navigation without internet/data

This is a discussion on navigation without internet/data within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I was hoping that someone can help me figure out whether you can use the Ally navigation using GPS alone or do you also need ...

Thread: navigation without internet/data

I was hoping that someone can help me figure out whether you can use the Ally navigation using GPS alone or do you also need to have 3g access? I am traveling to Europe and want to use GPS, but don't want to pay for data roaming. I tried to put the phone on airplane mode and then using the Navigation app. The phone shows it successfully connecting to the satellites, but I cannot get any navigation (just a blank map). Any help?

Thanks,

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Jr Member RedDroid_lgally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I was hoping that someone can help me figure out whether you can use the Ally navigation using GPS alone or do you also need to have 3g access? I am traveling to Europe and want to use GPS, but don't want to pay for data roaming. I tried to put the phone on airplane mode and then using the Navigation app. The phone shows it successfully connecting to the satellites, but I cannot get any navigation (just a blank map). Any help?

Thanks,

The GPS radios will work anywhere you go if turned on and you have a line of sight to the satellites, but the phone needs a data connection to provide map data and to calculate directions. The amount of data that would need to be in your phone to do all of that without a data connection is probably at least a Gig as you need not only the maps but the brain power to generate the directions. Data that you can use over WiFi will still work and you can play games and listen to music you have stored on the phone.

Verizon has some info about International Roaming here: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roa..._coverage.html

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links