"ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

This is a discussion on "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2) within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; After a few days of living with the update - Pros: * Increased stability is always good. I also didn't see the reboot issues most ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "ZVC" update (before we get froyo 2.2)

After a few days of living with the update -

Pros:

* Increased stability is always good. I also didn't see the reboot issues most reporters are complaining of.

Cons:

* The number of TSR or background-running apps has drastically increased. I've despised how much I have to use Adv Task Killer to keep memory clear and system responsiveness up, and the update has made it much worse. there's tons of stuff that starts in the background far more frequently. I *****ed loudly at Verizon and customer service did call and acknowledge my written compliant, but it's obviously they're not going to do anything. They also **STILL** can't guess at when the Froyo 2.2 update will be released.

* the memory leak issues are accelerating - I can get 50-70MB freed up after a reboot, but after 12-24 hours, it's down to 30MB.

* the CIty ID app, along with being a complete sham of a 'trialware', is also completely useless.

* I'm glad Verizon released it's app, but it's a porker and not very efficient.

I guess I'm not very satisified; I went in to the Verizon store and played with the DroidX and Droid2 and contemplated how I'd have to finagle a DroidX upgrade before talking to a CSR about my dislike of my month-old Ally.

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    One more thing I just noticed: Call Log now has the number and label under the name. Like So-and-So and underneath it says Home or Mobile, etc and gives the number. If the number is not in my contacts, instead it displays the number and underneath displays the City and State. This is true for incoming and outgoing calls. I suspect this is the "City ID" Bloatware App though. I really hope not. I like this info there and refuse to pay anything extra! (I have only opened City ID and closed it after it wanted a sign-in.)

Qasar, You're right -- that info is provided by City ID. I like it too, but not nearly enough to pay for it as a subscription, which I believe is how it is marketed. It came as a demo on my last phone -- the enV Touch -- and I didn't keep it then. Hopefully, since it's a trial version, we'll be able to remove it once the trial is up. No way I'm paying for City ID.

One thing I'll add, now that everyone should have gotten the update, and mine's been running for a few days. I am really surprised at the boost in performance. It makes me wonder why my phone wasn't running that snappy out of the box! Overall, it has greatly increased my satisfaction with my Ally.

I've had the update, and everything is working pretty much the same as before. Nothing screwing up, noticed the new apps, but nothing that I've noticed that's much better than before.

I think it is just my imagination but it seems to me like my display looks sharper than it did before.
    Motorola Droid 4

I'm a new Ally user and I've only had my phone for about two weeks. I've noticed marginal improvement in my battery life. I take my phone off the charge at 9 am and during the first week (pre-update) I was charging by 5 pm. Now I can go an entire day and set up the phone to charge with 30% life at 11pm. Over 12 hours is very satisfying for me because I'm a heavy user (music, navigation, email, etc).

The only thing that "broke" for me were two apps. Digital Clock by Maize (makes me sad since it is the lightest digital clock on the market that's free) and AOnlineRadio, which isn't a big deal since I found a replacement that was a slight upgrade. By "broke" I mean that after I restarted my phone these two apps ceased to work. I could uninstall, download, and reinstall to get them working again, but that was a pain since I like to reboot my phone in the morning to get a fresh start.

I did notice some memory issues since the update. I run a number of widgets and background apps and was at roughly 60M of free space. After the update, with the same widgets and background apps, I'm closing in on 30M free. I don't know what's to blame, I don't use a Task Killer since I wasn't anywhere near filling my available memory.

My screen also seems to scroll much smoother, specifically the App Drawer. A few screens still lag or "stick" from time to time.

The advantages seem to trump the disadvantages but I really wish Verizon would stop with the bloat ware. At least give us the option to uninstall those apps.

Since updating, I lose all of my paid apps every time I restart the phone. Of course, I can download them from the app market again without paying for them. But it's rather annoying to go through that process every time I restart.

Glock,....I know it's a pain, but do a factory reset, verify VB is installed, then download and set everything up again. If that doesn't help,....then there is a problem somewhere.

Give it a try, you only have to do it once, and mines been working great,... I just don't like the crapware they sent.

If the app is a protected app, a factory reset won't help. I imagine that most paid apps will be protected. Still waiting on LG to answer my note about it.
    Motorola Droid 4

I am personally ready to wring the neck of anyone who works for Verizon at the moment. I got the update Fri morning, and for about 4 hours, my phone was useless - no ability to text, call, or anything while my ally froze and rebooted several times. Then after lunch, all seemed well. By Saturday afternoon, things were freezing up again. I was having to force close my home app (Panda) and would get just a black screen with the regular time/toolbar at the top. I would turn the phone off and reboot, things would be fine for about 15 minutes, then the same thing would happen. So I got on this forum and saw the suggestions to backup and factory reset. I did that, and it really didn't do much of anything.

By Sat night, I was ready to throw this flipping phone through a window!!! Here it is, Sun night, and it seems like I have a bipolar device. One hour, it's fine. The next - it won't function - freezes when I try to open Messaging or Pandora. I am taking it to Verizon this week (had it for only 2 months) to tell them to get it working normally again. If they can't, I will resist the strong urge to force it into a Verizon rep's orifice, and probably root it.

Here's one thing I've experienced - since the update, using Task Killer to end processes ALWAYS sends it into these "seizures". But it's very hard not to, when you pull up the list and there are like 15 - 20 apps running. A Best Buy techy friend of mine (who has rooted his Droid X) tells me to just let the Android system manage itself - bc it's Linux-based (I think?), it doesn't operate like a PC and because processes are listed doesn't necessarily mean they are burning memory and/or power. (Which makes sense bc when I check the phone's power consumption, they aren't using a very high percentage. ) And don't EVEN get me started on the "crap apps" that they add that I have no control over.

I've been a satisfied Verizon customer for about 15 years, and with this, my first smartphone purchase, I am ready to join the Amish. [No offense to the Amish who frequent this forum. You guys make KILLER furniture. : ) ]

Did you try a Factory Reset? Other than getting a protected app from working I have had no issues.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links