"ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

This is a discussion on "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2) within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I find it hard to believe that everyone who is rooted is having the same problem. People root for the primary reason of getting rid ...

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

I find it hard to believe that everyone who is rooted is having the same problem. People root for the primary reason of getting rid of useless system apps. For instance, I removed the stock email application, Amazon marketplace, LG Calendar, Dual clock, Car home, Corporate Calendar, think free and the LG home 2.1 theme. I wouldnt think any of those apps are "crucial" system apps.

Also, in titanium backup, those mentioned apps above dont have a restore button to the left of them. Even though they say backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman19 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that everyone who is rooted is having the same problem. People root for the primary reason of getting rid of useless system apps. For instance, I removed the stock email application, Amazon marketplace, LG Calendar, Dual clock, Car home, Corporate Calendar, think free and the LG home 2.1 theme. I wouldnt think any of those apps are "crucial" system apps.

Also, in titanium backup, those mentioned apps above dont have a restore button to the left of them. Even though they say backed up.

I agree, I don't think they're crucial apps either... The phone, the OS, everything works just fine without. However, if the updater is programmed to either abort if it finds missing files (which, of course, means a "tampered" with phone), or if it just fails because the "diff" between the old and new file versions is not what it was expected, then the update is not going to get installed, just as I experienced and what others in this thread (and many other threads) have described. Being rooted in and of itself doesn't prevent the update (I've done it), but it appears that removing "system" apps does. It's possible that there's even just one pesky app that it looks for, but the first time I had this happen the only things I uninstalled were Facebook, Myspace, and Socialite.

Unfortunately, you are correct, Titanium Backup does not do a correct backup of system apps, even with the full paid version, it only seems to update their data (my second time through this whole update mess occurred because I had believed that TB *did* back them up, only to find out that it did not... either that or I screwed up the backup somehow, though I'm not sure how that could be... I had no trouble with my downloaded apps). However, TB's "freezing" option prevents even system apps from being the nuisances that they are (although they do still show up in the Market as having available updates, which is annoying). The only real fail-safe methods that I've been able to find or think of is a complete Nandroid backup that you can use to restore the missing apps (but that requires a custom recovery, which also prevents updates, if I'm not mistaken), or to move the offending apps' APK's out of the /system/app directory and into a safe place. Then, if you need to update, you just move them back. This is what I've done, anyway (I tested a couple different apps to make sure it worked, including reboots between moving and moving back, and it worked)... Hopefully when the time comes for yet another pre-2.2 update, or the 2.2 upgrade itself, it'll work again.

What would be your best advice in this situation? Stay at V8 or try to find the missing APKs on google and reinstall using Astro file manager?

Thanks for your help.

What would be your best advice in this situation? Stay at V8 or try to find the missing APKs on google and reinstall using Astro file manager?

Thanks for your help.

Hmm... Well, my concern would be that if ZVC or whatever comes up that fixes the problems with ZVB, or worse yet, the Froyo upgrade comes around, then people in this situation might get screwed and still not be able to get the OTA's. I don't know if this will be the case or not, but it was my fear. I don't know that you necessarily want to search for the missing APK's via google, probably want to find a reasonably reputable source, such as http://androidforums...om-ally.html. Or here's a link to the whole stock v8 ROM: http://savoxis.com/ally/roms/signed_ally_V8_stock.zip. You should be able to take the APK's from the "removed_apps_signed.zip" file (hopefully that's everything that you need).

I don't think you'll be able to restore them with just Astro, though... You'll probably need to use either a terminal emulator with su privileges (Android Terminal Emulator is a good one) or use an ADB shell over a USB connection. Unzip and save the APK's to your sdcard (or use ABD push statements to move them there). Then *carefully* use the following (replacing "filename" with the exact filenames of the various APK's you need to replace):

$ su

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

# cat /sdcard/filename.apk > /system/app/filename.apk

... and then reboot and see if you can run the apps. If they don't work, you could also try pushing the .odex files (found in the full ROM above), although I don't think it'll be necessary.

Note that I have not tried a full deleted app recovery using this method, so I can't guarantee that it'll work, but my couple test files on VZB did (and I'm relying on this method to work for me next time an update comes, since I moved my unwanted system apps to the sdcard). If the above doesn't work, the "easiest" thing to do to ensure the update occurs is probably to flash back to the v6 ROM and then take the v8 and VZB updates when offered (usually pretty quickly), as described here: http://androidforums...ml#post1233647. Caution, though, it is possible to brick your phone doing this (although I haven't heard of anyone who has, and the process did indeed work for me).

After reading all the problems with the ZVB update, I am thinking I might be safe for now staying on V8. I just hope I will be able to get the 2.2 upgrade although I dont think we will be seeing it for quite a while.

After reading all the problems with the ZVB update, I am thinking I might be safe for now staying on V8. I just hope I will be able to get the 2.2 upgrade although I dont think we will be seeing it for quite a while.

Yeah, that's probably not a bad idea, although if you're unable to get the VZB update, then the 2.2 may be a problem as well... But you can always deal with it when the time comes.

And to be fair... I had some problems after the VZB update, and I've mostly ironed them out (I don't know how many of them are the fault of the update vs. the fault of myself and the method I used in order to get the update)... The only thing that doesn't really work are a couple apps that get installed in the "app_private" directory (apparently somewhere that purchased apps are often installed), and they stop working after reboots. That, and the extra apps added (although they can be frozen, as I mentioned above). The positives for the VZB update are that it appears to have fixed the 50% bug (did for my phone, and many others, although some people complain that it didn't). My phone is also significantly more responsive than it was, few lags overall. And I think my battery life has improved some. So, you win some and you lose some, I guess. Hopefully the negatives will be taken care of in reasonably short order, but I think the positives made the update worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassman View Post
    Yeah, that's probably not a bad idea, although if you're unable to get the VZB update, then the 2.2 may be a problem as well... But you can always deal with it when the time comes.

And to be fair... I had some problems after the VZB update, and I've mostly ironed them out (I don't know how many of them are the fault of the update vs. the fault of myself and the method I used in order to get the update)... The only thing that doesn't really work are a couple apps that get installed in the "app_private" directory (apparently somewhere that purchased apps are often installed), and they stop working after reboots. That, and the extra apps added (although they can be frozen, as I mentioned above). The positives for the VZB update are that it appears to have fixed the 50% bug (did for my phone, and many others, although some people complain that it didn't). My phone is also significantly more responsive than it was, few lags overall. And I think my battery life has improved some. So, you win some and you lose some, I guess. Hopefully the negatives will be taken care of in reasonably short order, but I think the positives made the update worthwhile.

Grassman, am I going to have to reinstall all the apps I have downloaded? Should I write down the list before downgrading? What about messages (text and email)? Does it erase those as well?

Thanks!!

Grassman, am I going to have to reinstall all the apps I have downloaded? Should I write down the list before downgrading? What about messages (text and email)? Does it erase those as well?

Thanks!!

Actually, the first time I flashed back to v6 I had already done a factory reset (which kills *everything*). But the second time I didn't, and found (to my surprise) that all my apps were still there. So it apparently just flashes the image of the OS and radio and whatnot. That said, it's pretty much usually helpful to do a factory reset afterward (same goes for even the incremental updates). So, you can keep track of all your apps and then just reinstall them via the Market (if you don't have too many), but then you'll still lose settings and messages (e-mail shouldn't be a problem because it's most likely done on GMail or via IMAP, yes?)... Or you could get yourself a backup program, such as Titanium Backup, MyBackup, etc. Something that can back up both your apps *and* all your settings and data (including SMS, contacts, and such). I use Titanium myself, but I think you need to buy the full version ($3 last I checked) to make it truly useful (and much faster); you also need to have root, but odds are you still do. MyBackup has a 30 day trial, which might be sufficient, but I haven't really played with it much. I know there are also text messaging backup/archive apps in the market, as well, so if you've got a lot that you want to save you could look into that for extra protection.

Thanks. Its all moot right now, as my computer wont recognize my phone. It recognizes USB mode and I can mount the SD to move files back and forth, but the LG updater is claiming I am not connected. I made sure I had the correct driver installed. When I plug the phone in, it prompts to install driver, I click automatically but it never finds the driver. I have debugging enabled. Dont know what to do. Have tried rebooting and still nothing.

I am not sure how many that use this forum read the LG forums: http://www.lgforum.c...arriers/verizon because if you haven't heard it seems we can expect another update "soon" to fix the problems introduced with the ZVB update

The update is mentioned by the Moderator LG Product Pro on page #5 in the Ally 2.1 Update Questions thread FYI

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links