How long does it take your battery to charge?

This is a discussion on How long does it take your battery to charge? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; One frustration I'm having currently is that my battery on the Ally take forever to charge. I am using the included charger cable and adapter ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take your battery to charge?

One frustration I'm having currently is that my battery on the Ally take forever to charge. I am using the included charger cable and adapter - and pluggin straight into the wall - so its not an issue of charging from a laptop - or usb port or something. This is straight from a power outlet.

It seems to take several hours to charge the phone from ~30% to 100%. For example, I was at 38% and plugged in my phone - went to lunch. An hour later I checked and my phone was at 46%. That's SLOOOW.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Yes, mine seems to to take 2-3 hours to from low to full. Yours seems really slow. Is it hot? Is it running some app?

I've been doing a few experiments for charging ...

note that these results have not been tested at both top and bottom of the power-range (bottom may charge faster than the top, and that would screw with my estimates):

Best so far: MotoDroid USB 0.85A charger, charges Ally at a rate of 30%/hour

second best: cheap-chinese-junk USB 1A charger bought for iPodTouch ... $1+3SH from taiwan ... 24%/hour

Third-best: came-in-box LG-Ally USB charger, 1A, charge rate = 22%/hour

fourth-best = older 1A USB charger, rate = 18%/hour

fifth-best = white-cube chinese-junk iphone-charger, 1A, rate = 12%/hour

yet-to-test but will soon

* LG HBM-520 headset 0.85A charger ... has worked well as my nightly charger, but my Ally battery was full last night when I had finished the other charger tests ... will try tonight

* "TRANS4M 4-in-1" = does-everything 110V-wall / 12V-car / 2AA / 19V $14.99@yahoo ... hasn't arrived yet

* 2 other cheap car-chargers, supposedly claim will charge the Ally in under an hour ... maybe deceptive advertising, but trying since really cheap, since my other car chargers are useless

total-failure:

iphone/ipod car charger that came with above second-best, 1A ... Ally charge DROPPED 1% after 30 minutes

AFAICT, any charger that runs at 0.5A or 0.3A, regardless of quality

Be VERY careful with anything that claims to charge a LiPo battery in under an hour, charging a LiPo battery at over 1c can be a VERY bad idea. That being said, the battery in our phones SHOULD be able to take 1.5a input for charging, BUT heat may be an issue, and I'm not sure if the phone will handle current that high (an external battery charger should be able to, but be sure to keep it cool during the charge.

I just got my phone and was doing my first charge and like you, it took about an hour just to get through the first 15%. I then decided to take a walk so I put my phone on silent mode and airplane mode and also turned the screen off. When I got back from my walk about an hour later, it had charged all the way up to 45%. That's twice as much charge as the first hour. Don't know which one had more of an impact, but obviously by switching to airplane mode and turning the screen off, the phone wasn't using battery power while it was trying to charge so it was able to charge quicker. Try those two things and see if you have any better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus531 View Post
    I've been doing a few experiments for charging ...

note that these results have not been tested at both top and bottom of the power-range (bottom may charge faster than the top, and that would screw with my estimates):

Best so far: MotoDroid USB 0.85A charger, charges Ally at a rate of 30%/hour

second best: cheap-chinese-junk USB 1A charger bought for iPodTouch ... =marcus531;104781+3SH from taiwan ... 24%/hour

Third-best: came-in-box LG-Ally USB charger, 1A, charge rate = 22%/hour

fourth-best = older 1A USB charger, rate = 18%/hour

fifth-best = white-cube chinese-junk iphone-charger, 1A, rate = 12%/hour

yet-to-test but will soon

* LG HBM-520 headset 0.85A charger ... has worked well as my nightly charger, but my Ally battery was full last night when I had finished the other charger tests ... will try tonight

* "TRANS4M 4-in-1" = does-everything 110V-wall / 12V-car / 2AA / 19V [b] .99@yahoo ... hasn't arrived yet

* 2 other cheap car-chargers, supposedly claim will charge the Ally in under an hour ... maybe deceptive advertising, but trying since really cheap, since my other car chargers are useless

total-failure:

iphone/ipod car charger that came with above second-best, 1A ... Ally charge DROPPED 1% after 30 minutes

AFAICT, any charger that runs at 0.5A or 0.3A, regardless of quality

New #1 and new #2 ...

the TRANS4M 110V-wall / 12V-car / 2xAA / 1x9V 2USB gets 42% per hour, far in front of everything else, and approximately double the rate of the came-with-the-Ally charger

$15-$20 at amazon.com ... http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12765532...,i:electronics

The LG HBM-520 corded charger at 0.85A gets 35% per hour

and the LG-LBM-520 is a nice little bluetooth earpiece

rest of the results downrated:

Third-best so far: MotoDroid USB 0.85A charger, charges Ally at a rate of 30%/hour

fourth best: cheap-chinese-junk USB 1A charger bought for iPodTouch ... $1+3SH from taiwan ... 24%/hour

fifth best: came-in-box LG-Ally USB charger, 1A, charge rate = 22%/hour

sixth best = older 1A USB charger, rate = 18%/hour

seventh best = white-cube chinese-junk iphone-charger, 1A, rate = 12%/hour

Note that I have not yet gotten the TRANS4M into it's car mode, but I'll drain the Ally and try tomorrow

(I have a few other cheap chargers to try ... I'll update here if anything else comes close to 42% cheaply )

I have a universal external battery charger, that I would have to double check the specs on, since I don't have it in front of me. It has two contacts on it that you move around to get the right distance from one spot to another on the battery and I've been using that for my 2 regular Ally batteries and my primary extended one. I typically run the batteries to down near 15 % according to the Ally's stats and charge them from there. I know it takes a while to charge (usually at least 3-4 hrs) but thankfully, I usually manage to have at least one of the others charged, if not two. I would LOVE to get a legit LG standalone battery charger, but since I'm not always anywhere near an outlet, I carry spare batteries instead.

- ThE MaD RuSsIaN

Well my phone has been plugged in all night and barely read 38%

Quote Originally Posted by rmdelete View Post
    Well my phone has been plugged in all night and barely read 38%

We need then to talk about possible power losses ...

When I plug my phone in, it automatically turns on the screen. I always then turn it off

(but I did set somewhere in the main settings that it should stay on while plugged in).

Also, do you have your GPS radio turned on?

And/or possibly WiFi is on?

Next to look for things that are running unnecessarily :

Main-screen -> settings -> About Phone -> Battery use ... this will show you a sorted bar-graph of what has used most of your battery power

Main-screen -> settings -> applications -> Running Services

Also you can use any of the available (generally free) "App-Killer" programs that will show you (possibly via optional-settings) what the CPU utilization of your currently running programs is (although none that I have tried so far show graphs or accumulations of CPU total use the way the Battery-use graph does).

Next alternative possibility is if nothing looks like it has excessive battery use above is to see if either your Ally or the charger pod seems warm ... bad charger pods get hot due to internal electrical resistance. Alternatively, an Ally that claims no unusual heave use on the Battery-use page but is itself hot could be an internal bad circuit or improper wiring in the charger pod delivering voltage across USB badly.

One possible test would be to try another_high_quality_ 0.85A or 1.0A USB charger pod from an ipod-touch or another Android device (not cheap-from-ebay-from-China, which generally perform poorly as I was posting about above). Note that many computers output only 0.5A, which is enough only to keep an Ally level, not to give any worthwhile % per hour increase.

I'm having this same problem. I even bought a car charger for it and the car charger charges very slow

I also cannot charge it when it is turned off. It automatically turns the phone on when I plug it in. If I turn the phone off while charging, it automatically comes back on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads