Trimming the fat

This is a discussion on Trimming the fat within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Long story aside, work's got me an Ally and I'm a person who doesn't need or want a phone. But I figure I might as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming the fat

Long story aside, work's got me an Ally and I'm a person who doesn't need or want a phone. But I figure I might as well try the thing out. I want to stream line it for my work.

What I've been reading is it comes pre loaded with fun stuff, I want to remove it. I'm not sure the best way to go with it. I will give in to keeping a weather feature as I can see that being handy (even more if I can check other area's weathers as well).

I know nothing of how these things work. But I have IT to help me along as well as the FAQs on this site.

I think a quick run down of what needs to go and stay as well as adding some programs is going to be simple, to the point and best to help and educate me.

Removing : Games, social networking apps, text messaging programs, wall papers, themes etc.

Keeping : Weather email use net use

Adding : finance related things (black berrys have a great bloomberg app) currency changing program, stock tickers

Would I be correct in thinking removing the fluff is going to not only speed the phone up but make it easier to navigate?

Will I have enough room to add the programs I want if any?

Any help on doing any of this will be great. Thanks for your time,

Respectfully,

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Bad news, you can't remove the pre-installed apps. Good news, you can load quite a few {I have 30+} before you start running out of memory. Once we get Android 2.2, you can save apps to the SD card.
    Motorola Droid 4

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    You can't remove most of it, and even the stuff you can remove, it's not going to speed up the phone much. Anything you don't use will just sit harmlessly in the "app drawer" and there's no need to really worry about it. If you don't use it, it won't affect you.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Give the pinned topics over in the apps forum a quick look,... http://www.lgallyforums.com/forum/8-...picfilter__all

I didn't see any financial apps reviewed, but I'm sure there are many available through the Android Market. ....ahh,...the android market... not on blackberries

You know the Android pitch,......"there's an app for that!". About 70,000 now.

I was thinking the same just a few of hours ago. The mentality is to 'strip it' and it will be more stable or faster. I ended up resetting and starting from scratch and it's fine. Overall it seems like a stable phone, but it certainly does not operate like a blackberry.

The 'app for that' pitch is so damn true.

Your work gave you an Ally?

Man, where do I sign up? My employer gives up crappy Nextels.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman39 View Post
    Your work gave you an Ally?

Man, where do I sign up? My employer gives up crappy Nextels.

You don't want to work here, trust me.

If getting fired wasn't going to also make me pay my signing bonus back I'd do my best to "earn a lay off" with gross misuse of company funds.

So, I can't take things off, is there a way to put them in this app drawer to keep me from mistakenly opening these programs?

I'm the first to admit tech baffles me but, it seems that throwing things out seems like a better idea then letting them sit in a drawer. I may be wrong about this. Even if it doesn't speed things up, less to worry about, go wrong or just be in the way am I correct? Is working this marketplace easy to do? Or will IT have to set this up for me?

The phone will show up weds-friday according to fed ex so until then I'm basically sitting on my hands living in fear of this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    So, I can't take things off, is there a way to put them in this app drawer to keep me from mistakenly opening these programs?

I'm the first to admit tech baffles me but, it seems that throwing things out seems like a better idea then letting them sit in a drawer. I may be wrong about this. Even if it doesn't speed things up, less to worry about, go wrong or just be in the way am I correct? Is working this marketplace easy to do? Or will IT have to set this up for me?

The phone will show up weds-friday according to fed ex so until then I'm basically sitting on my hands living in fear of this thing.

You CAN actually remove built-in apps, but doing so requires rooting the phone. Given the amount of power to change and/or ruin the phone root access gives you, this usually voids whatever warranty the phone has and would likely piss off your IT department, so I won't go further into this.

To get rid of a shortcut from the homescreen, all you have to do is tap and hold on the shortcut until the trash can appears, then drag it to the trashcan. Similarly, to add a shortcut or widget, tap and hold on empty space and follow the popup.

The market's easy to use - just search for whatever applications you need To browse the market on your PC, head to http://www.androlib.com - having the Barcode Scanner application on your phone is a good idea for this site, because if you find an app you like you can just scan its QR Code to open it on the phone.

The Ally is pretty user-friendly, IMHO - it should be nice for your needs once you have the apps you need.

None, there's an app in the market called LaunchPro. I installed the free version and I have a new love for my Ally. Not only can you "hide" the apps you don't want (next best thing to removing) but LaunchPro has really common sense customization options. Most important of all, it seems to make better use of the phones memory. I haven't had a lag or lock up since running it and I was getting really frusterated before because of those issues. I use the hell out of my ally:

Scan and email pdf files, create and edit word and excel docs with documents to go, print files with printshare, listen to audiobooks, internet radio and tv, satellite radio etc. since I'm a field tech. The phone handles the beating I give it and I've come to like it even more than the motorola droid (1) I had previously so I think it will probably do what you ask of it. Hope this is helpful info.

None has already moved on. He no longer has the Ally.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links