Battery Life Resolved

This is a discussion on Battery Life Resolved within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I got tired of my battery draining on my new Ally. I did the research and followed the advice here in the forums about how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life Resolved

I got tired of my battery draining on my new Ally. I did the research and followed the advice here in the forums about how to maybe, resolve the fast drain of my battery.

I took the phone into the Verizon store and told the Rep that the "cell standby" was over 50% and was draining my battery - FAST. He then proceeded to tell me that "you want, the cell standby over 50% or else you phone won't work properly". I looked at him and said "no, you don't know what you're talking about." Which he didn't .

Well, to make a long story short, we switched out phones. He gave me a new phone. I got the new phone home and charged it. I checked out the cell standby percentage and it was down below 10%.

My phone stayed charged all day and that was on a new battery that hadn't been broken in yet.

So, moral of the story, the bug is in the phone and not all the phones have the nasty little critter. If you can take the phone back to a store, not send it back if you ordered it online, take it back and make them switch the phone out.

If you have called tech support, they log all the phone calls you've made and the stores will see that you've been having a problem and shouldn't give you a hard time wanting to switch the phones.

Verizon's usually pretty good about taking care of their customers.

I'm happy, happy, happy my phone's charge is where it should be and is as advertised! Wooo Hooo!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

That's great news! I would be curious to see if it still works okay after a week or so of use. Please, post back in about a week to give us an update. Glad to hear it's working for you though!

I've had my Ally for less than a week, how long should the battery break-in period take?

Below are my battery levels, are these normal:

Cell Standby - 74%

Phone Idle - 21%

Display - 6%
    "STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    The cell standby number alone isn't enough, you want to actually click on it so you can see the "time without signal" percentage. If you have a huge time without signal, something is wrong.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    The cell standby number alone isn't enough, you want to actually click on it so you can see the "time without signal" percentage. If you have a huge time without signal, something is wrong.

I'm at 59%.
    "STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post

The 'Time Without Signal' is definitely the important part, as all phones will have the Cell Standby. I'm sitting at 26% on my Inc, out of 22hrs uptime (I have charged the battery in there, no way I'd get 22hrs on a normal charge without some aggressive battery management). I don't think I've ever had any time without signal on this phone, but it ran 50+ percent on the Ally the entire time I had it. If it's over 50%, then you phone has the '50% bug'. Toggling into Airplane mode for a few minutes, then out of airplane mode usually fixes the problem, but only until the next reboot. Being in a poor coverage area will also do the same thing. I put a femtocell (network extender) in at home to cover the voice side of the service, and use my wireless to cover the data-side on my phone, and it has helped massively, instead of running a battery down in a few hours due to the extremely poor signal there, I can go all day without any problems.

The main thing to remember, Android phones are definitely battery hogs, anybody who tells you differently just isn't utilizing their phone to the fullest (email push, facebook & twitter sync all day, browsing, nav, etc). If you routinely travel in poor signal areas, definitely do yourself a favor and pick up an additional battery you can swap in and out, and keep them charged (I have 3 batteries, but only carry one extra). I cycle through mine either whenever I need them, or every 2 or 3 days even if I don't, to keep them near the same usage-levels. I also use an external charger to charge the batteries, as they tend to get a better charge than when in the phone (but that may be just a Inc/HTC problem, as I don't remember having to bump-charge the Ally to get a full charge, I actually don't think it'd be possible on the Ally, since it won't turn off when charging).

I tried all the remedies suggested here, but none have seemed to work yet. When I preform the Airplane Mode method, Cell Standby and Time Searching for signal go down, but only for a day. The most frustrating part is that I've had Verizon for 8 years now. I've always received excellent coverage no matter where I go. Prior to my Ally I had a Samsung Rogue for over a year. My phone would last a day and a half, sometimes two full days with heavy usage. I just don't see how this phone can be searching for cell coverage half the time. I live in Tampa, Fl. We don't exactly have a shortage of cell towers.

I'm extremely irritated with this battery drain.

I just checked my phone; my cell standby is at 62 percent and the time searching is at 50 percent -- I guess I've got the bug. However, I really haven't felt let down by the overall battery life, especially in the past few days. I've only had my Ally about two weeks, and the first week was bad. But I've started managing my phone (the power control widget is very handy for this) and in the last couple of days have been very pleased with battery life. It's hard for me to quantify, but I use my phone heavily daily, to keep up with Facebook, texting, web browsing, and of course the occasional phone call. I'm in my car a lot, and it's easy for me to charge the phone on an almost-continuous basis, but for the past two days I've made an effort not to charge the phone and see how it acts. Running Bluetooth and wifi only as needed (which really isn't much), and charging while navigating, I've found that I still come home at night with better than 50 percent of my battery life left.

Overall, I have to agree with Heffe. To put it another way, the more you can do on your phone, odds are the more you are going to do, and that means the more battery you're going to use. Android lets me do A LOT, so I expect my phone will spend a good bit of time on charge, and I can work with that.

It was helpful to note somewhere else in this forum that the phone does not seem to charge as quickly from a computer as it does from a wall charger or my car charger. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case for me. Now I depend less on recharging from my computer at work.

Reason it charges quicker when in a wall or car charger is because those chargers are stronger than the usb port on your computer

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Droid users who updated to Froyo say the 50% bug is gone, so hopefully when we get 2.2 for the Ally this problem will be left in the past as well.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links