Phone get wet?

This is a discussion on Phone get wet? within the LG Ally Tutorials & FAQ's forums, part of the LG Ally category; It can happen, you're by the lake, or pool, in the bathroom or kitchen and whoops....dunk. Immediately retrieve itbut don't shake it, that makes things ...

Thread: Phone get wet?

It can happen, you're by the lake, or pool, in the bathroom or kitchen and whoops....dunk.

Immediately retrieve itbut don't shake it, that makes things worse by spreading it all over.

Holding it face up, drop the battery out and using napkins, towels, your t-shirt, anything dry and gently pat up as much water as you can.

Turn over and gently dry the battery compartment, being careful not to snag anything,

Open the slider and gently pat up any moisture there, just pat, or dab, don't wipe as this spreads it around.

Carefully dry the battery, set aside.

Remove the SD card, dry and set with the battery.

Using a folded up tissue, or napkin, dry the SD card slot, the USB/charging port, and the headphone jack.

Now, let's take a tissue, and with your fingernails, work the tissue around the edges, or seams, of the phone. Take your time doing this to give the moisture time to be wicked up by the tissue.

We should have all visible water dryed by now...don't shake it. One drop of water can ruin the small circuitry by shorting, corrosives, and other bad things.

Now, accept that you have voided your warranty, and then....

Get a sandwich sized Ziplock baggy and some Silica desiccant. Silica is the small bag of stuff in your new shoe box, beef jerky...I'm sure you've seen them. They say "do not eat". You can also find desiccant at hardware stores under the name DampRid or Dry-All.

Put a handfull of desiccant in the ziplock along with your phone, battery and SD card and ziplock shut. The Silica will dry the moisture in the bag allowing any in the phone to evaporate and be absorbed.

Leave the baggy in a place out of sunlight for 3 days, take the stuff out, put together, and see if it works.

Some things not to do. Don't try a hair dryer, or compressed air, same reason as shaking but worse. And don't put the phone in a microwave or oven to dry it. They will cook the phone to it's death.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Get a sandwich sized Ziplock baggy and some Silica desiccant. Silica is the small bag of stuff in your new shoe box, beef jerky...I'm sure you've seen them. They say "do not eat". You can also find desiccant at hardware stores under the name DampRid or Dry-All.

Put a handfull of desiccant in the ziplock along with your phone, battery and SD card and ziplock shut. The Silica will dry the moisture in the bag allowing any in the phone to evaporate and be absorbed.

Leave the baggy in a place out of sunlight for 3 days, take the stuff out, put together, and see if it works.

A good alternative to Dessicant would be regular uncooked dry rice. It's also much easier to find . (I've used it before on my daughters old Env1 when she dunked it in the toilet at the beach, and after 2 days the phone worked almost as good as new, but the battery didn't survive the swim...).

Good idea heff, I didn't think of using rice.

Ok I dropped my new ally THE day I got it.....in the toilet........waiting and watching my phone battery dead in rice for 72 hrs.. here's the good part: it works! Of course, (usually) to every story there is a bad part: glitches (keeps thinking I'm charging it, then stops for a second then thinks it's charging again), keyboard problems (I type, it doesn't on some letters so the sentence ends up looking like "so whts u? I hme and bred."), low connection (I'm not sure if its high or low b/c it never changes! I was cross referencing my phone with my cousin's ally by walking with it side-by-side and her bars change while mine stays as 1 or 0 bars ONLY!)

Yeah so all-in-all.... try not to ruin your ally.. it'll never be the same! I'm re-buying a new ally soon...sigh.

While you're at it, don't put anything int he microwave except food. Unless you are being a wreckless teenager.. then take the microwave outside. at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    so the sentence ends up looking like "so whts u? I hme and bred."),

This is the way my kids type now. They wouldn't even have noticed that anything was wrong with the keyboard.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    This is the way my kids type now. They wouldn't even have noticed that anything was wrong with the keyboard.

omglmao i think its a teen thing... my fiancees kid does that all the time... drive me crazy

what about,,

may sound stupid,, but if you need something in the baggie to absorb moisture,, anyone considered a tampon? lol

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links