LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

This is a discussion on LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade! within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; The keyboard on the ally is so good.all lg phones have a solid build.I wish we could have the best software as well....

Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: LG Ally will get Android 2.2 Upgrade!

The keyboard on the ally is so good.all lg phones have a solid build.I wish we could have the best software as well.

While I do agree (I'm a big fan of LG to begin with), FroYo is supposed to take care of the Bluetooth headset voice dialing. I live close enough to Chicago where it's illegal to be on the phone without a handsfree kit. Having to dig through my contact list to make a call while driving is as bad (or worse) than texting. That was an issue that should have been taken care of a long time ago.

February!

I feel like a traitor... I have owned the Ally since Day One in May... I have enjoyed it immensely , yet at the same time been very frustrated. In particular, I've patiently been waiting for FroYo to be pushed, as it has some features I really need, such as Bluetooth voice dialing. Last week I reached the conclusion that it just wasn't gonna happen (now I hear February) Much to her chagrin, I used the Better Half's upgrade and got myself the Droid 2. With upgrade, $249 with $100 rebate... If I sell the Ally on eBay I should be able to get close to $150, so it will be a "break even." (Not including She Who Must Be Obeyed's wrath!) After having the Droid 2 for a few days now, I have to say the 2 phones don't even compare... Maybe it's partly due to Froyo, but the Droid has been flawless, and I see now how many things I put up with... It doesn't overheat (using Navigator last summer it got so hot after 1-1/2 hours it shut down). Battery life in excess of 2 days (right now it's been powered up for 13 hours and still has 80%) No random shut downs... Bluetooth doesn't cut in and out... It doesn't take 20 minutes for the GPS to acquire a location - only to lose it later. I like the Ally's keyboard and the way it's spring loaded, yet the Droid 2's just seems to have a better layout and bigger keys. Common symbols such as period, at, comma, and forward slash have dedicated keys. Just seems to make more sense and is less typo prone.

Anyway, after using the Droid, the Ally seems to be half baked and rushed to market before the bugs were worked out. Then LG doesn't really acknowledge the problems and won't issue the upgrade that will fix a lot of them. Instead, they choose to focus on selling new product and fogetting about the established base, since we're locked in for two years. I've been a loyal LG customer for the past 7 or 8 years, maybe more - my last phone was a Voyager, which I thought was incredible at the time. But not anymore... Their refusal to support the Ally does it for me... Motorola had FroYo out for some of their existing phones before introducing the Droid X . I fully expect to have Gingerbread before the Ally has Froyo!

Well, "rant off..." I just wanted to let LG know they lost a good customer!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I feel like a traitor... I have owned the Ally since Day One in May... I have enjoyed it immensely , yet at the same time been very frustrated. In particular, I've patiently been waiting for FroYo to be pushed, as it has some features I really need, such as Bluetooth voice dialing. Last week I reached the conclusion that it just wasn't gonna happen (now I hear February) Much to her chagrin, I used the Better Half's upgrade and got myself the Droid 2. With upgrade, 9 with 0 rebate... If I sell the Ally on eBay I should be able to get close to 0, so it will be a "break even." (Not including She Who Must Be Obeyed's wrath!) After having the Droid 2 for a few days now, I have to say the 2 phones don't even compare... Maybe it's partly due to Froyo, but the Droid has been flawless, and I see now how many things I put up with... It doesn't overheat (using Navigator last summer it got so hot after 1-1/2 hours it shut down). Battery life in excess of 2 days (right now it's been powered up for 13 hours and still has 80%) No random shut downs... Bluetooth doesn't cut in and out... It doesn't take 20 minutes for the GPS to acquire a location - only to lose it later. I like the Ally's keyboard and the way it's spring loaded, yet the Droid 2's just seems to have a better layout and bigger keys. Common symbols such as period, at, comma, and forward slash have dedicated keys. Just seems to make more sense and is less typo prone.

Anyway, after using the Droid, the Ally seems to be half baked and rushed to market before the bugs were worked out. Then LG doesn't really acknowledge the problems and won't issue the upgrade that will fix a lot of them. Instead, they choose to focus on selling new product and fogetting about the established base, since we're locked in for two years. I've been a loyal LG customer for the past 7 or 8 years, maybe more - my last phone was a Voyager, which I thought was incredible at the time. But not anymore... Their refusal to support the Ally does it for me... Motorola had FroYo out for some of their existing phones before introducing the Droid X . I fully expect to have Gingerbread before the Ally has Froyo!

Well, "rant off..." I just wanted to let LG know they lost a good customer!

I can say I haven't had the majority of those problems. I just might be lucky. I do a charge every other day. I think the Droid 2 having FroYo gives a better battery life so its harder to compare.

One thing though, as I said before, Motorola did have FroYo out early but as well they had some major problems with the release on the original Droid. Some were bricked, some were overheating and others had major battery issues. I prefer them to work issues out first before they release it.

I can't compare the keyboard. The Droid 2 is really a lot bigger than the Ally. That's a downside to some people. I like the Ally's size. But I do hope you enjoy your Droid 2.

"One thing though, as I said before, Motorola did have FroYo out early but as well they had some major problems with the release on the original Droid. Some were bricked, some were overheating and others had major battery issues. I prefer them to work issues out first before they release it."

Yes... As I said, I think the Ally was released before it was ready for "prime time..." The Droid is 2nd generation - most of tthe bugs have been worked out. Lesson learned: Don't buy the first release! And at least Motorola did an early release of FroYo to correct those problems...

"I can't compare the keyboard. The Droid 2 is really a lot bigger than the Ally. That's a downside to some people. I like the Ally's size. But I do hope you enjoy your Droid 2"

Actually, they're almost identical in size.... Length is the same, Droid 2 is maybe 1/16 inch wider, give or take a little, but the Droid 2 is 1/32 inch thinner (Disclaimer: dimensions not measured, just "eyeballed")

The ally has a hard keyboard....which I have to have.if you don't have a big touch scrfeen phone then its too slow.battery killler.I also like the allys size.if the ally 2nd gen comes out in the summerr I'm gonna get an iphone.we better have the full version of froyo

Quote Originally Posted by J0Y View Post
    The ally has a hard keyboard....which I have to have.if you don't have a big touch scrfeen phone then its too slow.battery killler.I also like the allys size.if the ally 2nd gen comes out in the summerr I'm gonna get an iphone.we better have the full version of froyo

So... If you must have a physical keyboard why on earth would you get an iPhone? In addition to the Droid 2, there are other alternatives that do have physical keyboards. Besides, when the battery in an iPhone is dead, it's dead - it can't be swapped with a fresh one.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    So... If you must have a physical keyboard why on earth would you get an iPhone? In addition to the Droid 2, there are other alternatives that do have physical keyboards. Besides, when the battery in an iPhone is dead, it's dead - it can't be swapped with a fresh one.

Thats true. Then again why would you want to go to a controlled, closed phone anyways? The iPhone is for sheep really. As are pretty much all Apple products. They tell you what you can or cannot do and thats it. Android and even WP7 are for people who want a bit more choice.

And the keyboard is what gives the Ally a +1 over most Android based phones, plus I have had great luck with LG in the past.

I was browsing Verizons site to see what they have and it was a tad odd. I found that as of November 18th, LG had a new phone called the Vortex. Strangley I hadn't seen it before and I check VZW often when bored. Its pretty much a Ally without the keyboard, no flash and a lower screen res. Oh and a smaller pre-installed SD card.

BUT, and here is the kicker, it comes with FroYo. Same CPU and even though I can't find it I am sure it has the same ROM/RAM as the Ally as its a lower grade phone.

I think I am just stunned that LG would push a similar specced phone out with FroYo while leaving the Ally waiting.

I guess it doesn't mean all the bugs are out though. Maybe the Vortex will just be a testing phone. They will find all the bugs and the Ally will get FroYo near bug free.....

They both have the same ROM/RAM.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links