LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

This is a discussion on LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade! within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by bu88a1974 So my phone (and my wife's Ally) got the update on Friday morning and the first thing I'm noticing is that ...

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by bu88a1974 View Post
    So my phone (and my wife's Ally) got the update on Friday morning and the first thing I'm noticing is that our texting is delayed when sending. It can sit with the little "sending" icon for anywhere from 2 minutes to almost an hour.

I called customer service to find out what the deal is. They got me over to tech support who had me do the *228 option #2 thing. While we were waiting for my phone to update, we were chatting a bit and she said that the issue we're having is common, and the *228 should take care of the issue.

We also were talking about the last 2 updates in general as well as FroYo. I mentioned that it seemed kind of odd that if FroYo is going to be coming out to the Ally, why even bother with the update? Her response was that "2.2 is being pushed out right now in batches to the Ally users. The update we received on Friday was necessary software for the phones to be able to get the 2.2 update. The batches are going out by serial number, so (in theory) my phone may get the 2.2 update sooner than my wife's phone, depending on where the s/n's on the phones fall.

So... that being said: Do I believe her? Yeah. She seemed to have a good amount of product knowledge (her brother has the Ally also). Am I getting my hopes up? A little, perhaps. But I guess we'll see.

Crossing my fingers!

My face is turning blue...

Quote Originally Posted by glockman39 View Post
    Is crossing his fingers

Quote Originally Posted by glockman39 View Post

Anyone know CPR?
    Motorola Droid 4

I sure hope this is true. I really like my phone but I am constantly deleting apps so I don't get the low memory icon flashing on me. I really need the apps to SD feature. Apps also seem to be getting larger. I have only had my ally 3 months and every app update seems to double their size. I am not holding my breath.

I really do hope that they do the FroYo update for these phones. I'm kinda ticked off at this point since, when I first got the phone back in July, I'd been reading that it was supposed to be coming.

There were other phones that I'd looked at for the same price that I COULD have gotten, but since I'm an LG fan in general, I'd kept the hope alive past the 30 day mark (when I could have swapped for a different phone). If this doesn't come and fix the issues my phone has been having, I'm gonna have to pitch a fit.

One of the huge points that I'm looking forward to with 2.2 is Bluetooth headset voice-dialing. Since I'm so close to Chicago, it's illegal to talk on the phone and drive without a hands-free kit, and it defeats the purpose of having said kit if I have to look at my phone while I'm driving to call someone. Seems to be almost as bad as texting while driving.

I just got the update here in San Diego about an hour ago. Unfortunately, as with all updates I get, my phone stops working after update and I had to reset again...

I'm tired of losing all of my apps each time a "major" update comes out, so can we PLEASE get what we all want?

Verizon: Stop blaming the lack of info on other peoples' ineptitude, and

LG: Pick up the pace. You just came out with the Vortex. Its not that much different from the Ally.

If Verizon would put nearly as much work into the other phones as the do with the Droid series, we might actually see some decent progress.

(Seriously... there are like 7 or 8 Droid phones out now. WTF?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Anyone know CPR?

I either die holding my breath for this update, or I die of old age waiting.

I bought my Ally about a week ago because I was able to get it for $30. (Droid for $30! I'll take it!!)

When I began having issues with running out of space I turned to Google and before I knew it I had joined the apparently LARGE number of Ally users who are impatiently waiting for the FroYo 2.2 update.

I want it too! When can I have it??

I made a series of phone calls to Verizon and LG and I stopped by the Verizon store.

I called Verizon yesterday and the rep told me that the Froyo 2.2 update had begun to be "pushed out in batches" to some users. I confirmed that this meant some users were now running 2.2 and she said yes. (most likely mis-reading the Nov 19th update)

Then I went to the Verizon store and asked the sales rep if Froyo 2.2 was going out to Ally users and she said NO, she also told me it was LG's responsibility to develop and deliver these updates.

This morning I called LG. They said they merely make the phone. Any software updates would be done by Verizon.

So I called Verizon and asked to speak with someone who had technical expertise and who would be able to definitively answer my questions about the Froyo 2.2 update for Ally. I was transfered to a knowledgeable sounding technician named Daniel who informed me that due to the Ally's smaller processor (in his opinion) it will most likely NOT receive Froyo 2.2. He confirmed that there was an update to 2.1 available as of Nov, 19 2010 but that no further updates are planned.

Froyo 2.2 is currently NOT being pushed out to Ally users and there are no indications that it ever will be, according to Daniel from Verizon on November 30th, 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiis View Post
    I bought my Ally about a week ago because I was able to get it for . (Droid for ! I'll take it!!)

When I began having issues with running out of space I turned to Google and before I knew it I had joined the apparently LARGE number of Ally users who are impatiently waiting for the FroYo 2.2 update.

I want it too! When can I have it??

I made a series of phone calls to Verizon and LG and I stopped by the Verizon store.

I called Verizon yesterday and the rep told me that the Froyo 2.2 update had begun to be "pushed out in batches" to some users. I confirmed that this meant some users were now running 2.2 and she said yes. (most likely mis-reading the Nov 19th update)

Then I went to the Verizon store and asked the sales rep if Froyo 2.2 was going out to Ally users and she said NO, she also told me it was LG's responsibility to develop and deliver these updates.

This morning I called LG. They said they merely make the phone. Any software updates would be done by Verizon.

So I called Verizon and asked to speak with someone who had technical expertise and who would be able to definitively answer my questions about the Froyo 2.2 update for Ally. I was transfered to a knowledgeable sounding technician named Daniel who informed me that due to the Ally's smaller processor (in his opinion) it will most likely NOT receive Froyo 2.2. He confirmed that there was an update to 2.1 available as of Nov, 19 2010 but that no further updates are planned.

Froyo 2.2 is currently NOT being pushed out to Ally users and there are no indications that it ever will be, according to Daniel from Verizon on November 30th, 2010.

Not going to be mean but Daniel might not be as savvy on tech as you might think. I used to work for Verizon Landline and they had Wireless in the same call center. Trust me when I say the people they hire know nothing beyond what VZ tells them.

That said, the reason I don't trust his reasoning is because its BS. The Ally has the same CPU as the LG Optimus series (600MHz Qualcom MSM7627) and those are running Android 2.2. So I doubt the CPU is holding it back. If anything it might be RAM but FroYo is supposed to be more efficient so I doubt its the RAM.

I think no one as a rep knows. When I worked for Verizon, we barely got news about new products or prices a week before release. Hell even sometimes we got the info a month after. All we can truly do is wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmysmitty View Post
    Not going to be mean but Daniel might not be as savvy on tech as you might think. I used to work for Verizon Landline and they had Wireless in the same call center. Trust me when I say the people they hire know nothing beyond what VZ tells them.

That said, the reason I don't trust his reasoning is because its BS. The Ally has the same CPU as the LG Optimus series (600MHz Qualcom MSM7627) and those are running Android 2.2. So I doubt the CPU is holding it back. If anything it might be RAM but FroYo is supposed to be more efficient so I doubt its the RAM.

I think no one as a rep knows. When I worked for Verizon, we barely got news about new products or prices a week before release. Hell even sometimes we got the info a month after. All we can truly do is wait and see.

MAN do I ever hope he was wrong!! He seemed pretty certain that the slower speed of the Ally wouldn't allow it to run 2.2. If the CPU speed is the same then he must have been referring to the RAM.

Does anybody know if the specs on the Allys RAM could limit it's ability to run Froyo 2.2?? (forgive me, I am new to this "power user" thing)

I agree that the reps are basically morons. The first woman I talked to told me that the Ally was brand new and had just been released.

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links