Low memory notices

This is a discussion on Low memory notices within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; So lately, I've been getting low memory messages. Tonight I cleared out all emails (kept 7, without attachments), all text messages, and all photos/videos. All ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low memory notices

So lately, I've been getting low memory messages.

Tonight I cleared out all emails (kept 7, without attachments), all text messages, and all photos/videos. All my apps are on the SD card that can go there (others don't offer the option to move). I've cleared the cache on everything (App Cache Cleaner). I have 6 mp3s (standard length pop songs). I've not downloaded but maybe 4 or 5 ringtons.

I mean, it seems to me that only the basic stuff that came with the phone is there now.

(note, I did recently join facebook and it automatically added a bunch of contacts and put pictures on some I already had, but I've deleted the ones I didn't want and currently have 95 contacts)

I have 18.18 MB of space left.

Is this normal?

TIA.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I know you said you cleared out your email but here are a couple of questions:

1. If your email program saves a copy of your sent messages did you clear those out also?

2. Did you empty the trash bin in the email program after you deleted the messages? If not the messages may still be sitting there taking up room until you empty the trash. One easier way to do this is to go into the email program via the browser rather than through an app and (at least with Yahoo mail) I then see a button on the bottom that says to delete all the messages in the trash.

MP3's should be on the SD card, look for a thread on 'ultimate folder structure' here for some tips on setting it up.

You need 20 mg of free space for the phone to work well. So you still have some stuff there that is taking up space.

From what I have heard Facebook takes a lot of space with it's updates. Not sure what to do about that if you use it.

Hopefully others will chime in but do look around the site to find other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by sherongb View Post
    I know you said you cleared out your email but here are a couple of questions:

1. If your email program saves a copy of your sent messages did you clear those out also?
    2. Did you empty the trash bin in the email program after you deleted the messages? If not the messages may still be sitting there taking up room until you empty the trash. One easier way to do this is to go into the email program via the browser rather than through an app and (at least with Yahoo mail) I then see a button on the bottom that says to delete all the messages in the trash.

MP3's should be on the SD card, look for a thread on 'ultimate folder structure' here for some tips on setting it up.

You need 20 mg of free space for the phone to work well. So you still have some stuff there that is taking up space.

From what I have heard Facebook takes a lot of space with it's updates. Not sure what to do about that if you use it.

Hopefully others will chime in but do look around the site to find other suggestions.

Thanks.

I didn't think about the sent messages and when I checked them there were but a couple. However, I noticed while there there were 770 messages in one Trash folder, and 1600 in another one. Silly me, I thought when you pressed "delete", it moved it to the trash, then deleted the when you restart the app, or the phone, or something (that what my home emails give me the option to do). I guess it's more like a PC where you have to manually empty the trash. Unfortunately, there was no way to select all, or bulk delete that I could find. So I had to manually delete all 2300 messages - and I could only select about 18 at time to delete or else the phone would freeze.

Now, I'm at 67MB - Yay.

Thanks again. I can probably load back the one app I liked that you couldn't put on the card now.

Use the phone's browser rather than the email app. When I did that with Yahoo email I had the option (on the bottom) to delete all..

Use the phone's browser rather than the email app. When I did that with Yahoo email I had the option (on the bottom) to delete all..

"Browser"??? The internet browser?

Android Jr Member RedDroid_lgally's Avatar
    I have saved space on my phone by not updating a lot of the apps that came with the phone. It seems that a lot of the "added features" and such are not important to me. I also don't update the crapware that is already on the phone.

Apps that are not updated on my phone:

Facebook (the old version works fine for me)

My Verizon (I would rather access that on a PC, and I can get text messages for a lot of the information)

Maps (I can get from point A to B and back just fine with how it is)

Amazon MP3 (I have a 16GB SD, streaming music from the Cloud, isn't necessary for me, and I don't buy music using my phone)

Backup Assistant (Completely useless, and updating it still makes it "run" all the time).

YouTube (I think the update just made it able to play ads before a video, I don't use it a lot, but it hasn't given me a problem for not being updated.)

If you have updated any of these and want to try it back the way it came through on the 2.2.2 update, just go into the application settings and select Uninstall Updates. I'm trying it out on Gmail now, saved 2.3 MB.

I'm also using the Dolphin HD browser. It installs on the SD card (so uses less phone memory) and it can be set to cache your data to the SD card.

I've also passed on some apps that don't show much more than the mobile webpage of the company, case in point, NY Times.

Also, when you install an app to the SD card, it doesn't move everything. The new smaller size of the app is the part that is still on your phone. The amount being used on the SD card for Angry Birds (or whatever) is not shown in the application settings. So getting rid of apps you don't use, even if they are on the SD card, will give you some more memory to play with.

I have 32 downloaded apps and 41 MB free.

"Browser"??? The internet browser?

Yes the internet browser, what other browser is on your phone?? And would you be able to check your email with it?

<br />Yes the internet browser, what other browser is on your phone?? And would you be able to check your email with it?<br />
    <br /><br /><br />

Ijust realized that if I go online and delete them, they appear in the trash, and the trash folder on the phone now shows them in there. So I'll have to be diligent about empty the trash. I thought the two were independent (like how if I delete a message from the phone, it will still appear in my email app's in box and vice versa

Steve

Actually, scratch that. I just emptied the email online, but it didn't empty the Trash folder on my phone - so they are independent. That's what I'm talking about. I can't use the "browser" to delete email off my phone. It would probably work for my gmail account, but not my other two.

On the phone browser go to the email program, empty the trash.

Now when you go to the app give it time to sync and the messages will go away. Want to check? Go to folders and to the trash folder and let it run. It may take some time but it syncs and get's rid of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links