Is your battery life improving?

This is a discussion on Is your battery life improving? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Thanks Yea I was full charging before each use but ever since I started to use the phone for the purpose...apps internet videos etc.my battery ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is your battery life improving?

Thanks

Yea I was full charging before each use but ever since I started to use the phone for the purpose...apps internet videos etc.my battery life was too small for my daily calls...lol

Quote Originally Posted by marcus531 View Post
    Your bad battery life might be due to the "Cell Standby" power-drain problem / issue / bug, which seems to have picked up the name "the 50% bug"

Check the main-screen->settings->about-phone->battery use->Cell standby ... if it's higher than Display, you probably have excess power-drain from your phone trying desperately to re-attach to your nearest tower.

To tell for certain, touch "Cell standby", it will show details for the battery usage by the cell radio .. look for the line "Time without a signal" ...

The consensus seems to be that if your Time-without-a-signal is over 50% this is buggy / computationally-insane behaviour ... I would actually say that if this is honest, if you are in a high-signal area, you shold have this close to 0 ... but the web-link below indicates that there is a known Android 2.1 logic bug here ... and to take action if you are getting not just bad but apallingly-bad numbers, i.e. over 50%

I just checked mine and found it at at an astonishingly high 93% ... ouch

Interestingly, if I am partially understanding this correctly, the "50% bug" seems to be that it forgets that it is already attached to a tower and decides to do desperately hunt for a tower anyway ...

A simple solution, which may be non-permanent:

"check in the battery information screen showed that a process called Cell Standby was the culprit. In most cases the phone showed that it was without a signal 50% of the time. In some cases it was around 70-80. A quick trip into Airplane mode for a few minutes, followed by a reboot seemed to be a generally accepted workaround if you are experiencing this issue."
    =-=-=
    Put it on airplane mode. Turn off the phone and turn it back on than turn off airplane mode. Turning on airplane and turning it off in like 3min does it as well

For a may-be-permanent, see the first post at
    http://forums.verizo...all/td-p/210586

Your Time-without-a-signal count is a time-accumulator ... I don't know whether it is a % of the last N hours without signal or a % ever without signal, but my guess is that it is fir former, and likely % of the last 24 hours without signal. If I'm correct in that, after the N (24?) hours have passed after a successful fix, your time without a signal percentage should stop towards or to 0.

This makes sense to me.If the phone is trying to find a signal, doesn't it drain the battery faster?

After my phone going from a full charge down to 33% in about 8 hours, I found the "50% bug" for the first time yesterday.I tried turning airplane mode on and off again a few minutes later.I then went the rest of the evening (about 6 hours) and it only went down to 27% of the battery.yesterday when I checked the "battery used by cell radio" and "time without a signal", it was 75% and 90% respectively.today, after turning airplane mode on and off after a few minutes (apparently, this needs to be done after every charge), it is currently 8% and 5%, respectively.I disconnected the phone from the charger about 9 hours ago, and currently have 76% left on the battery.

Having said all that, I don't know why it would not be able to find a signal in Houston, TX.

got a new battery from verizon.. we'll see if anything changes.

56 hours 57 minutes and counting with 9% battery left!!!! No idea how but its doing it...

Last time I did the fix for the 50% bug, my Ally battery usage went up quite a bit. Once I restarted the phone (thus undoing the fix), battery life went back to normal, which was having 15%-20% charge remain after a typical day's usage. I thought that was weird, as in it went against what would seem to be the common wisdom, but who am I to argue?

I installed the Task Killer App and since then, my battery was draining rather quickly each day. I would get to 20% towards the evening. I uninstalled the Task Killer and immediately saw improvement on battery life. I usually charge it overnight and by 6AM I take it off the charger. I just checked my battery life and at 12:52PM, I am at 94% for the battery level. This includes receiving and sending texts and making several calls.

I usually let my battery completely die before recharging and have been able to go 2-3 days between charges (with moderate usage, heavy texting). When I plugged in to charge, it would start at 0-1%. Lately when I plug in to charge, though, the starting percentage has been around 9%. Today it started at 14%. I've had the phone less than a year, original battery. Does this mean it's time for a new battery or is this a defect suddenly popping up?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chinacat120 View Post
    I usually let my battery completely die before recharging and have been able to go 2-3 days between charges (with moderate usage, heavy texting). When I plugged in to charge, it would start at 0-1%. Lately when I plug in to charge, though, the starting percentage has been around 9%. Today it started at 14%. I've had the phone less than a year, original battery. Does this mean it's time for a new battery or is this a defect suddenly popping up?

Wow! You are lucky! My phones battery on last a few hours before needing to be charged. Its been like that since I got the phone. My phone is on the charger most of the day.

Thanks!

I have reached where others on this forum have reached. I see people posting all the time how their phones have been going for days and days without a charge and I believe I figured out how each and every one of us can do the same...DON'T USE THE PHONE AT ALL!

While busy doing other things a few days ago I didn't look at my phone. No calls, texts, browsing, nothing, and my battery remained very full.

So for those of you that for whatever reason want a battery that will stay charged till the rapture, just leave it sitting on a table holding down your papers.

For those of us who bought android because we wanted its features to actually be used (includes me) we will have to suffer with midday charging and have a charger attached at the hip to keep it going.

Btw, why would anyone buy this phone, pay the monthly data charges and not use data? Makes about as much sense as buying a car and never driving it. Or driving it and never turning on the a/c or the radio.

Cars have radios?
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links