"ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

This is a discussion on "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2) within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; My assessment after 24 hours: install it ASAP I posted my impressions in another thread. It's No. 13 in the following thread: Maintenance update thread ...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

My assessment after 24 hours: install it ASAP

I posted my impressions in another thread. It's No. 13 in the following thread: Maintenance update thread

I don't think I use any of the apps that have had issues, such as Youtube or TV.com. Oddly enough, the only app that's failed to launch is one that was installed by the update! I don't even remember what it was, but it didn't look particularly interesting, so I just trashed the icon off my desktop.

After 24 hours, I'm still impressed with how snappy the phone's performance is now, especially on wake up. It really is day and night -- at least on my phone.

Interesting that I received the message for an update last night, accepted it and set my phone down. Picked it back up about 15 mins later and everything looked normal. Version still says 8 and no new apps installed. When I go to system updates, it says I am up to date. Guess mine didnt take, so I should consider myself fortunate! LOL

Still no update for me yet. Today is supposed to be the final day for the release.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    I have not paid for any apps but I believe you can go to the Market and download them again without having to pay for them a second time.

I found one, my Ohio State clock/news app. But I lost another, which I had to purchase again if I wanted it. So I have foregone that app.

I finally got my update this morning. It is VERY GOOD. Here is what I have noticed:

Slide to unlock is much faster. There is no delay getting to the home screen! You know how the slide bar used to hold the visual slide on the screen and delay the opening? It does not do that anymore. The Home Screen comes up immediately. When you lock and hit the Power button to unlock, the screen does flash what you last had open but really just a quick flash.

From a restart the power up takes just as long, and the home screen icons pop up faster than before but it is not immediate. But still faster.

My Apps are starting faster and response in general is faster and sharper, even within apps! Ever play WordUp? You know how sometimes you had a delay when you touch a first letter. There is no longer a delay. Sliding your finger around the screen seems sharper too.

In the Facebook for Android App I have yet to be denied a video from playing. Response time is very good too. And when the App starts the Browser it was immediate.

My camera starts faster and even takes pictures faster. The old delay was unbearable. Now it is merely auto-focusing. It takes 2 "Mississippis" from button to snap, which is much, much better.

Gallery starts much faster, and swiping from pic to pic is clean and immediate. Impressively so. Pics don't take nearly as long to focus when you first start the album, too. Even my panoramic and full-screen pics came up very quickly in comparison.

I had to remove and reinstalled my Digital Clock Widget App. The delay when you long-touch the home screen to choose a widget is still there. But Download and Install from the Market is quicker and more responsive. I used to get delays between the "will be downloaded" message and when the download started, and then between "download complete" and "installing." It is streamlined, it seems.

Re: an earlier post, my alarm worked immediately. However, the default sound was chosen. I went back to me Looney Tunes soundboard one (Speedy Gonzalez says, "Yeehaw, Yeehaw! Andalay, Andalay! Arriva Arriva! Yee-HaHaHa")

Those bloat-ware Apps are bogus! But beyond that re-installing a few Apps has been the only nuisance for most, but even when the Apps are updated they may require a restart. Get over it. THIS UPDATE IS GREAT, IMO!

I agree with Qasar and can say I have had the same experiences as he talks about with the new update

also I haven't seen the 50% bug yet since the update but it seems to stay away for a couple of days and then returns but using the airport mode/restart trick I can get rid of it, hopefully I finally got rid of the 50% bug after this second incremental update since I got my Ally

I posted this in another thread but thought it could be useful here too....

I finally decided to bite the bullet and go through with the update. Almost immediately afterward, I did a factory reset and began reinstalling my apps. I did notice that the scrolling from screen to screen and also up and down seemed to have improved. Of course, that may have a little to do with the factory reset…not sure.

Like most everyone else, I am disappointed in the apps that came along with the update. Not so much disappointed in the apps themselves but disappointed they can’t be removed. Especially the City ID app which expires after only a couple weeks or so. What’s the point in having this app on my phone if I’m not going to buy it and use it? That one should definitely have been uninstallable (if that’s a word). I probably won’t use the My Verizon app very much mainly due to the fact a hardly ever get close to going over my minutes or texts. I guess if I’m terribly bored, I can check out how close I am. Also, should be able to uninstall it. As for Skype, I opened it, saw that I had to have a login, and promptly closed it. I know a lot of people love Skype so I won’t knock it. I think it similar to Google Voice which I have and rarely use. Maybe someone can correct me on that if I’m wrong. If I am correct, I’m surprise Google pushed Skype instead of GV on everybody. Corporate Directory is probably the biggest waste of space for me though. As I saw on another board, that app should be pushed to Blackberry users instead of Ally users. No offense to the Ally but it’s really not a corporate phone.

As far as apps not working anymore like some people are reporting, mine work fine for the most part. May have something to do with the factory reset. I do seem to be having a problem trying to forward this one MMS with ChompSMS. I cannot, for the life of me, send that one text. However, my YouTube widget is actually better! Before the update, it just said YouTube on the left side of the widget. Now, it shows video suggestions. Pretty cool, IMO!

Now on to my battery stats (GPS and Bluetooth off while Wi-Fi is on)………

I took my phone off the charger at 5:25am after charging all night.

-6:25am, it was down to 96% after minimal use. I play a few games of Spades and completed my turn in Wordfeud. Cell standby was at 68%.

-7:25am, it was down to 77% after checking which apps were added and then adding a couple more apps from the Market and also trying to forward a message with ChompSMS. Cell standby was at 44%.

-8:25am, it was down to 66% after some minimal playing with phone. Cell standby was at 59%.

-9:25am, it was down to 57% after checking e-mail and playing a few games of Spades. Cell standby was at 58%.

-10:25am, it was down to 49% with minimal use. Cell standby was at 59%.

One side note, my office has very lousy reception which could possibly be a contributing factor to the high standby percentage.

Overall, I am definitely pleased with the update!

One more thing I just noticed: Call Log now has the number and label under the name. Like So-and-So and underneath it says Home or Mobile, etc and gives the number. If the number is not in my contacts, instead it displays the number and underneath displays the City and State. This is true for incoming and outgoing calls. I suspect this is the "City ID" Bloatware App though. I really hope not. I like this info there and refuse to pay anything extra! (I have only opened City ID and closed it after it wanted a sign-in.)

No update for me as well, still at V8.

There is an update1 next to my firmware version though; i'm guessing that's something different?
    "STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Quote Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post
    No update for me as well, still at V8.

There is an update1 next to my firmware version though; i'm guessing that's something different?

That Firmware Version "2.1-update1" was there before and after this update. At the bottom, under SW Version the post-update will display "VS740ZVB." I don't remember what the Baseband Version, Kernel Version or Build number were before this update so I don't know if they are different.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links