Tethering Question

This is a discussion on Tethering Question within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I have a few questions about tethering. Background We are seriously considering discontinuing out FIOS internet & tethering my phone. We are actually getting Dish ...

Thread: Tethering Question

I have a few questions about tethering.

Background

We are seriously considering discontinuing out FIOS internet & tethering my phone. We are actually getting Dish Network (after much research for our area) & DVR so it won't be a big deal to not be able to watch video (and we'll discontinue our Netflix).

I actually got our phone tethered to the computer & a laptop as well, but I no longer have the laptop (was my husband's work laptop & he got a new job so we no longer have access to it). Everything worked fine. I was even able to play games on FB.

So my few questions.

I've heard people say calls do not come thru on the phone while tethered. So, if someone does call, does anything happen to the connection of the tether? For instance does it get disconnected or do most tethering apps keep any calls from going thru at all?

Is it easier/faster to connect tethering via bluetooth or usb?

Also, I keep seeing that pdanet (what I currently have) is limited in function. Something about https (sp?) sites. I guess I just need a little more info as to what those sites are that are hindered.

I am sorry about these questions. I would test it out myself but our computer is in our basement & I get no service down there. So until we buy a laptop or figure some ingenius way to somehow fit our computer upstairs, then I'm in the dark. Thanks for the info in advance!

Loveally

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by loveally View Post
    Also, I keep seeing that pdanet (what I currently have) is limited in function. Something about https (sp?) sites. I guess I just need a little more info as to what those sites are that are hindered.

https is what is used for secure sites. An example of an https would be a banking website. Without access to https, you would not be able to logon to your bank account.

Sorry, I don't know the answers to your other questions.
    Motorola Droid 4

Hi loveally, nice name and nothing to be sorry about. You're among Ally friends here like AA who gave his always correct answer.

And,...here's some more. If the Ally is actively tethered and someone calls,...it goes straight to your voicemail. It's because your phone is already in use. If you should recieve a text,..you'll get the notification icon. As far as bluetooth or USB....try to stick with the USB cable if you can. Much less chance of any issues / problems in my experience. But I don't tether much, some members might have more help in this area.

Just a thought loveally, don't forget Verizons netbooks. Nice big screen, and you can surf the net anywhere your Ally works, even send text messages. They use the 3G data network and Wi-Fi is built in also. No additional cables,...modems...antenna...adapters,...nothing. Certainly not best for everyone, but worth considering.

Let me sneak this in folks,...AA, remember the voicemail notification that wouldn't go away? I think the solution was hard reset, then the *228 roaming update. If anyone has this issue, let us know.

I have been using "Easy Tether Pro" for over a month now. Your calls will come through when tethered but your tether connection will disconnect. Texts will also come through but they don't always make the connection drop. Easy tether is $9.95 for the full app, no recurring charges at all. I have not tethered using Bluetooth, only through USB. The speed is alot faster than I had though it would be. It's not DSL but it sure beats dial up and for the price, I think it's well worth waiting for some pages to load. Youtube videos are no problem. I've tried watching hulu but I think that site has been having problems as my connection at work is really fast and it has trouble with hulu video playing. All in all I think Easy Tether Pro is great and once you got it set up on your computer, connecting is as simple as plugging in your phone. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Hi loveally, nice name and nothing to be sorry about. You're among Ally friends here like AA who gave his always correct answer.

And,...here's some more. If the Ally is actively tethered and someone calls,...it goes straight to your voicemail. It's because your phone is already in use. If you should recieve a text,..you'll get the notification icon. As far as bluetooth or USB....try to stick with the USB cable if you can. Much less chance of any issues / problems in my experience. But I don't tether much, some members might have more help in this area.

Just a thought loveally, don't forget Verizons netbooks. Nice big screen, and you can surf the net anywhere your Ally works, even send text messages. They use the 3G data network and Wi-Fi is built in also. No additional cables,...modems...antenna...adapters,...nothing. Certainly not best for everyone, but worth considering.

Let me sneak this in folks,...AA, remember the voicemail notification that wouldn't go away? I think the solution was hard reset, then the *228 roaming update. If anyone has this issue, let us know.

How did you get the lg ally to tether. every time i try I get the missing modem error and the device manager shows a question mark instead of my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by loonz View Post
    I have been using "Easy Tether Pro" for over a month now. Your calls will come through when tethered but your tether connection will disconnect. Texts will also come through but they don't always make the connection drop. Easy tether is .95 for the full app, no recurring charges at all. I have not tethered using Bluetooth, only through USB. The speed is alot faster than I had though it would be. It's not DSL but it sure beats dial up and for the price, I think it's well worth waiting for some pages to load. Youtube videos are no problem. I've tried watching hulu but I think that site has been having problems as my connection at work is really fast and it has trouble with hulu video playing. All in all I think Easy Tether Pro is great and once you got it set up on your computer, connecting is as simple as plugging in your phone. Hope this helps.

How did you get easy tether to work. every time I try it shows the modem showing up as missing.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links