Battery Life & Cell Standby, possible fix

This is a discussion on Battery Life & Cell Standby, possible fix within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Something worth reading and trying. None of this is mine or do I say this will work, but I have tried it, so we'll see. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life & Cell Standby, possible fix

Something worth reading and trying. None of this is mine or do I say this will work, but I have tried it, so we'll see. Thought I would share.

Why your LG Ally has horrible battery life

http://businessforums.verizon.net/t5...ife/m-p/210484

How to "Fix" the 50% dreaded bug issue on almost all android devices.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Android...ll/td-p/210586

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

The one thing i've never understood about this bug is how it effects your battery life? What I mean is does it decrease your battery life more when you are using the phone compared to when you use it without the bug or does it even drain the battery quicker when you are not using it?

The reason I ask is because mine always has some high percentage of cell standby usage but if i'm not using the phone, I don't notice any signficant drop in battery life. For instance, mine says right now that it's 50% cell standby. I hadn't touched the phone for a couple of hours (maybe a little less, not sure exactly how long it's been) prior to looking just now and I only lost like 2-3% battery life in that couple of hours. That doesn't seem that bad so I was just wondering if I need to be using the phone to see the battery life drop quicker when this bug shows up.

Thanks, I'm giving it a shot. May not have been aware had you not shared this. Much appreciated.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

This is what I think is the issue but I could be off base on some it.

Cell Standby shouldn't use very much battery life. All it is doing is holding on to the network signal so that it is ready when you need it. However, if it loses that signal it can eat up a lot of battery life trying to find it again. The bug that most people experience is that the Cell Standby is eating up 50% or more of their battery life even if they are in a major area where they should always have a signal. I checked my battery usage and it shows Cell Standby at 60%. I clicked on Cell Standby and it showed that I have gone 82% of my time without a signal. Note, this is after I followed the instructions that were provided in the link above. Before I changed the setting, Cell Standby was at 47%. I will have to watch it some more to see if the percentage doesn't improve. I happen to live in the country where it is possible that I don't have a signal most of the time.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    This is what I think is the issue but I could be off base on some it. Cell Standby shouldn't use very much battery life. All it is doing is holding on to the network signal so that it is ready when you need it. However, if it loses that signal it can eat up a lot of battery life trying to find it again. The bug that most people experience is that the Cell Standby is eating up 50% or more of their battery life even if they are in a major area where they should always have a signal. I checked my battery usage and it shows Cell Standby at 60%. I clicked on Cell Standby and it showed that I have gone 82% of my time without a signal. Note, this is after I followed the instructions that were provided in the link above. Before I changed the setting, Cell Standby was at 47%. I will have to watch it some more to see if the percentage doesn't improve. I happen to live in the country where it is possible that I don't have a signal most of the time.
    i did some digging and found this onthe verizon thread... its what im trying.... if you try it make sure u are paying attn and know how to reverse it... here is what i copied
    Thought I'd add something to the mixture and hope it helps diagnose/fix the 50% bug issue. Here goes: First I tried the 'fix' you listed on my LG Ally. --Open dial pad and dial *#*#4636#*#* (If Testing menu doesn't come up than click "Call" and it will come up)>Go to Phone information>Scroll down and you'll see preferred network type>click it and switch it to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) That did not change anything after 6 hours. Tried 3 times with no result. Turned the phone off and on...still no result. Then I switched to 'Airplane' mode'. Turned the phone off for 5 minutes. Turned the phone on. Checked Settings/Battery use/Cell standby. Time without signal was 42% NOT 50% Checked again at 1 hour intervals. Time without signal 4 hours later was 18%(before going to bed for the night. Left the phone on and NOT plugged into the charger. Battery level at that point was 80%. When I got up the next morning the time without signal was 1% and the battery level was 78% That is a dramatic change from before. I've been watching the battery level all morning through normal use including 1 hour of Pandora radio, 15 minutes talk time and some texting. Although the battery level has gone done I do notice that if I'm not using anything on the phone the battery level barely changes. I hope this helps. i will let u all know how it turned out for me

I have the crappiest service at home, so I figured I give it a shot. I haven't notice any true change, but as the threads stated, you may have to do it two to three times to make it the default.

Well, I think it helped some. Not with the percentage of Cell Standby but with the amount of time that there was no signal.

11:30 PM

Battery is 100% charged.

I removed the phone from the charger to leave unplugged all night. I also made sure that WiFi and Bluetooth was off.

8:00 AM

Battery is 98% charged.

Cell Standby 50% (Time Without Signal 0%)

Phone Idle 50%

So I only lost 2% of my battery life for 8 hours of non use.

I will keep an eye on it the rest of the day and see what happens.
    Motorola Droid 4

I've seen an improvement with the fix. Used to see upwards of 80% Cell Standby and now it stays at 50%.

The biggest improvement in battery life for me was when I stopped it from polling for gmail - I know that's not a good fix for a lot of people, but I don't use gmail regularly and if I want to check it, I just do so manually.

Update

6:30 PM

Battery Level is 64% and it has been off a charger for 19 hours.

Android System 42%

Cell Standby 25% (21% Time Without Signal)

Phone Idle 20%

Bluetooth 10%

Voice Calls 3%

Display 2%

11:30 PM

Battery Level after 24 hours off of the charger is 50%.

Android System 38%

Cell Standby 27% (17% Time Without Signal)

Phone Idle 22%

Bluetooth 9%

Voice Calls 3%

Display 3%

Here is what I did on the phone today (which isn't much compared to what I normally do):

Checked Facebook twice.

Used Flixster to find a movie.

Used the browser to find a local DMV (had to renew my DL)

Used the phone 5 times in the car which I had to turn Bluetooth on for.

Tonight, I am making sure that WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Synch, and Brightness are all turned off. Last night only used 2% of Battery Life so I am hoping it repeats it again tonight.
    Motorola Droid 4

Update

7:00 AM

Battery Level after 31 1/2 hours off of the charger is 42%.

Android System 34%

Cell Standby 30% (13% Time Without Signal)

Phone Idle 25%

Bluetooth 8%

Voice Calls 3%

Display 3%

8:00 PM

Battery Level after 44 1/2 hours off of the charger is 21%.

Android System 65%

Cell Standby 17% (17% Time Without Signal)

Phone Idle 13%

Bluetooth 4%

Voice Calls 3%

Display 2%

I think I could have gone another 12-15 hours without having to recharge but I had to end my tests. It appears that everybody I know, including people I hardly ever talk to, decided to call me today.

Motorola Droid 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads