"ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

This is a discussion on "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2) within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Interesting thread. I haven't found a single thing wrong with my phone post-update, other than the crapware that was added....

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

Interesting thread. I haven't found a single thing wrong with my phone post-update, other than the crapware that was added.

Okay, there are some seriously dynamic results to this update. I have not been able to get the update since I am rooted but I here LG is working on this.

So my next question would be, if I get the update (even if I factory reset and un-root), will I be able to re-root? I have seen some people in this thread and others saying that this update makes it impossible to root. Yes I know that I hack will almost surely become available. But that raises another question.

What happens if I take all this time to install this update, re-root my phone (whether through current hacks or a new one) and then I have the same problem with Froyo? I still haven't heard an answer as to whether ot not Froyo will be pushed to a rooted phone. Does anyone know any of the answers to my 20 questions:D ?

Are any of you rooted and wondering the same thing?

Thanks in advance...as always these forums are most helpful!

I joined the group only because of this silly update. I've had my Ally for a month. I loved it and this board has been something I couldn't live without. UNTIL THE UPDATE. Since the update; I've wanted to throw the phone, kick and scream, and have one heck of a hissy fit. My phone was one of the few that seemed to be just fine. I only wanted to be able to save to the SD card. (Froyo, hurry it up) NOW, this stupid thing freezes up, does that force close I keep reading about and I can't understand the running app numbers any more. (I understood before I just need the first number to be higher than 20) It seems to now have a mind of its own. Which I don't need; I have children for that! I can hardly get the slider to work just to wake up the phone. ALL BECAUSE OF AN UPDATE.

I'm new to this smartphone thing and wanted the Ally to get me started. THIS IS KILLING ME! Put it back the way it was or fix it fast!

Folks, if your phone is so terrible since the update, don't pull your hair out trying to figure it out. Just take it to a Verizon store and tell them it doesn't work right since the recent OTA update and they will have to get it working properly, or replace it. Of course, if you've rooted the Ally you're on your own. No warranty repairs or replacements for hacked phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol4one View Post
    As far as apps not working anymore like some people are reporting, mine work fine for the most part. May have something to do with the factory reset. I do seem to be having a problem trying to forward this one MMS with ChompSMS. I cannot, for the life of me, send that one text. However, my YouTube widget is actually better! Before the update, it just said YouTube on the left side of the widget. Now, it shows video suggestions. Pretty cool, IMO!

Guess I spoke too soon about the YouTube widget. Mine abruptly stopped working last night for some reason. I moved my SportsTap widget from my main screen to the screen with the YouTube widget and it stopped working. I tried removing and re-adding which doesn't fix it. I tried re-booting my phone which only gives me a FORCE CLOSE on the widget upon booting up.

Not a major deal to me since I didn't ever use the widget but still disconcerting as to why it suddenly stopped working.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol4one View Post
    Guess I spoke too soon about the YouTube widget. Mine abruptly stopped working last night for some reason. I moved my SportsTap widget from my main screen to the screen with the YouTube widget and it stopped working. I tried removing and re-adding which doesn't fix it. I tried re-booting my phone which only gives me a FORCE CLOSE on the widget upon booting up.

Not a major deal to me since I didn't ever use the widget but still disconcerting as to why it suddenly stopped working.

the Youtube widget is the only app that just randomly stops working since the update. Eventhough I haven't rebooted/shutdown the phone it just stops working. I usually just drag the widget into the garbage can and then reinstall the widget and it fixes it for a time. I don't use it often but I still would like it to be be fixed. I have only seen the problems with the Youtube widget but I would be surprised if that is the only widget that got bugged by the latest update so that is why I would like to see a fix soon.

The most recent update killed my root and the previous method did not work to get it rooted again. I did some digging and found the easiest way to root my Ally. All I had to do was install an app and run it. Universal Androot is an app that will let you root and un-root your phone at will. I used version 1.6.1 and it worked beautifully on my Ally.

Go here and download the apk to your SD card:

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=747598

Go to Settings/Applications and select Unknown sources so you can install from your SD card.

Use a file manager like Astro or ES File Explorer to run the install package.

Run Universal Androot and tap the "Root :-)" button and done!

Hope everyone finds it as useful as I did. Enjoy!!!

OK, I turned the phone off and stepped away. I feel better. I do Love my Ally, please don't take that wrong, I was extremely irritated. So far as 'rooting' I am not confident in my abilities to mess with the equipment like that so mines stock with 3 simple apps. (none are apkillers) I just figured out what a 'widget' meant and that was thru google. I don't consider myself computer illiterate, but more of a novice.

The apps do not seem to have been affected by the update. But the overall performance lags. When I 'wake up' the phone it does a momentary flashing, like it's not sure what screen it's to be on, then the slider shows. It takes specific effort to slide it now to use the phone, where before I could haphazardly swipe and it would open home. This force close thing I don't understand. It seems to be the market and one of the google apps. I'm assuming it's a background program because it never closes anything out when it does this.

And finally, what exactly are the numbers on the running app screen? Which one means what and which one is the 'important' one.

You guys rock and ARE the Ally Guru's. Eventually, I will be like you.

I joined this forum just because of this update. I've only had my Ally for 16 days. I loved it until the update. Now my blood glucose tracking app doesn't work and my phone no longer tells me who is calling. That's okay, though, because it also doesn't let me slide the lock over to answer the call anyway. I guess I'll try the factory reset. Anyway, I really appreciate this forum.

Aha, AA! Protected apps are my rub. Good to know why some (2) apps would not back-up. Those 2 apps are also ones that this update does not like. I can live without TV.com until I want to watch something. Downloading the App is a snap I can save for when I want it. My other problem App was mentioned, too. It truly is the smallest, nicest looking, most customizable, FREE Digital Clock Widget available. Oh well. Nothing to pull hair out over

Meanwhile, any referrals for a FREE Digital Clock Widget? 2 x 1 preferred but I can work with whatever. I am going to FACTORY RESET even if it does nothing for these 2 apps. At this point is it easier than moving 7 screens of widgets like those slide puzzles you see all over the market. It may clean up some stuff, too, I hope.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links