Battery Life & Cell Standby, possible fix

This is a discussion on Battery Life & Cell Standby, possible fix within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; This morning my standby was at 36% - I changed the settings per the above instructions and it's gotten worse - now at 44%. Hoping ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life & Cell Standby, possible fix

This morning my standby was at 36% - I changed the settings per the above instructions and it's gotten worse - now at 44%. Hoping this takes a cycle or two.

This morning my standby was at 36% - I changed the settings per the above instructions and it's gotten worse - now at 44%. Hoping this takes a cycle or two.

Does anyone know if training the battery to keep a longer life by draining it works? I know Mac recommends this calibrating procedure for the Mac's. Thought I would ask...

Quote Originally Posted by lynrva View Post
    Does anyone know if training the battery to keep a longer life by draining it works? I know Mac recommends this calibrating procedure for the Mac's. Thought I would ask...

From what I have heard, the answer would be yes. A new battery needs to be drained and recharged a couple of times before it will reach its full potential.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    From what I have heard, the answer would be yes. A new battery needs to be drained and recharged a couple of times before it will reach its full potential.

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG! I can't believe people still say this and even some manuals say this also.

Lithium-Ion batteries DO NOT NEED conditioning... it will hurt your battery to do this. Ni-Cd or Ni-MHd do need conditioning so it is good for them, but your phone batter is L-ION.

L-ION's have NO MEMORY and they are easily damaged at low or zero charges. and simple internet search will confirm.

Hi Gaetawoo, thanks for your input. This has already been discussed in another forum here, and you are correct. The phone does however prevent the battery from being discharged below critical level, same with charging. It also contains a Thermister to help prevent damage in the event it becomes too warm.

Does the battery benefit from cycling?.....it shouldn't. But many members cycle their batteries and really feel like they get a better charge, and or battery life.

I think it's fair to say that AA was speaking of his own experience, as other members have.

Quote Originally Posted by gaetawoo View Post
    THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG! I can't believe people still say this and even some manuals say this also.

Lithium-Ion batteries DO NOT NEED conditioning... it will hurt your battery to do this. Ni-Cd or Ni-MHd do need conditioning so it is good for them, but your phone batter is L-ION.

L-ION's have NO MEMORY and they are easily damaged at low or zero charges. and simple internet search will confirm.

"Lithium batteries contain a fuel gauge that must be reset periodically. The fuel gauge measures the charge left in a battery. A gauge that is not reset might become inaccurate. To prevent this from happening, completely discharge the battery once a month to reset the gauge."

A simple web search provided this information. So it is not absolutely wrong, it just uses different terminology.

For every expert that says one thing you will find an expert that says the opposite.

I do not claim to be an expert but I also don't give an answer until I have at least tried to test it to see if it works or provide a link to another site that contains information that might be useful.

For me, draining the battery and recharging did appear to make a difference on my phone.
    Motorola Droid 4

My standby stays between 30-60 I dont really have battery issues. I mean yeah battery life is short and I do notice I dont get as good of a signal as I did with my rogue so *shrugs*

TGO
    OK This issue brought me to this forum LOL. First I am no cellphone expert but I do have a tech background. Secondly, I LOVE my ally! And lastly the 50% bug... I first cam across this and a few other forums that many of you likely frequent researching how to extend my battery life and I was able to confirm that my phone absoloutely has this issue. Percentage without a signal is often as high as 99% I treid the airplane mode and also the *#*# fix and was initially discouraged because it did not appear to resolve the issue every time nor were the fixes lasting till the next boot.

At that point I called Verizon. What amazed me was I seemed to know more about the problem than their Tech. It was as if nobody had ever had this issue and they are completely unaware. After a bunch of preliminary configuration testing I did get some valuable insight. When I am having the problem my signal bars jump all over the place... going from 0 to 4 and changing constantly often dropping out of 3G. The Tech specifically asked me if my bars held steady and said that it really didn't matter (overall) if there are 1 or 4 as long as they are not jumping around constantly (some movement is natural but constant movement is an indication the cell radio is constantly looking for a signal and will drin the batt more than normal). Humm. She finished the call by opening a trouble ticket w the network folks who will make a determination if itg. Is the network or my phone... if it is my phone they will send me a new one. We know it is not the network AND I would be inclined to receive and configure another phone that has the same problem... but I will see what they say.

In the meantime I continued testing... and My experience only... with this phone... has yielded the following belief. When the airplane mode boot works it works great but it does not work every time for me. The APM fix does not last till the next boot... it may last all day or an hour. Now I watch my signal bars... when I see them jumping around I employ the APM fix and it usually works. I do it twice a day or so and my % without a signal stays good. Hopefully LG is more aware of the issue than verizon and we will get a patch... in the meantime it seems a small price to pay for having such a GREAT phone IMHO. My brother got a htc aria and I can't stand it compared to my ally which zi find quite intuative and user friendly.Regards, Tim

Sent from my ally

TGO
    Verizon just called and said I need to buy a good cell repeater... I see where this is going :{

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links