Recycle Bin for NON email trash?

This is a discussion on Recycle Bin for NON email trash? within the LG Ally Tutorials & FAQ's forums, part of the LG Ally category; In looking through these Ally forums, I've yet to find an answer to my question: is there a recycle bin for deleted items other than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recycle Bin for NON email trash?

In looking through these Ally forums, I've yet to find an answer to my question: is there a recycle bin for deleted items other than email? If so, might I be able to free up space by emptying it?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    What kind of items have you deleted? If you mean apps or pictures then no. Pictures are stored on the SD card anyway.

Not sure what you are asking. A recycle bin is a holding place, the item is not deleted and still counts as used space. When I delete an app on the phone the item is gone, the space is freed up.

The phone and the computer don't really over write the info where the picture or app is/was right away. It just removes the links to that space as 'app XXX' and marks that space as available for use. So you see more free space. When sent to the recvcle bin the item is still findable, by looking through the recycle bin and is not marked as usable space until the recycle bin is emptied. So I am not sure why you are asking about a recycle bin rather than just deleting the app's or whatever you want to get rid of.

And as Valkerie says if the items are stored on the SD card (as pictures are and some apps can be moved to) deleting them won't free up phone space.

Thanks for your replies thus far! I'm talking about deleted items like calendar events, notes (Colornote, Note Everything), any document, thumbnails, voicenotes, etc.

OK so if they are deleted they are not taking up space. On a computer you get a second chance to keep those items buy placing them in the Recycle bin, on the phone you don't get that second chance to keep them (other that email programs which put the items into a trash bin which has to be emptied). So again what is in your mind when you ask about a recycle bin? If the idea is to get rid of those items to free up space, delete them. If you just want to not find them in a general search I don't have an answer.

Thanks, sherongb. You answered for me: Q= Is there a recycle bin for non-email trash? A= No.

I just assumed that for every item deleted on the phone, like a pc, there was probably a recycle bin that needed to be emptied.

And prior to my original post, I had looked through the SD card to find any folders that might be of the recycling type, but didn't find any.

I realize that pics, etc on an SD card don't take up the phone HD space, but wasn't sure about other items that get deleted.

FYI: "ColorNote" and "Note Everything" users, there IS a recycle bin within each of these apps (which are both on my phone, not SD). I just deleted about 100 old notes, freeing up a bit of space, but I didn't write down the exact size before emptying the recycle bin- oops! Handy to know that I can either retrieve if needed or delete to clear space.

Thanks again, everyone!

P.S. ColorNote can't be put on SD, while Note Everything can be put on card, but then my widget doesn't work.

Question is how important is the widget? Could you live with a shortcut on one of the home screens? If yes move it and put the shortcut there. To me the trade off of a shortcut vs a widget is worth the space on the phone. Guess I am not in that much of a hurry to do things that I must have a widget rather than have a shortcut.

How did you delete the old notes off your phone? Where is the recycle bin that you mentioned?

You don't have access to the phone's memory unless you are rooted.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    How did you delete the old notes off your phone? Where is the recycle bin that you mentioned?

You don't have access to the phone's memory unless you are rooted.

I went into each program (ColorNote and Note Everything) directly and emptied their recycle bin. (Does that make sense?)

I have since put Note Everything on my card and am using a shortcut instead of a widget (thanks sherongb!).

Quote Originally Posted by PlantTeacher View Post
    I went into each program (ColorNote and Note Everything) directly and emptied their recycle bin. (Does that make sense?)

I have since put Note Everything on my card and am using a shortcut instead of a widget (thanks sherongb!).

It does but I have Color Note and don't see a Recycle Bin anywhere in the app.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads