Manually Set Time on Ally?

This is a discussion on Manually Set Time on Ally? within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I live near the border between the Eastern and Central time zones, and as a result my phone's time (normally Eastern) will occasionally change to ...

Thread: Manually Set Time on Ally?

I live near the border between the Eastern and Central time zones, and as a result my phone's time (normally Eastern) will occasionally change to Central time without notice. (This happens roughly once a week and lasts from anywhere between 10 minutes to 5+ hours.) My previous Verizon phone was a BlackBerry, and I encountered the same problem on that device. My only fix was to turn off the option to use the network to set the phone's time.

The real solution for me would be to have my Ally stop using the network to set the system time, but I can't seem to find that option anywhere. Currently my only "fix" is to wait until the phone's time changes back.

Is there any way for me to turn off the automatic time updates? If not, I seem to be at the mercy of whichever tower my phone receives its time from. It's incredibly frustrating.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1470 View Post
    I live near the border between the Eastern and Central time zones, and as a result my phone's time (normally Eastern) will occasionally change to Central time without notice. (This happens roughly once a week and lasts from anywhere between 10 minutes to 5+ hours.) My previous Verizon phone was a BlackBerry, and I encountered the same problem on that device. My only fix was to turn off the option to use the network to set the phone's time.

The real solution for me would be to have my Ally stop using the network to set the system time, but I can't seem to find that option anywhere. Currently my only "fix" is to wait until the phone's time changes back.

Is there any way for me to turn off the automatic time updates? If not, I seem to be at the mercy of whichever tower my phone receives its time from. It's incredibly frustrating.

Just FYI, I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with Verizon and LG and apparently the inability to manually set the time on the Ally is INTENTIONAL. In other words, I'm SOL unless I end up rooting the phone. The worst thing about this is that vanilla Android 2.2 ALREADY has this option, so that means that LG had to go out of their way to disable it! I'd like to hear the "reasoning" behind this decision, because the net effect is that I'm powerless to control what time my phone thinks it is due to spotty coverage.

Try ClockSync from the market. It claims to set the time on your phone based on GPS instead of the carriers network.
    Motorola Droid 4

Sponsored Links