LG Ally 2.1 Maintenance Release 9/17/10....Temp Pin

This is a discussion on LG Ally 2.1 Maintenance Release 9/17/10....Temp Pin within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by C0D34RCH3R Well I guess it may have fixed the 50% bug,but something is weird. Time without signal is still at 50 but ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LG Ally 2.1 Maintenance Release 9/17/10....Temp Pin

Quote Originally Posted by C0D34RCH3R View Post
    Well I guess it may have fixed the 50% bug,but something is weird. Time without signal is still at 50 but battery usage of radio is 12 at the same time? Doesn't make sense.

The %s shown in battery use are the % of the amount the battery has been used. The % of Time Without Signal is a % of the Cell Standby.

Example:

Battery Usage 50%

Display 60%

Cell Standby 40%

Time W/O Signal 50%

TWS would only account for 10% of Battery Usage. (50% * 40%) * 50% = 10%.
    Motorola Droid 4

Added junk to the app list... scared me with the initial restart and still runs the same as before. Still uses the same amount of ram. But I never had problems with the phone to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by Vol4one View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't do a factory reset afterward. Some people say it's a good idea to do that after an update such as this. I don't mind doing that but I'm still on the fence about whether or not to install the update. This is the only rave review I've seen on the update.

I absolutely saw no reason to do a factory reset, since everything's pretty much running as advertised. My ANDROID home theme still doesn't run as smoothly as the LG theme. The ANDROID theme has what looks like mini-crashes -- I get a warning notification that the android system has to restart -- but it doesn't seem to restart at all. I just dismiss the notifications and go on about my business. This does not happen with the LG home theme, however.

The place where I most notice the benefits of the update is when I wake up the phone. Again, my Ally is pattern protected, and usually it takes a couple of seconds for the touchscreen to recognize contact. Now, there's no delay whatsoever: As soon as I can see the screen, I can swipe the pattern and I'm good to go.

Prior to the upgrade, I would usually have to swipe the pattern two or three times.

Also, I had the chance to shoot the camera a bit more tonight, and under more realistic "field" conditions. It's also a good bit snappier.

And I know it seems like no one else is happy with it, but that might be because few people take the time to report they are happy with something, you know?

I keep getting the notification that there is an upgrade. I keep dismissing it for now, because I don't know what to do. There are positive and negative reviews. HELLLLP

I finally decided to bite the bullet and go through with the update. Almost immediately afterward, I did a factory reset and began reinstalling my apps. I did notice that the scrolling from screen to screen and also up and down seemed to have improved. Of course, that may have a little to do with the factory reset…not sure.

Like most everyone else, I am disappointed in the apps that came along with the update. Not so much disappointed in the apps themselves but disappointed they can’t be removed. Especially the City ID app which expires after only a couple weeks or so. What’s the point in having this app on my phone if I’m not going to buy it and use it? That one should definitely have been uninstallable (if that’s a word). I probably won’t use the My Verizon app very much mainly due to the fact a hardly ever get close to going over my minutes or texts. I guess if I’m terribly bored, I can check out how close I am. Also, should be able to uninstall it. As for Skype, I opened it, saw that I had to have a login, and promptly closed it. I know a lot of people love Skype so I won’t knock it. I think it similar to Google Voice which I have and rarely use. Maybe someone can correct me on that if I’m wrong. If I am correct, I’m surprise Google pushed Skype instead of GV on everybody. Corporate Directory is probably the biggest waste of space for me though. As I saw on another board, that app should be pushed to Blackberry users instead of Ally users. No offense to the Ally but it’s really not a corporate phone.

As far as apps not working anymore like some people are reporting, mine work fine for the most part. May have something to do with the factory reset. I do seem to be having a problem trying to forward this one MMS with ChompSMS. I cannot, for the life of me, send that one text. However, my YouTube widget is actually better! Before the update, it just said YouTube on the left side of the widget. Now, it shows video suggestions. Pretty cool, IMO!

Now on to my battery stats (GPS and Bluetooth off while Wi-Fi is on)………

I took my phone off the charger at 5:25am after charging all night.

-6:25am, it was down to 96% after minimal use. I play a few games of Spades and completed my turn in Wordfeud. Cell standby was at 68%.

-7:25am, it was down to 77% after checking which apps were added and then adding a couple more apps from the Market and also trying to forward a message with ChompSMS. Cell standby was at 44%.

-8:25am, it was down to 66% after some minimal playing with phone. Cell standby was at 59%.

-9:25am, it was down to 57% after checking e-mail and playing a few games of Spades. Cell standby was at 58%.

-10:25am, it was down to 49% with minimal use. Cell standby was at 59%.

One side note, my office has very lousy reception which could possibly be a contributing factor to the high standby percentage.

Overall, I am definitely pleased with the update!

I do not like all the crap apps that were added (like visual VM which is 2.99 a month to use... if i dont want to use it, let me uninstall please).

BUT my phone has not restarted one time since the update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    I keep getting the notification that there is an upgrade. I keep dismissing it for now, because I don't know what to do. There are positive and negative reviews. HELLLLP

You might as well go ahead and update it. You will continue to receive notifications until you do. There is no option to decline the update.

Most of the issues are with other apps that were downloaded before the upgrade. According to others, uninstalling and reinstalling them seems to work until you restart the phone then they are messed up again.

As I have said before, do a factory reset after the update and then reinstall the apps you want. This will clean the phone and insure that the installed apps work with the new version.

Yes, it is a pain and will take awhile to complete but the time and frustration you will save in the long run will be worth it.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by tabbicakes View Post
    I do not like all the crap apps that were added (like visual VM which is 2.99 a month to use... if i dont want to use it, let me uninstall please).

BUT my phone has not restarted one time since the update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually VM was added in the previous update. It is one of the preinstalled apps that I do use.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    Interesting. I'm going to reject the download until I hear some feedback from people.

Smart. Lots of problems with apps not working, widgets not working. Apps have to be uninstalled and reinstalled to get them to work, but then when the phone reboots (which is inevitable) the same issue arises. REJECT THE DOWNLOAD! It isn't worth it.

I recieved the update yesterday OTA. As soon as it was applied, no of my downloaded apps would work. I did a hard reset and reinstalled the apps. The worked fine until I restarted the Ally. Once rebooted, all of the apps were non-functional again. I would get a message "The application Android Home(process android.process.launcher2) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". The icon for the app would just be the generic android icon. I tried re-setting 3 times with the same outcome.

Verizon is sending me a new phone. Hope it works. My co-worker in the office next to mine just came in my office and his Ally is doing the exact same thing! Ugh!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links