Anyone have overheating issues?

This is a discussion on Anyone have overheating issues? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; My wife had the same problem with the phone getting so hot it shut down. She had them replace the battery and it didn't fix ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have overheating issues?

My wife had the same problem with the phone getting so hot it shut down. She had them replace the battery and it didn't fix it so they ended up sending her a new phone. I have an Ally too and have never had a problem with mine. She does use her car charger more than I do, so maybe there is something to that.

Mine only overheats when I use the car charger. I have to watch it and when I see a ? on the battery icon I unplug it for a few minutes. At home and work, it is plugged into my computer and I never have problems.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Mine only overheats when I use the car charger. I have to watch it and when I see a ? on the battery icon I unplug it for a few minutes. At home and work, it is plugged into my computer and I never have problems.

I don't have a car charger but was thinking about getting one. I saw in another post that there was a .5V charger which basically keeps the phone's battery where it's at when you plug it in. It doesn't charge the phone very much but also doesn't overheat the phone. It would be a good charger to have when going on long trips and using the Navigation app.

i did notice today while at work that my ally got pretty warm without it being on the charger, when i got to work around 9am my batttery was at 95% and about 4 hours later when it got really warm it was at 18% and i was very very confused as to why, can anyone shed some light on this? i absolutly love the phone and LG as well

I have recently started using Battery Watcher Widget. When touched, this widget gives battery information including temperature and battery health. I have only used the Ally's charger and noticed a little warmth when fully charged and still connected to the wall socket. Since I've been using the "Battery Watcher Widget" an exclamation mark is added to the Widget icon when the phone is fully charged and still plugged into the wall. The Widget's exclamation explains that the phone is getting too much voltage (sic).

I am not sure how this information will help you if little more than a warning of temperature. Perhaps the Battery Health display or the Voltage Display could tell you more.

Good luck!

Q

PS- My battery is typically 3 degrees warmer (F) plugged into the wall than the computer according to this Widget.

UPDATE: I was wall-charging and got the exclamation "Health: Battery is over voltage" when the phone was at 97% charged and Voltage was 4.204V. I disconnected and now at 4.136V I have no warnings. IDK how this program gets its info but this doesn't bother me....yet. Degrees dropped a few points too but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Hi Scooby, It's normal. When the battery is charged, or drained (discharged) at a fairly rapid rate the battery will warm slightly. If you were to use the phone for 10 minutes at a time, you wouldn't notice any heat. But when you're online, or gaming, the battery has a pretty good discharge rate and you can feel it warming slightly.

My Ally has overheating issues. I understand how it gets warm during normal use, but hot? Front and back. I'm thinking it needs replacing, and it's only 3 days old.

Hi jones, you're right. The phone shouldn't get hot. It has circuitry to shut it down in the event of overheating. If it gets hot, take it to a Verizon store and explain the particulars of your overheating.

If there's something wrong, they will replace it for you. I understand your concerns that your Ally is just a few days old, if they replace it with a "refurbished" phone don't worry. It IS a new phone. They usually don't come with a charger, or anything else. They may even take the battery out of your phone and put it in the refurb. That's why they can't say it's a "new" phone.

Hey members, if I'm wrong, or you've had a different experience returning an Ally, please let us know.

I had the overheating issue once, when I was still very new to the phone. I left it charging in a windshield-mounted cradle for about 45 minutes. When I came out, the phone gave me the overheated message and shut down. It was, however, a very warm day and the phone was very exposed, so I wasn't terribly surprised to see this happen. I haven't left the phone to charge in the car since, and have had no further overheating issues.

My Ally is less than two weeks old. Yesterday it died (screen went black -- no message, no way to turn it back on) while driving on the interstate with two radar apps going. The battery got very warm and stayed warm for several hours. There was no sign of life from the phone itself, no red battery light -- nothing. When plugged into the oem chaarger, again nothing: no charging light, no sign of life.

This morning, the red battery light came on when I attempted to turn it on and it started charging normally when plugged into the charger. It showed zero percent battery and is now up to 22 percent after an hour or so, so it appears to charging normally.

Anyone know what happened?

Yes, your phone shut itself off to prevent damage from overheating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links