Anyone have overheating issues?

This is a discussion on Anyone have overheating issues? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Minty Yes, your phone shut itself off to prevent damage from overheating. Sorry, but that does not answer the question of why ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone have overheating issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Yes, your phone shut itself off to prevent damage from overheating.

Sorry, but that does not answer the question of why the phone would overheat in the first place. I did read the entire thread (if there is another thread please direct me to it and please be pleasant to newbies-- we are just learning the ropes), but found no answer as to why a brand new phone would overheat, stay overheated, and the battery would exhaust itself and make the phone unusable for many hours. Since a cell is vital for me, I need to know if this is something that can be fixed in some way or another because, if not, I will have to get another phone.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Your question was "anyone know what happened?"

So,... sorry if you didn't like the answer, it was correct. If you wanted to know why the phone might overheat, you should have asked that instead.

If you did read the entire thread, you'd notice a few reasons why...

1: use of non OEM chargers. I see you used one, but it is still a reason.

2: non stop use while plugged into a car charger,...you didn't say if it was plugged in or not.

3: leaving the phone in direct sunlight,...again, you didn't say. It makes a big difference.

4: the use of navigation for extended times,..apparently you were running 2 apps. For how long?...10 minutes....6 hours? Again, you don't say.

It's hard to give a specific answer to a broad question. There are many reasons why the phone might overheat. If you want a personal solution, please be much more specific regarding your inquiry. Everything that can effect battery temperature must be considered.

And yeah,...thanks to anyone who can "help me out" to explain this more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjadane View Post
    My Ally is less than two weeks old. Yesterday it died (screen went black -- no message, no way to turn it back on) while driving on the interstate with two radar apps going. The battery got very warm and stayed warm for several hours. There was no sign of life from the phone itself, no red battery light -- nothing. When plugged into the OEM charger, again nothing: no charging light, no sign of life.

This morning, the red battery light came on when I attempted to turn it on and it started charging normally when plugged into the charger. It showed zero percent battery and is now up to 22 percent after an hour or so, so it appears to charging normally.

Anyone know what happened?

2 radar apps? Why would you be running 2 radar apps? 1 is enough of a power drain on the battery and can cause the phone to overheat if the phone is not kept cool (IE: have cold air from air conditional blowing on it) but 2 would definitely cause issues.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    2 radar apps? Why would you be running 2 radar apps? 1 is enough of a power drain on the battery and can cause the phone to overheat if the phone is not kept cool (IE: have cold air from air conditional blowing on it) but 2 would definitely cause issues.

Thanks for the reply. I am glad it was the apps and not something more nefarious. As for why two radars? Simply hadn't killed "radar now" before starting up the "weather channel". As I said, I am but a rookie, and I really appreciate your insight.

I THINK judging by the replies in this thread that I might have the same problem. I was on youtube and my phone did feel pretty darn warm, and when I X-ed out of the site my phone screen just went black. The buttons were glowing still, then I shut it off. And I try to shut it back on, but the screen is still black but the keyboard and buttons are still glowing. How the heck can I fix this? I shoved my phone in the fridge and now I'm charging it, so will that help? It cooled off but the screen is still black and the buttons are still glowing.

I have also had the same problem when charging with the car charger so now I just charge via wall connector or USB (using laptop or home/work PC). I have also found it true that if you do not run any apps or make any calls (just leave your phone idle) when it's charging and unplug when when do either of those, then you may avoid overheating. It actually says that in the warranty manual you get with your phone so that's probably pretty important.

However, I have an additional issue. If I am tethering using wifi, my phone overheats. I have checked the difference between tethering to my laptop and tethering to my iPod touch and either way it overheats without being plugged in to anything.

Thoughts??

only time i ever get close to over heating is when i use barnacle for more then a couple hours, i keep it plugged to a wall charger and take it off every 30 minutes or so when the battery icon has a ? mark. in the car in gets hot but never shows the overheat symbol on the battery. (normally i run nav, and pandora) and drives normally take 30-60 minutes (i live in the middle of nowhere)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links