To kill or not to kill?

This is a discussion on To kill or not to kill? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I've just read two consecutive threads on here in which the correct fix started with "if you have an automatic task killer..." And I can't ...

Thread: To kill or not to kill?

I've just read two consecutive threads on here in which the correct fix started with "if you have an automatic task killer..." And I can't count the number of apps I've looked at that start their "sales pitch" with "if you're running an automatic task killer, blah, blah, blah..."

Which leads me to wonder if task killers are really all that valuable when you consider the time you spend managing them. On my first droid-based phone, an Eris, I installed one right off the bat, as soon as I learned such an animal existed (I think I caved to the herd mentality, but that's another subject). Well, the Eris darn-near bled battery life out the USB port. For entertainment, I used to sit there and watch the "percentage charged" drop. OK, that's not true -- it's an exaggeration. But you get my point.

With the Ally, I've just tried to use common sense. I turn off the wifi, bluetooth and GPS functions when I don't need them. LG provides a great little widget, Power Control, which makes it easy to manage these key features that seem to be very critical to battery life.

To guard my internal memory (until FroYo arrives), I'm pretty judicious about which apps I download. I've also lowered the number of text messages the phone saves (internally) from 200 per conversation to 75. If i want to protect one, I lock it. But I really don't need to be able to review our text conversation from last week!

It seems like task killers conflict (by design -- I mean, it's what they do, they manage) with too many apps and require a lot of attention. In essence, you have to manage the manager, which seems to me to be just another level of work. Plus, it's yet another app constantly running in the background, using throughput and draining resources.

So what do y'all think? Are task killers a panacea or a placebo?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You don't need a task killer in Android, the OS handles this all on its won very efficiently. Windows users are just used to the "free memory is good" mentality but in Linux (which is what android is based on) free memory is wasted memory and killing processes actually works against the OS not with it. Just let the OS do its thing and you will be fine. Do a Google search for android task killer and read what Developers have to say about it, dont read what user have to say because (with all due respect) most of them dont really know and are just coming from the Windows world. here is a good link to read through.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/

Hi John, good posting. You make some interesting points. My opinion is that generally you don't need one. Some folks with a particular situation may find them advantagous (lots of apps loaded, conflicting apps, security reasons) if they use one.

Mari, you make a good arguement against them with a strong point concerning the developers, but,...the folks who produce the battery for the Ally, and most cellphones, insist there is no reason to cycle the battery. But myself and others have found that it does make a difference.

I don't use a task killer and have had no problem with unwanted tasks or battery life. Sure, the battery life is not spectacular but I can live with that. I charge it a little during work hours and charge it overnight. Easy enough for me.

Its funny, I fall pretty firmly in the "Android doesn't need task killers" camp, so I chuckle when, I overhear a VZW sales rep telling a new Android customer to download ATK for their phone. This has happened the last two or three times I've been at a store.

If you really need to kill a task, you already have a way to do it as of Android 2.0, the Running Services UI. Check out the Running Services information in This Post that I quoted from This Article targeted towards Android Developers.

Re: "... that start their "sales pitch" with "if you're running an automatic task killer, blah, blah, blah..."

Funny and true. Most of the blah, blah, blah is to avoid their App in your Task Killer and exactly what you wrote about 'Managing the Managers.'

Q

Quote Originally Posted by rmaybach View Post
    Its funny, I fall pretty firmly in the "Android doesn't need task killers" camp, so I chuckle when, I overhear a VZW sales rep telling a new Android customer to download ATK for their phone. This has happened the last two or three times I've been at a store.

I think most of the VZW reps speak from their own personal experiences and not from what they have been told to say. It's kinda like all the different opinions you get from this forum about whether or not you need a task killer.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links