Ally for kids?

This is a discussion on Ally for kids? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Hi all, not much help here, but give us your opinion if you have a minute. At what age should you give your kids a ...

Thread: Ally for kids?

Hi all, not much help here, but give us your opinion if you have a minute.

At what age should you give your kids a phone?

Should it be a smartphone, or a multimedia, or a simple phone for calling and texting?

If they damaged the phone, would you buy them another?

I think a lot of kids get mom or dads old phone. How do you feel about this issue?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I gave my fiancees kid a standard flip phone but if she was more into stuff and working id allow her whatever phone she wanted as its much cheaper than paying per mb of data... I guess I got lucky that she doesn't care about fancy phones

We gave my daughter her first phone when she was around 12, or five years ago. I think when you give a child his or her first phone should depend on the child. A live phone with its own number is a great responsibility for a child. When kids start having friendships beyond the neighborhood and when they prove they are responsible enough -- then they are ready.

I've seen a lot of LITTLE kids with cell phones -- hand-me-downs from mom and dad -- for the games only, or for music. The phones aren't active. I think that's probably a good way for little kids to start learning how to take care of "their" phones.

My daughter had her first flip phone for four years. She took very good care of it, but it was worn out and very obsolete. So when I upgraded to an enV Touch, I got her a new enV 2. When I got my Ally, I handed down the Touch to her and she loves it! When she's due for a new phone, she might get a new Ally (or other Droid) of her own!

A phone is a luxury and treat. They can get one when they get a job and pay for it.

It'll make them treat it better and themselves. Not only does it force them to be mature with it you have 0 liability to it.

Thanks for your opinions here. I thought this topic would draw several postings from the members. Perhaps I was wrong?.....

I saw a commercial for a phone company, showing receipt paper coming out of the phone as the kids texted. I'm not a parent, so I'm still getting an idea of how much kids text. It definitely depends on the kid, but if it were my kid, I'd make sure I was able to read all their texts and track all their calls before they got a phone. Whatever age that might be. Privacy schmivacy.

As a person who is just entering adulthood and leaving those kid years behind (in theory) I think it is absurd how young kids are getting phones. I've seen kids less than 10 with cell phones. While I agree in this day and age it is rather necessary to be able to keep tabs on kids, and a phone is an easy way to do so, I do not think that elementary school kids should need a phone. Parents should be keeping tabs on them, and when they are not with them, they are usually somewhere where there is a phone. I think middle school is when kids can start getting a phone to carry, but honestly it doesn't really need to be a smart phone or even really a multimedia. I texted for years on an ABC type phone..only when I went out on my own and had to pay for my cell phone bill was I able to get a 'cool phone'. Now that I do so, I allow myself to splurge on a phone that will be fun enough, but not too extravagent. Which is why I have the Ally not the X.

Just my two cents from a non-parent.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links