Can I delete Google Voice?

This is a discussion on Can I delete Google Voice? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I d/l on my phone, and I can't stand it. I just want to go back to my normal VZW voicemail, but i tried resetting ...

Thread: Can I delete Google Voice?

I d/l on my phone, and I can't stand it. I just want to go back to my normal VZW voicemail, but i tried resetting to factory settings, and its still on there. how do i get it off? THe application is deleted, my phone settings are set to use "my carrier" and yet i still get google voice when i call. how do i get rid of this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Google Voice is a default app. If you downloaded anything it was probably just an upgrade. You cannot delete a default app from your phone unless you root the phone.
    Motorola Droid 4

Or of curiosity what don't you like about it? I think its pretty cool in terms of not having to call voicemail to get your messages. And the rates on international calling are unbeatable. Plus its free.

I'm with Danzindiz on this one -- I would get rid of Google Voice if I could. I really don't even know what it's for -- is it for retrieving voicemail? I use Visual Voicemail and haven't found anything nearly as convenient.

i like the international calling rate, thats fine. I dont like the voice mail set up. I would rather use the VZW voice mail. I had messages on there thati had saved and couldn't get to whenever google voice picked up. I just don't like it. I find it more frustrating to figure out then anything.

btu thanks everyone! greatly appreciated.

I think there is some confusion. Google Voice did not come pre-loaded on the Ally. I know because I have downloaded it from the Market and have since removed it. Google Voice is a Google program that gives you a new number to reach you wherever you are. Google Voice also offers low-rate International calls.

Google Voice Link

You can use Google Voice on the computer, and there is also an App for Google Voice I have installed and uninstalled safely. It was a memory drain IMO.

Just as a test, I re-downloaded the Google Voice App and went through the set-up wizard. That was no help, so I did a Google Search. It turns out you have to go into Google Voice using the Computer. I tried using the phone and it returned error 500 (not supported).

I did a search for Deactivate Google Voice, which says:

Deleting your phone from Google Voice will not actually prevent your voicemail calls from going to Google voicemail. In order to switch back to your carrier's voicemail and deactivate your Google voicemail on your phone, click the Settings link at the top right of the Google Voice page. Then, select the Phones tab and click on Edit. Select Deactivate voicemail and follow the prompts.

I just went through the process and it is straight-forward. Then, of course, I removed Google Voice from my phone again.

Good luck,

Q

I'm baffled by how many people buy Androids while being oblivious to something like Google Voice.

GV is one of the main things that drew me away from my Blackberry. It's essential to getting the most out of your Android.

I'm seriously blown away by how many people that I meet that buy the Ally, Evo, Incredible, etc. and say things like "that's too complicated, I just want to text and make calls."

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links