To peel or not to peel

This is a discussion on To peel or not to peel within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Varg, did you put a screen cover on when you got the phone? If so, then you may just be seeing a scratch on the ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: To peel or not to peel

Varg, did you put a screen cover on when you got the phone? If so, then you may just be seeing a scratch on the original screen cover.

I do have miniscule crack on my screen, but considering what happened to it, it should be shattered. I was walking and swinging my arms and my daughter was walking next to me with a magnalite flashlight. Our arm collided and the magnalite smashed into my screen with a VERY LOUD smack. I cringed and and dreaded looking at the screen. When I lisfted the phone to look at it, to my surprise, nothing obvious had happened to it. I fully expected to see it shattered. Later that night, I was looking very closely at it and saw a tiny mark on the glass. You can only see scratch/crack if you hold it at just the right angle in the light when it is off and it has zero effect when the phone is on. The is a solid phone.

After reading this last night I decided to peel the original screen protector off and then remembered the pack off protectors I got when I bought the phone back in June so I figured I would use them up before I go completely bare. The original worked good for 6 months but had some specs and made the back and search sluggish but I really like how the verizon covers dont cover the back and search buttons. May just be because the original was so old but it sure seems more responsive with the new one...guess I'll see how they hold up compared to the original.

Ok, so I can finally testify that the gorilla glass thing is for real. I dropped my phone today. Twice. Onto very hard concrete. The two metal bars, the black surrounds, the LED indicator light and my headphone port are all torn to shreds. But that glass? Not a scratch. And one of the times I dropped it, the phone fell flat on that glass.

Oh well, everything on the phone looks like hell now except the glass. Oh, and the phone still works fine. I just hate having crappy looking electronics...

I've had my ally for about 3 months and I took the factory installed protector off the first week. I bought the screen protector and just like u said couldn't get it on smoothly so I trashed it. I have been running "naked" and the screen hasn't suffered at all. I carry it in my pocket daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    I was researching this and came across this information:

The LG Ally uses Gorilla Glass by Corning. Is Gorilla Glass In My Device?

Gorilla Glass Characteristics

Gorilla glass was originally called Chemcor glass and was invented in 1961. Although there was a lot of interest in the product, it was never used for more than a few few commercial and industrial products, mostly pharmaceutical. They even tried to use it for windshields in automobiles but [b]it was too strong for the windshield. In 2006, Corning decided to start looking for an opportunity to make glass for cell phones and other touch products and they choose Chemcor as their starting point. By 2007, they had refined the process and renamed it to Gorilla Glass.

What I don't know is if the Gorilla glass is the actual screen of the LG Ally or if it is the protective cover.

whoa! this is the glass not the protective cover (they make the glass not the covers) this would def explain how after having my Ally since May 2010 with no protective cover on the screen, there isn't ONE scratch on it and I am rough with my phone lol

Yeah, we kind of figured that out awhile ago. Although not all LG Ally's came with the Gorilla Glass. Some got cheaper glass and they shatter quite easily.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Yeah, we kind of figured that out awhile ago. Although not all LG Ally's came with the Gorilla Glass. Some got cheaper glass and they shatter quite easily.

Is there a way to tell this? I have a small scuff on the upper left nect to the Verizon logo but not on the screen itself. I had a old Pentium 2 that came in the cartridge on the top of my desk and it fell down on my Allys screen. Its a metal cartridge too. But still its not on the screen but the upper part.

There is no way that I am aware of other than "time". If you have not had a screen protector on the phone, dropped metal objects on it or stuck it in a pocket with keys and it comes away without a scratch day after day, you are pretty much in good shape. In the cases where the glass has shattered, it is something small like dropping the phone on the sidewalk. I have had the screen protector off my phone for over 6 months and more than once my Beagle has taken off with it in her mouth. I do have 1 very small scratch in the upper left corner but it can only be seen if you hold the phone under a light and tilt it a bit.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
    Zagg's Invisible Shield screen protectors are the best protection available - period.

I have then om my PDAs, phones, camera screens, iPod touch, my wife's netbook - they are simply the best protection available.

Next would be the fine products from NuShield.

Neither Zagg nor NuShield are "bargain basement" as far as pricing goes. But I just scratched a Zagg screen protector - and it is covered with their LIFETIME warranty. A replacement is already being sent to me.

Clint Bradford

909-241-7666

When I got my first LG Ally, I had a Zagg screen protector put on. I exchanged that LG Ally for another one because my back and search touch buttons weren't working. Had a Zagg put on the new one same problem. With the third Ally, I peeled the screen protector off and found that my back and search buttons now work. Also, it's been off for about three months now and no scratches. Great glass.

UGH! My phone was dropped by someone who I should not have asked to take a picture. My screen is shattered but my phone remains functional. It was the depth and the angle that shattered the glass. I am still loyal to Gorilla Glass. I feel like the casing shifted on impact as opposed to the glass outright braking.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links