Battery Life Resolved

This is a discussion on Battery Life Resolved within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Still so far so good with the battery life. It's been about a week since I switched phones at the store....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Life Resolved

Still so far so good with the battery life. It's been about a week since I switched phones at the store.

I spent about an hour and a half last night over the course of two phone calls with Verizon tech support. We covered a couple of issues, including this one.

The tech I spoke with had not heard of the 50 percent bug, but he did find other reports in the tech-support database. He wanted to confirm the problem on an Ally there; however, there were none "in the lab" for him to borrow at the time I called. He called me back about an hour after our initial conversation; he had gotten an Ally from the lab and had also talked about the 50 percent bug with other tech-support people in other groups.

First of all, the Ally he borrowed from the lab indicated it was searching for signal 51 percent of the time, despite being used only in a building that has continuous cell service. The tech-support guy was almost amused by the obvious irony. But before he even checked for the bug on his lab unit, he had already gathered a general consensus among his contacts that the 50 percent bug is an error in mathematics only -- in other words, it's a miscalculation by the phone, not a true reflection of how the phone is actually operating. He said there's no indication that battery usage is effected, but that rather the number is just meaningless, a miscalculation. I guess it's like if you punched 2+2 into a crappy calculator, and the answer came up 51.

He also said his database indicated the problem had been reported, but never verified. He verified the problem, which, he said, means a report will be going back to LG, in addition to it being on record with Verizon as being a "verified problem," instead of (although he didn't say this) operator error.

The good news is that, at least as far as Verizon tech support is concerned, this bug has no actual impact on battery usage.

ian
    Sounds like you got a good tech support guy to talk to last night.

I have come to the same conclusion that there is a math bug also (did not rule out a real problem though) because the time on for cell standby was double the time reported since I had unplugged the phone.

I agree with that. though Ive noticed the ally does have signal issues i never truly lose signal. And it says im like between 50-80% with out a signal. and my battery lasts me between 15-28 hours. Depending on my personal usage. On days I just text I can get over 24 hours on days I talk on the phone if im not using the entire battery on 1 call I can get between 15-20 hours. I think people are just expecting to much. Its a smart phone it uses way more power and im sure people have a lot more stuff running then me I keep everything off untill I use it lol. also since ive switched to LG home everything has ran sooo smoothly.

Bry

I'm not sure what to think anymore. I unhooked the charger about an hour ago & I'm already down to 74% battery power left (hooked to charger for 6 hours & when I unhooked it was 100%). Right now the cell phone usage is @53% & the time w/o a signal is 99%. Earlier it was 54% & 100% w/o a signal. Last night I did the *#*#4636#*#* & it never seemed to do anything. I keep checking it to make sure it didn't change back to the org & it hasn't. This morning I did another possible fix that I just heard about (*228 opt 2). I had no problem with the call & it said it did it succesfully. Believe it or not but after it rebooted, I checked & it was down to 34% & 85% w/o a signal & my signal went from 1 bar to 3...amazing! However, I stayed in the same place & checked it a few minutes later & it went back up to 54% & 99% w/o signal. Weird!

All I did this morning was check the radar (raining here), check battery usage, looked @ the manual I had saved to my phone yesterday quick, did the *228 thing & now I'm on here. In all honesty why would my battery drain so fast just from that unless the no signal thing effected the battery? Also, just in case, I did take my case off but it has made no difference. My battery is now down to 70%. Not looking great.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have no kind of task killer but I've turned off google talk (never use it), sync device, and I honestly don't have that many apps yet . I just got this phone a few days ago. I've let it die twice on me & then plugged it in & left it alone until the next day. It always fully charged with ni problem. I also dimmed the screen as well. Now it is down to 65%.

I do have a question about airplane mode. I've read on here & other sites as well that we should use it when we're trying to conserve battery. However, from what I've read that disconnects you from phone svc. Why would you want to do that?

i use the airplane mode when i'm not using the phone say at work or at night when i go to sleep.

i've had my phone for about two weeks now and have noticed battery life improving with regualr usage.

maybe it's the app killer i'm running, maybe it's the services i've stopped running, maybe it's the apps i never used that i've uninstalled.

whatever the case all i can say is moniter your usage; try to figure what could be casing the battery to drain quicker (apps, services running in the backround, gps/wifi enabled) and just be patient let the phone "break in" and hopefully battery life will improve.
    "STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Thanks for your input here folks.

Glockman, we understand your frustration. I know you've probably read it already, but just a reminder http://www.lgallyfor...3-battery-help/

Also, don't forget LG has an extended life battery ( 2200mAh ) available for the Ally. I know, kinda pricey, but a big difference.

loveally, what are you doing at other sites? ...........just teasin!

You're right, airplane mode disconnects the phone from the Verizon network. Will it help conserve the battery? Yes, because you aren't using any network or online services.

Why would you disconnect from the network? Because you can do other stuff in the meantime. Like play most games..adjust your alarms..set-up reminders....make notes...etc. Think of it as using a computer that's not online at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links