Google Voice

This is a discussion on Google Voice within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Question for anyone who uses the Google Voice app...what is the benefit of having it besides being able to link up multiple phone number to ...

Thread: Google Voice

Question for anyone who uses the Google Voice app...what is the benefit of having it besides being able to link up multiple phone number to one single number? I believe Google Voice has free text messaging but it does not support SMS at this time so that's a show stopper for me. Also, it would be nice if I could make calls from my cell phone using my GV number and not use my Verizon minutes but until GV starts using VOIP, I don't think that will happen.

Any ideas or comments on the benefits of having Google Voice and the the GV app? I would just like to hear others opinions.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

-SMS works just fine in the GV app. MMS works fine forwarding to your VZW cell number.

-You can get free calls by adding your own GV number to your VZW 'Friends and Family'/Circle and using the GV web app to dial your calls (GV calls you from your own GV number after you tell it who to connect to, so the call shows up on your bill as being from your own number, which you placed in your circle. GV logs all incoming, missed, and placed calls, too.

-The GV app treats your voicemails like an email inbox, complete with text transcriptions. You can setup your VZW number to go to GV's voicemail as well.

These are the key features that have me lovin' some Google Voice.

Google is changing the way dialing numbers works. Here is one thread in the Google forums (one example at least):

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...b8eebc0a&hl=en

Looks like their planning (or already have begun) to implement a different access number for each person you call, rather then just the one number system. A poster has an app and workaround posted that "appears" to work, but I don't use this feature so can't verify.

Probably a good idea to head over to the Google forums and keep up on the latest info on what they're doing with Google Voice.

Quote Originally Posted by greenless View Post
    -SMS works just fine in the GV app. MMS works fine forwarding to your VZW cell number.

-You can get free calls by adding your own GV number to your VZW 'Friends and Family'/Circle and using the GV web app to dial your calls (GV calls you from your own GV number after you tell it who to connect to, so the call shows up on your bill as being from your own number, which you placed in your circle. GV logs all incoming, missed, and placed calls, too.

-The GV app treats your voicemails like an email inbox, complete with text transcriptions. You can setup your VZW number to go to GV's voicemail as well.

These are the key features that have me lovin' some Google Voice.

greenless....thanks for the tips!

- I actually meant to say MMS in my original post but I'm curious, how do you have the MMS forward to your VZW cell number? Is that done automatically in some way?

- Unfortunately, I don't have the VZW Friends and Family plan But, that is a good way of making the calls work through GV instead of VZW! I guess this is not a total show-stopper for me since I rarely get close to my monthly limit of minutes. I just thought it would be nice to use my GV number solely and have my friends use it. If they had VOIP or if I had the Friends and Family, I would do that since it wouldn't matter that it's not Verizon-to-Verizon.

- How do you set up your VZW number to go to GV voicemail? That would be nice!

Thanks for the input and help!!

I am in no way technical. My daughter is in Australia and the salesman told me I could call her for next to nothing using google voice. It was very confusing to me. Can anyone show me a link to a "Google Voice for Dummies"?

Quote Originally Posted by timycat View Post
    I am in no way technical. My daughter is in Australia and the salesman told me I could call her for next to nothing using google voice. It was very confusing to me. Can anyone show me a link to a "Google Voice for Dummies"?

How about a link for Google Voice For Newbies?
    Motorola Droid 4

Great link, AA. One quick question, though: What, if any, are the advantages of GV over Verizon's Visual Voicemail for calling up voicemail messages?

Quote Originally Posted by John23ally View Post
    Great link, AA. One quick question, though: What, if any, are the advantages of GV over Verizon's Visual Voicemail for calling up voicemail messages?

The biggest advantage is the GV VVM is free whereas Verizon's is not. Not sure about Verizon's but GV VVM is transcribed for you. Most of the time it's not very good but it is funny to read!

I pay $2.99 a month for Verizons Voice Mail. Google Voice is free.
    Motorola Droid 4

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links