LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

This is a discussion on LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade! within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Kevin Everyone I have talked with says the Ally is history and won't be upgraded. Verizon reps, Best Buy reps, etc. They ...

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Everyone I have talked with says the Ally is history and won't be upgraded. Verizon reps, Best Buy reps, etc. They want to get the phone out of their inventory asap. Personally, I have really enjoyed my Ally, and this forum as well. The Ally is an excellent starter Smart Phone. BUT, cell phone technology is such a rapidly advancing technology, and even though the thing came out just a few short months ago, It's time has come. The processor is already behind, the camera really sucks, and Froyo isn't happening. I was checking out the new Droids and the Fascinate, and I am starting to realize that I really can't wait to move onward and upward! I'll probably have my Ally for a few more months, but I will be looking closely at the holiday and end-of-year deals that come up. Great phone, but now that I am hooked on all that is Android, I NEED more!!! (addicted?)

dont get too excited about the fascinate. i had it and it has it's problems also. and it's too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    dont get too excited about the fascinate. i had it and it has it's problems also. and it's too big.

I personally think the HTC Incredible is my favorite Android phone right now. Of couse, when I broke my BlackBerry, cost was what led me to the Ally. And I have to say I have enjoyed it also. I am not so sure at this point about 2.2 but I am sure someone will come out with a custom ROM for rooted phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Everyone I have talked with says the Ally is history and won't be upgraded. Verizon reps, Best Buy reps, etc. They want to get the phone out of their inventory asap. Personally, I have really enjoyed my Ally, and this forum as well. The Ally is an excellent starter Smart Phone. BUT, cell phone technology is such a rapidly advancing technology, and even though the thing came out just a few short months ago, It's time has come. The processor is already behind, the camera really sucks, and Froyo isn't happening. I was checking out the new Droids and the Fascinate, and I am starting to realize that I really can't wait to move onward and upward! I'll probably have my Ally for a few more months, but I will be looking closely at the holiday and end-of-year deals that come up. Great phone, but now that I am hooked on all that is Android, I NEED more!!! (addicted?)

I am a tad new to these forums, but not quite to the Ally or well LG/Verizon. Before the Ally I had the EnV Touch which a lot of people said was outdated and never going to get any decent updates. But it got one more update to the new browser just before I switched to my Ally.

And I decided to look around at some other smart phones in the same arena as the Ally, and there are quite a few. Currently LG has 2 other smart phones running FroYo (Android 2.2) that are using the same processor as the Ally. The Optimus S and the Optimus T. As far as I can tell as well, they may have a bit more internal storage but their memory/ROM are the same and overall are not as nice as the Ally is (lower resolution and such).

So this makes me ask why they would consider the LG Ally DOA and not even think of putting FroYo on it. If other phones running the same specs are running it, then how can the Ally not? Albiet the other phones are on Sprint and T-Mobile (the S and T) and are newer but still.

I think its possible there are glitches and bugs they have to get around but I don't think that they cannot put ForYo onto the Ally. I think its just a matter of time.

Well at least I am hoping. I moved to the Ally because my EnV Touch liked to randomly restart or be slow and from what I could find, the EnV Touch 2 (EnV Pro) was cancelled.

I loved my EnV Touch for what it was -- a first-class messaging or feature phone. I've enjoyed the Ally tremendously, mainly because of the Android OS. I was hoping LG/Google would upgrade the Ally to FroYo, but I have to agree, it feels pretty unlikely. The Ally is now available at Wal-Mart for under $20, so it does look like they're doing everything they can to move them. I'm surprised they haven't made them free yet. Which is a shame, because it's not a bad little phone. I have to admit, i feel a little ripped off, like LG just put this out on the market without ever having any plans of supporting it even for a year.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I picked mine up at Wally World on July 1 for $28.

I've never had a phone *with* support so this is really a non-issue for me. Rooting opens up a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by John23ally View Post
    I loved my EnV Touch for what it was -- a first-class messaging or feature phone. I've enjoyed the Ally tremendously, mainly because of the Android OS. I was hoping LG/Google would upgrade the Ally to FroYo, but I have to agree, it feels pretty unlikely. The Ally is now available at Wal-Mart for under , so it does look like they're doing everything they can to move them. I'm surprised they haven't made them free yet. Which is a shame, because it's not a bad little phone. I have to admit, i feel a little ripped off, like LG just put this out on the market without ever having any plans of supporting it even for a year.

I too loved my EnV Touch. Having dual Dolby class speakers was very nice and it had the same style text messaging (conversation style). But compared to the Ally it was too constricte due to Verizons OS. I actually consider the Ally the EnV Touch 2. Both came out with no real support but the EnV Touch had 11 (to date) updates which included a new browser, that was MUCH better.

Bust as I said. The Optimus line has the same Qualcomm processor as the Ally and as far as I can tell the same RAM amount, I have yet to find the full specs for them online.

That means that the Ally is probably fully capable of supporting FroYo. Of course you have to add in the Verizon crap too but that mainly uses the onboard storage and they seem to stop themselves after a while so they don't use up all the memory.

I still hope they do give us FroYo. I have contemplated "Rooting" my phone as I do have a hacked PSP that is ten times better but I would rather try and stay legit on my phone.

This is what I heard and it makes sense. LG and Verizon have the upgrade for the Ally but are delaying its release to promote sales of their newer phones with 2.2 installed on them. Once they reach an x amount in sales of the newer phones, froyo will be made available for the Ally. So tell all your friends that its not coming and they are better off getting a newer phone so we can get it sooner.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I figured something like that so if it's true it's understandable.

That would make sense. But then again, most people will opt for the newest phones. I opted for the Ally because my experience with LG has been great, it has a nice real keyboard, my fiance liked it and I got both phones for $50 bucks after MBR.

I guess that would at least give us hope. I would like to try FroYo before I decider to root my phone.

I recently rooted my Ally, and it was the best decision I have made. I actually made me enjoy this phone.

Velocity v.3, GNM Turbo 4, apps2SD. With these enhancements, as well as others, rooting the phone was a good idea. I NEVER have to worry about the memory anymore, since I partitioned the SD card, all of my apps go directly there. The Ally is capable of alot of things, and its an even better phone rooted. I was really down on the Ally until I rooted it, and I will never look back.

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links