LG Ally 2.1 Maintenance Release 9/17/10....Temp Pin

This is a discussion on LG Ally 2.1 Maintenance Release 9/17/10....Temp Pin within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; It's not Verizon's update, it's Googles. 2.2 would be Googles also....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LG Ally 2.1 Maintenance Release 9/17/10....Temp Pin

It's not Verizon's update, it's Googles. 2.2 would be Googles also.

Have been running this release (VS740ZVB) for about 3 weeks and have the following comments.

• Bloatware installed with this update not needed, and just takes up space and memory which is at a premium on the Ally.
    • When City ID had to launch (automatically before most calls unless already open in memory) there would be a lag of several seconds before the phone dialer would appear and dial the call - very annoying. Location ID shown in dialer not accurate at all. Now that trial period is over app is just taking up space - at least I haven't gotten any "nag" messages to purchase since the trial expired, and the dialer lag seems to have gone away.
    • When using the camera - an alert that the SD card is not installed appears for no reason and the camera will not function. This never happened before the update, and only happens when the camera app is started. Have to un-mount, eject, then re-insert card and problem is solved...until the next time - a real pain.
    • Camera however does focus faster and in general camera software seems snappier. I didn't notice any change in the photo gallery performance which was fine before the update.
    The SD card "disappearing" with camera use is my biggest concern. I complained to Verizon about the bloatware etc. and they blamed Google - I knew it was a wasted call but had to vent. Otherwise phone is running just fine, didn't really see much of a change. Hopefully if others are experiencing the camera/sd card issue it can be addressed with the next update. I know it would be unrealistic to expect an option (without rooting) to get rid of the junk apps we were forced to take - hey, one can always hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    It's not Verizon's update, it's Googles. 2.2 would be Googles also.

Thats not quite accurate. Google makes the android operating system and publishes the updates.

They deliver the software to LG Who customizes it for the hardware they are building.

Then LG delivers the custom build to Verizon where it gets approved to run on their network and they add all the VZW Apps and other worthless crap they want you to have.

This is a incremental update by Verizon... they get kickbacks from app developers like CityId to put trials in the software.

Google begins the process by designing the update and approving the final build. Once that's over, it's passed to manufacturers who then ensure that it works on their devices. The manufacturers then send it to the carriers who customize again for their networks.

Correct, but it is still Googles update. They are the publisher. Are things added to it?...sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Correct, but it is still Googles update. They are the publisher. Are things added to it?...sure.

Not for certain. I dont see anything on the change log for the last update that wasnt from LG or Verizon.

My guess is that Google's part in the updates work fine when they are released. Its the add ins that are breaking things.

If Google was delivering broken 2.1 updates then everyone on Android 2.1 would be having these issues.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links