"ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

This is a discussion on "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2) within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Qasar Aha, AA! Protected apps are my rub. Good to know why some (2) apps would not back-up. Those 2 apps are ...

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    Aha, AA! Protected apps are my rub. Good to know why some (2) apps would not back-up. Those 2 apps are also ones that this update does not like. I can live without TV.com until I want to watch something. Downloading the App is a snap I can save for when I want it. My other problem App was mentioned, too. It truly is the smallest, nicest looking, most customizable, FREE Digital Clock Widget available. Oh well. Nothing to pull hair out over

Meanwhile, any referrals for a FREE Digital Clock Widget? 2 x 1 preferred but I can work with whatever. I am going to FACTORY RESET even if it does nothing for these 2 apps. At this point is it easier than moving 7 screens of widgets like those slide puzzles you see all over the market. It may clean up some stuff, too, I hope.

I used to use the Digiclock widget (2x1) and the Weatherbug widget (2x1) side by side with clear backgrounds that looked pretty good on my homepage so I could quickly see the clock, date, and weather. I replaced the two widgets with the pay app Beautiful widgets and it works flawlessly with the new update on my Ally.

I guess it would be possible for a paid app to not be protected but it isn't common.
    Motorola Droid 4

Well, the lagging must have been a warning. The phone completely froze yesterday. Pulled the battery and it corrected itself for a half hr and froze again. I had no choice but to do the factory reset figuring this is what Verizon would have me do anyway. Did that and so far so good. Lord help the phone and anyone around if it crashes again. Hubby has the X because he liked the platform of Android.....I like the Ally better so long as it's working right.

I am SO glad I reset! It turns out LauncherPro allows the renaming of icons when putting them on your Home Screen. For example, I changed "Messaging," which always overlapped the space available, to "Texts" and I removed all those "Pro" and "Lite" titles from icons. I swear my phone looks sharper post update (and reset) too.

Ever since I got htis update Fandango and Convey this apps have stopped working which is kind of annoying. My biggest complaint with the update is now my phone is sluggish as all get out.

Well I did not receive this update, no idea why. Says software is up to date but still sitting on VZ8.

Tried the *#*#checkin#*#* to force it and it comes back checkin: sucess but still nothing for an update.

Tried the factory reset, the home-on-volumn recovery, restarted, retried; nothing, nada, zip on the update to VZB. Maybe VZ pulled the update due to all the issues?

As far as I know the only ones that were not getting the update were phones that had managed to upgrade to version 9. Version 9 was not an official release.

Hopefully LG Pro will stop by and let you know what you can do.
    Motorola Droid 4

I did not get the update either. I was prompted to start it, left my phone alone, came back and it still said V8. I am rooted, so maybe that has something to do with it. It claims I am up to date as well.

I noticed a few of you aren't sure or may not think you have the new update. Well, here's the sure fire way to see. Go to "About Phone" in Settings & under "SW Version" the # should be "VS740ZVB". Hopefully, this helps those who are unsure.

I still have apps that don't work including TV.com ( no biggie, when I want to watch something I'll just download it), Easy Answer (not too happy about that but it is easy to uninstall & reinstall if needed), Redboxer (paid app for Redbox), and 1 or 2 more that are not important (so unimportant that I've forogtten them already).

I did notice downloads are much faster from the market. I love that! Considering a factory reset but waiting a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I have gotten the update but when I download and install it, I get a exclamation mark during the installation, and then the phone reboots. I also try to do a factory reset, re-download and reinstall it but it does the same thing. However, when I go to system updates it says "Your system is currently up to date". When I look at the SW Version, it says I have VS740ZV8. The only thing I can think of is I used the Universal Androot 1.6 awhile back and got rid of some unnecessary apps.

So, the problem here is not being rooted (it'll de-root you, but you can easily re-root with Androot)... The problem is the system apps you deleted. Since the updates utilize a Unix/Linux patch style method, when it checks the new version files against the old version files, it'll find that the old version isn't even there, and the update fails. The Verizon server then thinks you've been updated and will offer it no longer, but as you've noticed, you're still at v8. A factory reset and reactivation will re-inform the server that you need to be updated, but it will fail again (and always). The only way to fix this is basically to replace the system apps that you deleted (if you can get the apk's, or hopefully you backed them up instead of just deleting them, you can move them back into the /system/app directory and that should make things okay -- might be worth running them in order to generate the com data, just in case -- and you will probably need to reboot). Also, you can just reflash down to v6 (search on Android Forums for the process), then take the v8 and ZVB updates when offered, although this should only be done as a last resort as flashing does run the risk of yielding a brick.

Fortunately, pain as it may be, you're not completely SOL... Believe me, I know, I was in the same boat as you for the v8 update and had to reflash to v6 (because I was stupid and didn't back-up the system apps I uninstalled), but I'm at VZB now and it works fine. A safer option, for future reference, to uninstalling the system apps (I hate them too), is to use Titanium Backup's "freeze" option, which essentially takes them out of play; they're still on the phone, but they will no longer run, manually or automatically, and they are removed from your app drawer. And if you really insist on removing the apps altogether, then at least just *move* the apk's out of the system directory and store them somewhere safe, that way they can be moved back if need be (like for OTA updates).

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links