to Michael Scully for the tip).
    On Android 2.2 and earlier if you don’s see USB Storage or SD Card tab, click on All tab.

Android USB storage tab
    Press hardware Menu button and select Sort by Size.
    Tap on each app that is taking significant amount of space and tap Move to SD card button. Press hardware Back button and repeat.
    (optional) To change the default installation location for new apps back to the internal phone memory, go back to your terminal window and type:
    pm setInstallLocation 0
    (important) Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and disable USB debugging. Leaving USB debugging enabled makes your phone vulnerable (e.g. lock pattern can be reset).
    Enjoy!

Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)
    TROUBLESHOOTING
    “Device not found” error in step 7. Make sure that the phone is connected and is in the USB debugging mode (step 4). On Windows, this error can also mean the driver is not installed properly. Double check that you followed USB driver for Windows steps. If you still are getting this error, try installing a driver for your manufacturer from this link: Tether “ADB” Driver Installation for Windows.
    “Permission denied” error: make sure that you correctly typed commands.

Quote Originally Posted by kbm91101 View Post
    I flashed the "Frunisher 1.0" ROM a couple weeks ago and love it. Now, my phone was bought on eBay, so I had no warranty from Verizon to void (which flashin a new ROM does).

I'm not an expert on this, so go look around the forum here under http://www.lgallyfor...ng-development/, or under Droidforums.com under http://androidforums...ll-things-root/

Look up, "ROM Manager", "Rooting Ally", "Superoneclick", "z4root", "Frunisher vs Velocity ROMs", stuff like that. I learned alot there. Not for faint of heart, I would say! :-)

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links