stop skype and talk from running

This is a discussion on stop skype and talk from running within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Anyone know how to stop skype and talk from automatically running. i have an app killer but i want to turn these two apps off ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stop skype and talk from running

Anyone know how to stop skype and talk from automatically running. i have an app killer but i want to turn these two apps off permentantly.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Only way I know of to turn off Skype permanently, is to uninstall it. If you're talking about Google Talk, this cannot be removed or stopped from running permanently. From what I know, Google Talk seems to tie in to other functions/apps on the Ally, thus removing it is not a good idea or possible (unless you get into rooting the phone).

Can't uninstall the new Skype Mobile app either, unless I'm doing it wrong.

No, Skype can not be uninstalled.
    Motorola Droid 4

My bad.

Looks like the OTA update that has been rolling out over the last couple weeks includes Skype. Another app that VZW is forcing Ally users to have installed I guess. I'm not running "stock" anymore and apologize for not verifying before posting. Looks like you're now stuck with Skype which will run in the background - and even start up again most likely after a task killer would kill the process.

Not even "Manage Applications", which allows killing running apps, works. In fact, more and more apps like Skype, Visual VM, Backup Assistant, and more keep kicking back in if you try to stop them. I hope they will stop adding more and more forced running apps, and new unremovable apps which use up the precious limited memory. Apparently, this is good for Skype, and good for Verizon (as I think it forces you to use 3G and minutes on THEIR plan).

Android is very good at managing processes and memory. If you are not using Skype and its process is running in the background then it is not eating up precious memory. Thats is a "Windows" way of thinking. Start thinking "Linux". p.s. don't use a task killer, ever, you don't need it I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    Android is very good at managing processes and memory. If you are not using Skype and its process is running in the background then it is not eating up precious memory. Thats is a "Windows" way of thinking. Start thinking "Linux". p.s. don't use a task killer, ever, you don't need it I promise.

Yea good advice I quit using a task killer awhile back and now I use the "running services" menu to close any unwanted apps and my battery life is the same or better then the time I used a task killer app and now also I can save some space on my phone

I can close the Skype app and it stays closed until I shutdown/reboot (which I do once a month completely draining the battery and recharging), the only one I can't close is the corporate calender but like you pointed out Android phones are good at managing processes so I don't worry about it

before the update I used to always see the Amazon MP3 and Dual Clock app running in the background but since a factory reset the only unwanted apps I see running are Skype and the Corporate Calendar

Using an ATK is a personal choice. I would much rather let an ATK handle closing unwanted apps than to have to manually use Running Services to close them.
    Motorola Droid 4

On my task killer, it says at the top "available memory 29M". I kill the crap apps, and "available memory 69M". You can't tell me that's not a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links