To peel or not to peel

This is a discussion on To peel or not to peel within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I've had my Ally for about a week, and haven't yet had the heart to pull off the factory-installed plastic screen protector. I know, I ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To peel or not to peel

I've had my Ally for about a week, and haven't yet had the heart to pull off the factory-installed plastic screen protector. I know, I can always buy the packages of plastic sheets and cut my own, but I've never been able to get one of those to lay down without at least a few bubbles, which is annoying. Plus, I really want to use the screen and see the screen with nothing between me and it. On the other hand, I don't want to scratch the screen.

So what are some thoughts? How durable is the tempered-glass Ally screen? My phone lives in my pocket or on my desk or a table -- no holster, no protective case. I do not put it in the same pocket with keys or other "sharp" objects. And I've been known to drop phones, but that's a risk I'm willing to live with. I just don't want to peel that plastic sheet off today, and then tomorrow have a mysterious, ugly scratch down the middle of the screen that I have to live with for the next year or so...

Thanks for y'all's input!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    The factory screen protector is very durable and I would say leave it on, at least for the time being. It'll probably start to peel on its own eventually. Mine lasted for a very long time, until one day I was in a hurry and my phone went into the same pocket as a digital camera I was carrying, and then it did get a gouge in it and started to peel.

So far I haven't bothered to replace it with anything and the screen is holding up fine. I'm careful as well that I never pocket it along with my keys or anything like that. If you're careful you should be fine. But it's also a terrible feeling when the day comes when you do find a scratch on your screen, so you might want to consider that.

As far as wanting to "see the screen with nothing in the way"... the screen doesn't look any better or perform any differently just because you remove the 1mm sheet of plastic. Now, when it comes to those screen protectors that have the "mirror" type finish, THOSE make a difference. When I bought my LG Dare used, the person had a mirror protector on it, and when I finally took it off, the screen looked a hundred times better. You aren't going to notice a difference with a thin/clear protector though. So I wouldn't let that be my reason for peeling it off.

Let the situation resolve itself, I would leave the film onto until the inevitable day that you'll find a tear or a bubble, and at that point, it'll make sense to take it off. Until then, I would leave it.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Great info -- thanks!

I was researching this and came across this information:

The LG Ally uses Gorilla Glass by Corning. Is Gorilla Glass In My Device?

Gorilla Glass Characteristics

Gorilla glass was originally called Chemcor glass and was invented in 1961. Although there was a lot of interest in the product, it was never used for more than a few few commercial and industrial products, mostly pharmaceutical. They even tried to use it for windshields in automobiles but it was too strong for the windshield. In 2006, Corning decided to start looking for an opportunity to make glass for cell phones and other touch products and they choose Chemcor as their starting point. By 2007, they had refined the process and renamed it to Gorilla Glass.

What I don't know is if the Gorilla glass is the actual screen of the LG Ally or if it is the protective cover.

Motorola Droid 4

excellent links -- thanks! I wonder if LG sprung for the optional wear-resistant coating as mentioned in the last graph on the second link. thanks for the info!

Good work guys, I think that answered John's question AA, the glass is a protective cover.

Here's a interesting thread concerning this.... http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/30...een-protector/

I tried Verizon's screen protectors already and was not really happy with them. Also tried the protector that came with the Otterbox case I purchased - same impression on me. The Otterbox protector covered the entire screen including the capacative touch buttons (search and back) and I found them just not usable at all. Sensitivity being the main downside of everything I've tried.

I have been protector free for about two weeks now and the screen is doing well. I keep it clean with a microfiber cloth and it's in and out of my pocket quite a few times each day. Haven't seen any scratched pop-up or anything else. How will I fare after a couple years? I used Boxwave's ClearTouch Anti-Glare protectors on my Dare, but they aren't offering protectors for the Ally yet. Loved their protectors on my Dare, so I may give them a shot if they release one.

Cool link AA! I find the Ally glass to be really easy to clean, so I'd guess the coating is on it?! If so, good choices on LG's part. I've been pleased with their quality since I purchased my Dare anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    As far as wanting to "see the screen with nothing in the way"... the screen doesn't look any better or perform any differently just because you remove the 1mm sheet of plastic.

BMB, I appreciate your thoughts, but after reading about Gorilla Glass -- well, who could blame me for not peeling away?!? And I have to say, peeling away the 1mm of plastic did make a good bit of difference to me -- the glass has a slicker finish, which changed the way it feels to slide screens, etc. Also, the glass is glossier, and just overall looks a tiny bit sharper and brighter without the protective plastic.

Thanks all for your responses. I'm very happy I found this forum, and I want to say that I've been more pleased with my Ally after picking up several tips and tweaks through y'all!

I found out about the Gorilla Glass while reading an article that said they were going to start using it for LCD TVs in 2011.

Youtube - Gorilla Glass Video
    Motorola Droid 4

Zagg's Invisible Shield screen protectors are the best protection available - period.

I have then om my PDAs, phones, camera screens, iPod touch, my wife's netbook - they are simply the best protection available.

Next would be the fine products from NuShield.

Neither Zagg nor NuShield are "bargain basement" as far as pricing goes. But I just scratched a Zagg screen protector - and it is covered with their LIFETIME warranty. A replacement is already being sent to me.

Clint Bradford

909-241-7666

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links