Unable to move apps to SD, why not?

This is a discussion on Unable to move apps to SD, why not? within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Hi, I've got an Ally through Verizon and run into the storage limit when installing apps to the phone. I was happy to hear that ...

Thread: Unable to move apps to SD, why not?

Hi, I've got an Ally through Verizon and run into the storage limit when installing apps to the phone. I was happy to hear that with the Froyo OTA update my Ally would be able to move apps to load from SD. However, only two very small games allowed me to. Every other app had the "Move to SD" button grayed out.

What's going on? Did I miss the update, or have to do something extra? I'd really like to make use of my new 16GB SD card and not have to worry about space limits anymore!

-Ally O.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

It is up to the developer if the app can be moved to the SD card or no. If that option is grayed out the developer had not set the app up to run from there.

So welcome to the club. Those of us who want to either move the stuff we don't want on the phone (or delete it) and can't do that because the phone provider has decided we need to keep the stuff we will never use.

The only answer that is able to get rid of some of the trash is to root the phone, take back control, don't let the ISP tell you what you have to have on your phone. If you want to root your phone (which does void your warranty) look through some of the threads here and you will find more info on how to root the phone.

OK, that's what what I'd half expected. I think my phone's outside of warranty anyway, but had been hoping to avoid mucking about with workarounds. I read elsewhere that the Ally uses the internal storage as memory in place of dedicated RAM, making it run slowly when too full. Is that true? If it is then I really need to do something about it.

Besides possibility of bricking, are there any drawbacks to rooting the Ally? I'd like to keep using the Market app, getting OTA updates, etc.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    One does not lose Market functions when rooted. The only thing that's lost is the possibility of OTAs and I'm nearly 100% sure the Ally will not be getting anymore of them. It's life cycle is over and isn't avaliable on the Verizon site either.

There really aren't any drawbacks to rooting if you're out of warrantee. The root process is fairly straightforward these days too. Check out the root section of the Ally forums at Androidfourns.com

Although I have not rooted yet, I agree with Valkerie. At this point rooting won't hurt since the phone is EOL. I don't expect anymore OTAs either and the LG Forum no longer has the LG Ally threads at the top of the boards. Even if there was another OTA, the ROMs you can flash on the Ally after rooting are more than likely better than the OTA.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thanks for the info! I'm still a bit nervous, but I think I'll do it.

Though I have another question. My 16 GB SD card is only Class 2, while the 4 GB one from Verizon is Class 4. Will going down in speed impact the phone's performance? Don't want any slowdowns, but also don't want to pay extra for a Class 10 if the Ally can only take advantage of Class 4 speeds. Plan to store apps, music and photos on it, not much video.

The class determines the speed that the card saves data at. A class 2 has a speed of 2MB per second and a class 4 has a speed of 4MB per second. You will have performance issues with a class 2. I have issues using the class 4 that came with the phone.

There is also a class 6 (6MB/s) and the class 10 (10MB/s). I think a 6 would be best with a 10 for those who do take a lot of videos.

Just to confuse things, a class 1 SDHD is actually faster than a class 10 (it has a speed of 45MB/s) but it is not compatible with the Ally. I only mention it so that if you are going by class you realize that different types of SD cards have different speeds.
    Motorola Droid 4

Overnight delivery of Lamictal In Fresno , discount Lamictal In San Diego

Improving our pharmacy is to what all our team members dedicate their time and enthusiasm! Purchase Lamictal Without Prescription Click Here To EnterLamictal 50 mg overnightbuy Lamictal free consultationLamictal on line cash on deliveryLamictal in mexico without a perscription In Nottingham Lamictal cheap onlineonline pharmacy cod LamictalLamictal pay CODLamictal overnight In Gaspe Cheap Lamictal perscriptions In Texas buy Lamictal cheap In Snow Lake overnight Lamictal ups codLamictal with free dr consultation In Utah Online ordering Lamictal Lamotriginebuy Lamictal online no membership In Riverside Lamictal pay codcash for Lamictal 200 mgWhere can i buy Lamictal Epilepsy no perscriptionbuy Lamictal 100 mg without perscriptionorder Lamictal without rxLamictal Bipolar Disorder no prescription next day deliverybuy Lamictal without a prescription onlineLamictal online no perscription fedex In Henderson online ordering Lamictalbuy Lamictal overnight free deliveryLamictal cheap no membership In Ohio order Lamictal cash on deliveryLamictal 100 mg online cash on deliveryLamictal Lamotrigine no rx codLamictal free online doctor consultationLamictal Bipolar Disorder without a r xLamictal shipped with no prescription In Omaha Lamictal with saturday deliveryLamictal 200 mg no rx fed exovernight Lamictal Bipolar Disorder ups codcheap Lamictal 50 mg without prescription overnight deliveryBuy Lamictal on line no perscription In France Lamictal upsLamictal online doctors In North Lanarkshire Lamictal Epilepsy online no prescription overnightbuy Lamictal online overnight In Czech Republic Lamictal 25mg with consultLamictal 50 mg no script required express deliveryLamictal online without prescriptionLamictal shipped over night without a perscriptionLamictal fedex without a perscriptionpurchase Lamictal cod cash deliveryWhere can i buy Lamictal no perscriptionLamictal online perscriptions with no membershipbuy cheap Lamictal no PrescriptionLamictal next day no perscriptionLamictal Mental Health/Epilepsy with free fedex overnightLamictal with consultLamictal Seizures cheap fed ex deliveryLamictal generic cheapestLamictal ups In CA Ordering Lamictal online no membership overnight deliveryLamictal no scriptLamictal same day deliveryLamictal on sale cheap online In Greenstone Lamictal without a presciption In Manitoba Lamictal 50 mg with no perscription and delivered over nightgeneric Lamictal onlinePurchase Lamictal Mental Health/Epilepsy cod cash deliverycheap Lamictal no prescription next day delivery In South Dakota Lamictal 200 mg with no perscription overnight shippingLamictal Bipolar Disorder without a presciption canadian perscriptions Lamictal 25mgLamictal 200 mg overnight shipping no perscriptionBuy Lamictal from usa without a perscriptionLamictal online consultantLamictal online doctorsNo prescripton LamictalOnline Lamictal and fedex In Maine Order Lamictal Lamotrigine no perscriptionLamictal online without a perscription In Dudley Lamictal online consultantCheap Lamictal no scriptcheap Lamictal Seizures next day deliveryovernight delivery of Lamictal Lamotrigine with no prescriptionhow to get a Lamictal 50 mg prescriptionLamictal prescriptionsCheap Lamictal no perscription In Fresno generic Lamictal Mental Health/Epilepsy onlinefedex delivery Lamictal In Wichita Lamictal Epilepsy saturdayLamictal without a scriptorder Lamictal online without prescription In TX buy cheap Lamictal without prescription In Sweden online LamictalUs Lamictal fedexLamictal Seizures cod shippingbuy Lamictal 25mg on line without a prescriptionLamictal Lamotrigine no prescription codprescription Lamictal codLamictal no doctors prescriptionLamictal 100 mg without a perscription orBuy Lamictal Mental Health/Epilepsy online with overnight deliveryLamictal 50 mg no physicianLamictal cheap fed ex deliveryLamictal cod saturday deliveryLamictal cheap cod In North Carolina Xopenex online In Poland . overnight delivery of Xopenex In Lubbock Biaxin Klerimed online no perscription. no prescription Biaxin overnight In IL Atarax Durrax drug no prescription. Atarax Aterax without a prescription canadianbuy Zofran Vomiting medication cod. Zofran General Health without a persriptionRobinaxol Pain Relief online no perscription, no script Robinaxol In Oklahoma City Amantadine 30 mg without a script, Amantadine no prescription drug In Columbus Etoposide online doctors. Buy cheap Etoposide no perscriptionElavil overnight delivery no r x, Buy Elavil next day overnight fedex delivery order Elavil codMelphalan without a rx. Melphalan without a perscription or In Chibougamau Hoodia Patch Weight Loss no perscription next day delivery, Hoodia Patch online cash on delivery

Ads