Issues with memory

This is a discussion on Issues with memory within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Yesterday I started having issues with memory. I know I was above the amount before the little disc w/ exclamation warning (in the upper left ...

Thread: Issues with memory

Yesterday I started having issues with memory. I know I was above the amount before the little disc w/ exclamation warning (in the upper left hand corner in notifications) comes on. So, I decided to wait until today to figure out the 1 or 2 things I wanted to delete. I went to the phone storage area to find out how much space I needed to shockingly discover I only had 76 kb left. How is that even possible??? So, basically, I'd have to delete almost all of my downloaded apps to even get enough space back. The ONLY thing I downloaded in the last few weeks is app from the market to add voice to my navigation system. It used to be part of the navigation system, but I guess they took it out & I had to download it. So, that's it.

Then, this morning I heard my text message notification go off. So, I checked to see who texted me, only to find out that I received a message saying "incoming message rejected due to full memory". This is fairly impossible because I don't text that much. So, I decided to go ahead and delete all of my text messages. However, I've received numerous warnings since as well that incoming messages were rejected due to the same thing. I went into my handcent & my factory text area & both were empty. Is there something else I need to do??

Seriously, am completely lost as to what the issue is. I tried to go into manage applications to find the navigation to see if I can uninstall the newest updates. However, navigation isn't there. I have no idea the name of the update I used from the market place, but I do know that I went straight to the market place from the navigation system when it asked me if I wanted to download that piece for voice. Please help me if you can. I think the next step if no one can help me is to write down what I have app-wise & then do a re-set.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Here's one thing I found recently: I save sent messages. I save a lot of emails. I went ahead, on the computer, and deleted a lot of the sent messages. I went through old emails I had gotten and deleted a lot of those, then I emptied the trash. Then I went into those folders on the phone and let it have some time to resync. I ended up with a lot of extra space on the phone.

I didn't realize how this stuff added up on the small amount of storage on the phone. Now I wonder why the apps don't store that data on the SD card. Just a thought, it might help you also.

Here's one thing I found recently: I save sent messages. I save a lot of emails. I went ahead, on the computer, and deleted a lot of the sent messages. I went through old emails I had gotten and deleted a lot of those, then I emptied the trash. Then I went into those folders on the phone and let it have some time to resync. I ended up with a lot of extra space on the phone.

I didn't realize how this stuff added up on the small amount of storage on the phone. Now I wonder why the apps don't store that data on the SD card. Just a thought, it might help you also.

Android Jr Member RedDroid_lgally's Avatar
    If you want to know which applications you have that take up the most room, try this:

Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> Select the tab that says All. Press the Menu Key and select Sort by Size. If that voice add on for the nav was that big, you should be able to find it easily. It might even have the option to be moved to the SD card.

Unfortunately as apps are updated by developers, they only get bigger. I've make sure that I don't update an app just because, and that the update means something to me. A lot of the crapware on the phone may have updated itself automatically and you might not even use the program. Backup Assistant is one example. It is completely unnecessary, tries to run all the time and its update make it take up more space.

Go through your list of Downloaded programs. If there are programs you don't use, check to see if an update has been installed. Verizon might not let you uninstall the program, but you can roll back any updates to free up space. I had updated Amazon MP3 to try out the Cloud, but I didn't really like it. I went in and uninstalled the updates (and disabled automatic updates) and got space back.

I saw you mentioned handcent. That app just itself is 5MB installed on the phone. Do you need it? That is of course a personal thing. I have kept to a minimum any apps that do in a different way something the phone already does. I'm not a big texter, so for me the standard Android app works just fine.

Good luck with it.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links