Phone just die?

This is a discussion on Phone just die? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Hi members! After reading some of the postings I became curious about something. Really none of my business,....but why did you get an Ally? Did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone just die?

Hi members! After reading some of the postings I became curious about something.

Really none of my business,....but why did you get an Ally? Did your old phone stop working, get broken or did you just want to upgrade to a new phone?

I have a feeling that some folks have 2 or 3 phones that work fine, they just don't use them anymore.

Some members have mentioned that they wanted a smartphone....Is that why you got yours?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I had two smartphones that ran Windows. Both quit working before the 2 year contract was up. I switched to the LG Touch because I was fed up with the smartphones that I had used. When they came out with the LG Ally, I just had to give it a try. The LG Touch still works but it had a lousy browser and no apps.
    Motorola Droid 4

My 2-year upgrade was up just as my crappy Samsung flip-phone crapped out. I've wanted a smartphone but didn't want to pay a lot-- Nothing beats free! Good to know what I've been missing.

For those with old, working cell phones, please consider donating them to programs like Cell Phones for Soldiers, or locally you might donate old phones to programs that help people looking for work, or women who are trying to leave their battering husbands. Just to put it out there.

Qasar, your last paragraph is a very good idea. I'm aware of that program for our soldiers and it slipped my mind. Thanks my friend.

A little off topic, but thanks for your service to any member or reader of this site who is a Veteran or currently active.

Ladies and gentlemen, take the time to thank these folks. It means as much to them now, as it did 200 years ago.

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    I got my Ally because I wanted to have a physical keyboard again. Previously I had owned an LG env2 which was great for texting, and then an LG Dare, which had no actual keyboard. I was starting to consider getting an env3 or an env Touch but that's when I heard about the Ally coming out, so I waited. The keyboard on the Motorola Droid sounded less than spectacular in reviews, and I had owned a couple Motorola phones in the past but I really liked everything from LG that I ever owned, so I wanted to stick with them.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    For those with old, working cell phones, please consider donating them to programs like Cell Phones for Soldiers, or locally you might donate old phones to programs that help people looking for work, or women who are trying to leave their battering husbands. Just to put it out there.

Very good point, Qasar. And not to take anything away from our soldiers, to expand a little bit on the end of your comment, shelters for battered women and families desperately need phones for the victims they help. Generally speaking, your local United Way can help you donate old cell phones to these shelters.

In answer to the original query, I am really a phone nerd. I don't think anything has changed our lives more since the invention of the automobile. However, I'm also cheap, and I don't want to spend $200, $300 for a cell phone unless it can drive me to work in the morning!

I moved up from basic flip phone (my last one was a Samsung; don't ask me the model, but I loved it), to a querty phone (the Samsung Alias 1; a great little phone) and then finally to the enV Touch, which I purchased about a month before the Android platform hit the streets. About seven months into my 2-year contract, the company I work for assigned me an HTC Eris, which was, for me, a TERRIBLE phone, but it did introduce me to the Android platform, and that got me hooked.

When I learned that, one year into my contract I could upgrade and pay promotional pricing, I started looking into Droid phones. That's about the same time Verizon started offering the Ally online for $50. So I started researching the Ally, and then was able to demo a couple of Droid-based phones (the Incredible and the Ally) through a friend who works for Verizon. The Incredible is quite a phone, don't get me wrong, but I missed the physical keyboard, and had I purchased it, I also would have missed the extra $150! And while the Ally's 600 mHz processor does sputter and stall from time to time, I am still quite pleased with the Ally.

I would guess that in another year, however, I'll probably be in the market for a phone with more onboard memory and a faster processor. Then I'll probably donate the Ally, or hand it down to my teen-age daughter. :-)

My two-year contract had been up for a while and I was buying my time trying to find a phone I liked. My contract ended about the same time Verizon decided to make all decent phones require at least a $9.99 data plan which really ticked me off. The phones that didn't require the data plan were less than satisfactory and not as good as my current phone (at the time). So, I waited a long time to get a new phone. I had an LG Voyager and an LG Envy before that. My wife has an LG Dare and an LG Venus. I really like the LG brand and have been very satisfied with them. When I saw that LG had an Android phone on the market with Verizon and it was gonna be free for me, I started figuring out all the expenses I could cut back to make up for the $29.99 data plan required for the Ally. Then I started bugging my wife about getting it and she finally gave in...hehehe. Needless-to-say, I have been very satisfied with my first smartphone and can't wait to get Froyo on it!

Vol4one, I balked at going smartphone when I purchased my enV Touch because I didn't want to pay for the $30 data plan, but I felt I could live with the $10 data plan required for the messaging phones. That was a year ago, Two weeks ago, when I purchased my Ally, Verizon was running a "special" on the data plan; I believe it was $23.99/mo. instead of $30. Plus, when I upgraded, I dropped the $10/mo. expense of VZ Navigator, which was replaced by Google Navigation. They also reevaluated my plan, and in the end, I'm now paying $6 a month less than I was before I upgraded!

That's not the first time with Verizon that I've upgraded -- either a service plan or hardware -- and actually wound up paying less. And that's one of the main reasons I've never left Verizon for another carrier, period.

Thanks for your comments! I have spent time at other phone sites where every other member complains about what an evil money grabbing place Verizon is,(while talking on their Verizon phone) and never understood why so many people seem to hate Verizon.

Verizon tells you how much everything cost,...you choose your phone, your calling plan, data plan and accessories if any.

They always work with you if your device isn't working right, either exchanging it or upgrading you to a different phone and any billing problem I've had with them was resolved with one phone call. I've never had to wait more than 3 or 4 minutes to talk to someone, try calling HP cust ser,....or Symantics.... or any other large business,....15+ minutes on hold.

I guess some folks have issues with Verizon, but I'm glad we don't get much Verizon bashing at this site. They've always treated me well.

I have had 5 LG phones now, and each one has worked great. None of them broke, or quit working. Sure, there's other great phones out there, but I stick with LG. I just upgraded to a new phone 'cause I wanted to. I had to check out the new LG Android!

And now, I'm taking 2 LG phones I'm not using and following Qasar and John's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    And now, I'm taking 2 LG phones I'm not using and following Qasar and John's advice.

That's awesome, Minty! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links