LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

This is a discussion on LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade! within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; thats fantabulous lol...

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

thats fantabulous lol

So I've been reading that 2.2 will allow users to store apps on their SD cards. Is this for sure? I tried an app titled "appuninstaller" that stated it would allow me to store my current apps on my SD card. I was able to save them to my SD card, but they were also still using memory on my phone.

Is there any other way to transfer them from phone memory to SD card?

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Reading the description for "appuninstaller", it says you can "save apps to SD", I'm guessing this wording is carefully chosen, as it's not the same as fully transferring an app to your SD card. Probably just means once you download an app, you can also save it to your SD card, so if you ever reset your phone, you won't have to hunt down all your apps in the market again.

Even with Android 2.2., it won't be a guarantee. The individual app developers will have the "option" to allow you to install their app to your SD card. If they for some reason, don't want to allow this option, you'll still be forced to install that specific app on your internal memory. So it's not a total change with 2.2, but they will start allowing the developers to enable this option. Hopefully most developers will allow it.

Only other thing I've heard of is a complicated process involving rooting your phone, using an app called App2SD, formatting and partitioning your SD card, and then you can install files to SD.

I try to just stick with the apps that I need or use frequently. Best method of freeing up memory is not having a million apps.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    I try to just stick with the apps that I need or use frequently. Best method of freeing up memory is not having a million apps.

Exactly what I do. Don't have tons of apps installed or running.

Any research on the Ally will tell you that it's not loaded with memory, and I think a few issues are related to just having to many apps running. The Ally wasn't marketed as a hi-end power user phone, but it was marketed to those wanting to get into an Android phone. This category I think includes those that want to try out tons of apps and have a cool phone.

Curious to see what 2.2 will bring to us Ally users!

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I wonder when they'll announce a date.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    Reading the description for "appuninstaller", it says you can "save apps to SD", I'm guessing this wording is carefully chosen, as it's not the same as fully transferring an app to your SD card. Probably just means once you download an app, you can also save it to your SD card, so if you ever reset your phone, you won't have to hunt down all your apps in the market again.

Even with Android 2.2., it won't be a guarantee. The individual app developers will have the "option" to allow you to install their app to your SD card. If they for some reason, don't want to allow this option, you'll still be forced to install that specific app on your internal memory. So it's not a total change with 2.2, but they will start allowing the developers to enable this option. Hopefully most developers will allow it.

Only other thing I've heard of is a complicated process involving rooting your phone, using an app called App2SD, formatting and partitioning your SD card, and then you can install files to SD.

The Devs won't HAVE to make their apps available to be saved to SD card, however now that they have the option, they can create complex, sizable apps that wouldn't have gotten a lot of downloads before cuz most phones don't have the space that the Incredible has. I think once 2.2+ goes more mainstream, we're gonna see much cooler apps that practically require you to save them to your sd card.

I'm just excited that we may be getting Flash!

Thats the one thing that annoyed me since i've gotten my phone, no ability to view photos/videos that are flash powered

But hopefully this will change with Froyo!

A few things and I'm not sure yet if its available for the lg ally but if you have access to the program called astro file manager all ya gotta do is select the apps and hit backup and the .apk files show up on a folder aptly named backups... best part is that its free

as part of a long call with verizon... no i swear to god i don't have a perverse love for verizon reps this is what i found out

all phones will be recieving froyo in the order or original release so expect the ally to get upgraded around the first of september or so... im figuring that by the end of september by the tentative schedule i was given that the ally will be getting froyo and all phones will be froyo by black friday

i based this off the knowledge that froyo is hitting the motorola devour starting the 18th of this month and knowing the devour wasn't as big as the droid 1 and eris that the push should go fast and according to the rep the ally came out directly after the devour so that allows me to presume that froyo will hit around september 1st

Quote Originally Posted by angelfire123 View Post
    as part of a long call with verizon... no i swear to god i don't have a perverse love for verizon reps this is what i found out

all phones will be recieving froyo in the order or original release so expect the ally to get upgraded around the first of september or so... im figuring that by the end of september by the tentative schedule i was given that the ally will be getting froyo and all phones will be froyo by black friday

i based this off the knowledge that froyo is hitting the motorola devour starting the 18th of this month and knowing the devour wasn't as big as the droid 1 and eris that the push should go fast and according to the rep the ally came out directly after the devour so that allows me to presume that froyo will hit around september 1st

I talked to a rep too, they said in this area Droid and Droid X are receiving their updates now, and this was the other day. So, we should be seeing something soon.

What does froyo entail? Meaning upgrading to froyo will do what for the phones.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links