Operating phone with battery out

This is a discussion on Operating phone with battery out within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Ok, this may seem a little dumb, but I just reset my phone by taking the battery out, it was still plugged in, and then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operating phone with battery out

Ok, this may seem a little dumb, but I just reset my phone by taking the battery out, it was still plugged in, and then the phone turned itself back on without the battery in it.

Does anyone know if it would hurt to run the phone all day while I am at my desk, with the battery out, and just having it plugged in? I was thinking that it would be a good way of saving on battery life. Is there any danger to this?

Thanks,

Sammielexie

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Good question. Don't really know the answer to it. Might be something that LG Pro could answer.
    Motorola Droid 4

Well, I might give it a shot myself.

The answer is no, it will not hurt the phone. The only real reason the phone needs a battery is to make it portable.

Much like you could take the battery out of a laptop, or netbook, and it just runs on the power supplied by the AC adaptor.

I wouldn't think it would save battery life because (correct me if i'm wrong) the battery would still be getting a charge when using the phone while it's plugged in; right?
    "STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Quote Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post
    I wouldn't think it would save battery life because (correct me if i'm wrong) the battery would still be getting a charge when using the phone while it's plugged in; right?

OP stated that the battery was not in the phone.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    OP stated that the battery was not in the phone.

no i know.

i mean i don't think there would be any benefit as long as the phone is plugged in.

take the battery out while plugged in; saving battery life.

leave battery in while plugged in; saving battery life because it would still be getting a charge.
    "STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Ahh. good point.
    Motorola Droid 4

To expand on this, how hot does the phone run with or with out the battery?

Is there a way to measure it?

I've always removed the battery from my laptop when plugged in and see a large drop in temperature when doing so.

Is this something that could be done to keep the life span of the phone longer?

If the phone is plugged into the AC charger, it does not need the battery.

If the battery is installed, but only partly charged, it will charge while you use it, but at a very slow rate.

If the battery is fully charged, it will remain so, as the phone is being powered by the AC input.

By taking the battery out when fully charged, the phone will run on the charging current supplied by the AC charger. The battery will just sit there fully charged.

There's not really any benefit to taking the battery out in this instance. If the battery is fully charged, not in the phone, and you let it sit for a week, then put it back in the phone, it will accept a "top-off" charge for a short time, until the phones circuitry senses the batteries charge state, and reduces the current to a trickle.

I meant more along the lines that if I take the battery out when I plug it in in the morning at work, then no matter how much I use it (while it is plugged in) the battery will be at full charge when I leave. I have noticed that even with the battery charger plugged in, with the battery in, sometimes the battery does not stayed charged all the way up even plugged in, depending on what I am doing on the phone.

I also thought it would save on the life of the battery by the battery not being discharged and charged again so many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links