Tethering, Hotspot or Mobile Broadband straight answers?

This is a discussion on Tethering, Hotspot or Mobile Broadband straight answers? within the LG Ally Tutorials & FAQ's forums, part of the LG Ally category; I have heard mixed info on this subject from verizon and lg. Does this phone have 3g mobile hotspot capability? If so how do I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tethering, Hotspot or Mobile Broadband straight answers?

I have heard mixed info on this subject from verizon and lg. Does this phone have 3g mobile hotspot capability? If so how do I set it up? Or does it have mobile broadband connect? If so, how do I set that up? Please someone that is knowledgeble give me a straight and easy to understand answer. Thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Not yet. Hotspot capability is supposed to be supported when we get the elusive 2.2 upgrade (AKA Froyo, for Frozen Yogurt). Some have reported Verizon tries to interfere with strongly suggested mention of paying them for the use, but that can be bypassed from what I have read. With our current 2.1 software, it is possible to tether a computer to the phone to get the computer to connect to the Internet. But, of course, the phone can only be connected to one device this way. Search "PDANet" or "tethering" in the forums for more about that. (I think those would give you the right info.)

Mobile broadband, though it may use 3G service, is really referring to that card one would put in their laptop to get a connection anywhere. It is a dedicated connection to a wireless server (and too damn expensive IMO).

Thanks Qasar. So these tethering apps don't require you to root the phone do they?

You're welcome.

No. I have not rooted and successfully connected my computer to the Internet using PDANet, out of curiosity. I watched Hulu as a test. That was in July. More apps for tethering have been added since. Whichever App you use will lead you to a download for your computer to accept the tether, too. That's it. If you cannot connect your computer to get the download you can download to your phone, mount the phone to the computer, then move the file from the SD Card to the computer manually. This should be included in the instructions.

Good luck. Still a cool feature, eh?

Awesome sounds pretty simple. Do you know if verizon can or does charge for tethering through pdanet? Or can they cap your MB usage?

Unlimited is unlimited. VW should have no recourse when we are simply using our phones to their potential. There will be a rate war soon too. So even if they do ***** and moan, it won't come to anything. Some report using a tethered connection "all the time" with not a peep from VW.

Cool thanks. You've been real helpful. I almost went with the palm pre for the 3g mobile hotspot. But VW charges 15 a mo for that svc which I thought was odd cause it seems more like a phone feature than a svc. I'm relieved I don't have to get an additional data plan on top of the $30 one I already have to tether my ally. I can live with only tethering one device at a time.

Cool thanks. You've been real helpful. I almost went with the palm pre for the 3g mobile hotspot. But VW charges 15 a mo for that svc which I thought was odd cause it seems more like a phone feature than a svc. I'm relieved I don't have to get an additional data plan on top of the $30 one I already have to tether my ally. I can live with only tethering one device at a time.

PDANet works quite well. However, if you still want to be able to share your connection over WiFi and don't mind rooting the phone, you can use Barnacle WiFi Tether to do so.

Can somebody please post the .apk for Barnacle? I'm not able to find it in the Market at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links